Windows 10: No drives detected, won't boot if there's a usb plugged in

Discus and support No drives detected, won't boot if there's a usb plugged in in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I switched off my pc during a 'getting windows ready screen' that got stuck due to the fact I didn't want to leave it on over night. The next day when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by YeetYeetus, Apr 27, 2019.

1. No drives detected, won't boot if there's a usb plugged in

I switched off my pc during a 'getting windows ready screen' that got stuck due to the fact I didn't want to leave it on over night. The next day when I tried to boot it, it let off a loud prolonged beep and got stuck in the now very laggy bios menu.

Some research online suggested that it could be because it's trying to boot from usb, and so unplugging all the usbs got everything working perfectly and most devices worked fine when plugged in after the boot apart from my graphics tablet.

Since I need the tablet, I tried to change the bios settings by disabling the usb boot and making sure my drive priorities were correct but it appears that when I manage to get into the bios with an 'all usbs unplugged' boot, none of my hard drives are being detected as the only options in my hard disk drive priority setting in the bios utility is windows boot manager or disabled.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to fix this?

It's near impossible to access the bios on a 'usbs connected' boot as it either loads in the bios laggy and unresponsive or cuts to a black screen after the acer logo with the same prompts to hit f12 or del as shown on the previous screen (this happens despite already hitting those keys, nothing happens on that screen when pressing either keys).

No drives detected, won't boot if there's a usb plugged in [​IMG]

:)

YeetYeetus, Apr 27, 2019
  2. panchoman Win User

Boot linux on USB drive

it might just be that your bios doesn't support it, but it should anyway.

make sure you go into the bios and make sure "boot other device" is enabled and try seeing if the usb is listed as an hdd.. as bootable flash drives are usually picked up as usb hdd's and check if your bios detects the flash drive.

panchoman, Apr 27, 2019
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Apr 27, 2019
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

No drives detected, won't boot if there's a usb plugged in

Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

No drives detected, won't boot if there's a usb plugged in

1. No drives detected, won't boot if there's a usb plugged in - Similar Threads - drives detected won't

2. External USB Drive Sometimes Not Detected at Boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB Drive Sometimes Not Detected at Boot: I have a 2TB external Seagate Expansion USB hard drive connected permanently via USB 3.0 to my desktop PC mainly used for scheduled Reflect backups (I also back up to another USB drive stored elsewhere). The PC is running Windows 10 Pro 21H1 build 19043.1052. Sometimes at...
  3. won't detect that my headphones are plugged in

won't detect that my headphones are plugged in: my dell laptop won't detect that headphones are plugged in. it used to work but now it doesn't. I've tried to update my drivers but there are no updates available. I've tried all the methods they say online but they don't work either as my headphones just aren't detected and...
  4. Device plugged into USB is not detected by laptop

Device plugged into USB is not detected by laptop: I have plugged my MP3 player into the USB socket but is not being detected by my Windows 10 laptop. Please can you help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-plugged-into-usb-is-not-detected-by-laptop/23a0dee5-c240-4c51-b487-4f4318303047
  5. USB plug in Zip Drives

USB plug in Zip Drives: I have several odd zip drives which contain various content. If I plug them in to my usb drive I can pull up their content, but I want to clear the drive for new content. How do I delete all old material from a zip drive?...
  6. Computer won't boot with external drive plugged in.

Computer won't boot with external drive plugged in.: Version 1903 (OS Build 18362. 476) I've got an external drive where I keep many of my private files. I have shortcuts to them on the desktop. No system files are on it. If the drive is plugged in, the computer won't start. It will start only if that drive is unplugged....
  7. USB drive not detected in Windows Explorer when plugged in

USB drive not detected in Windows Explorer when plugged in: Hello all, I've got a bit of a weird problem. I am installing a new notebook (HP ProBook 470) for one of my colleagues. He uses a lot of different USB drives for his work. When I plug in one USB drive, it will not show up in Windows Explorer. So I checked if it will show...
  8. "HDD/SSD failure detected" error when USB drive plugged in

"HDD/SSD failure detected" error when USB drive plugged in: Hi all Having a slightly odd problem. I just moved across the world and took parts of my PC with me but not all - I replaced the case and power supply in my new country. Since rebuilding everything it works completely fine, identical setup, but for some reason when I have my...
  9. USB Plug in Drives

USB Plug in Drives: I am having problems in getting an External DVD Drive recognised by my laptop that is running Windows 10 with 1803. When the laptop is operating and I plug in a Canon Camera SX730-HS the File Explorer immediately recognises the camera yet when I plug in the external DVD...
  10. USB recovery boot drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB recovery boot drive won't boot: I wasn't sure which forum to put this into. I created a backup image on a usb hard drive. I wanted to be able to restore it using a usb recovery thumb drive. I used the create usb recovery tool and created the recovery flash drive. When I try to boot from the flash drive I...