Windows 10: No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10

Discus and support No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When copying files from one folder to another, the OS always warns if there is another folder or file with the same name. It is one of the prominent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 11, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10

When copying files from one folder to another, the OS always warns if there is another folder or file with the same name. It is one of the prominent features of File Explorer, which makes sure the same files are not overwritten without consent. In case you are not receiving any duplicate warning when copy or move files and folders in Windows 10, here is how to fix it.

No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10 No-duplicate-warning-message-700x394.png

When does it occur?

Assume you have a folder with the name TWC in both source and destination. When you copy TWC from source to destination, and Windows sees the TWC folder in destination, it will merge whatever you copy from the source into the destination TWC folder. While this works for most users, if you want to be notified that there is a folder with the same name, you need to enable the warning suing Folder option. It comes in handy when there are merging a large number of folders that may have the same folder name, and you want to note them,

No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10 Duplicate-Folder-Warning-Merge-Windows.png

No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders

If you do not see Confirm File or Folder Replace confirmation box when copying or moving them, then you need to change the Folder Merge Conflict setting. Since this behavior can cause an issue, here is how to fix it using Folder Options. Be aware that this will only change for your account and not for other users. Individual users can change this option as per their needs.

• Open File Explorer and click on the View tab.
    • Click on Options > Change Folder and Search Options.
    • It’ll open the Folder Options window. Now go to the “View” tab
    • Here locate the option Hide folder merge conflicts.
    • If it’s checked, uncheck the option and apply the changes.

No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10 hide-folder-merge-warning.png

Once done, when you copy files and a conflict when folders are merged, you will be warned.

I hope the post was easy to understand, and you were able to get the duplicate warning when you copy the file or move the folder in Windows 10.

No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10 No-duplicate-warning-message.png
    This article No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 11, 2021
  2. videotoys Win User

No Duplicate Folder Warning when moving files.

With older versions of windows I would get a warning "Destination contains a folder with the same name" This was very helpful when moving files, which I do on a daily basis. Now I don't get a warning, it just moves the files into the same named folder, so
    I have no clue there was already a folder with that name.

Is there any way to enable a duplicate folder warning? That way I know if a folder has already be created with the name.

Example: I have a folder called Album, in the album there's a file called Song1, in a different folder I have a folder called Album and it has a file called Song01... The files are the same but the folders now automatically move without notifying me I already
    had a folder called Album and now I have Song1 and Song01 in the same folder without knowing.

It used to notify me and I could check the destination folder so I'm not wasting my time moving files that are already there and/or leaving duplicate files with different names in a folder to only come across later if I happen to check that folder.

videotoys, May 11, 2021
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, May 11, 2021
  4. videotoys Win User

No Duplicate Folder Warning when moving files.

So, no change, as suspected.

I created a new user tried again, still copying files into folders with the same name without notification that there's a folder with the same name already. Did the sfc /scannow and it didn't find any integrity violations....

I'm guessing this is a OS issue. Is there somewhere I can suggest an addition to the OS? I'm guessing it wasn't considered in windows 10, but I used that feature all the time.

Try it yourself. Make a folder called A on the desktop and make a folder called A in a different location, the same drive or different drive it doesn't matter, then find 1 file, anything called whatever. copy that file to each folder and rename it in one
    of them. Now move either folder into the same directory. No notification that there's a folder called A right? And it merged both files into the one folder? I'd rather it tell me there's a folder called A already where I'm copying/moving files into. That's
    all I'm asking for. Thanks for your suggestions though. If I find a solution I'll post it here so people don't have this same problem, or at least there would be one out here.

videotoys, May 11, 2021
Thema:

1. No Duplicate Warning when Copying or Moving Files and Folders in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Duplicate Warning Copying

2. Duplicate File Copies in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate File Copies in OneDrive: When I installed OneDrive, I found that I have hundreds of duplicate files ending in "- Copy.*" These occur in the original folders and also the OneDrive folders. How do I delete all of the copies? Will this continue to occur?...
  3. No merge conflict warning when pasting duplicate files.

No merge conflict warning when pasting duplicate files.: I'm trying to create a backup of some pictures on a flash drive that already has a lot of images on. Normally, when I go to paste something, if there is a duplicate I get a warning notification window which gives me the option to skip, replace or rename the file. However,...
  4. Duplicate copy music files

Duplicate copy music files: I've recently been transferring files to hard drives and I've notice the original file path now shows a duplicate file with a copy tag. I have tried to uncheck file merge path through settings. Is it possible to remove duplicates, rather than individual deleting? Best...
  5. New files/folders move to main display when copied/created

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New files/folders move to main display when copied/created: Sometimes when I drag a file/folder to my desktop from a different location, it will move it to my main display and align it with the rest. Auto arrange is turned off. The same goes if I create a folder on my second display, it will appear when I want to create it, I name it...
  6. Auto duplicating action on file copy/move

Auto duplicating action on file copy/move: Hello, a problem happens with me many times in the latest version of Windows 10 and in older versions as well. When copying/ moving files Windows asks me what to do with files with same name that do already exist. Write over/ skip/ add both. This is the normal situation....
  7. Is there a way to skip duplicate files when copying?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to skip duplicate files when copying?: I have a 3TB external hard drive that I use to backup large files. Usually, I just drag and drop the folders from my laptop to the external drive and Windows gives me an option to skip duplicate files AFTER it copies the new files. That has been working fine but now I am...
  8. duplicate files when copying folder with GUI

duplicate files when copying folder with GUI: When I try copy user folders quite often I get the message that folder/file already exists, I copy c:\program data or c:\users user folders from one hard drive to a brand new computer with brand new hard disk, so that folder/file absolutely sure doesn't exist on the new one,...
  9. Moving/Copying files and folders in Windows 10

Moving/Copying files and folders in Windows 10: I have just lost a folder of files that I meant to copy from one location to another location on the same drive. I meant to copy the files, but instead I moved them. Realizing my mistake, I used the "Undo" function and now the files/folders have completely disappeared ......
  10. Network folder crashes when I try to copy or move a file

in Windows 10 Support
    Network folder crashes when I try to copy or move a file: Hi, Recently I tried to copy or move a file from a network folder and whenever I try that, the network folder and connection crashes. I tried installing ccleaner to fix all the broken links , did updates, changed the name of the laptop, rejoined the domain but it still...