Windows 10: No effect upon pressing <fn> and a function key

Discus and support No effect upon pressing and a function key in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have an ASUS laptop, K52JC, it used to perform certain function when combination of <fn> key and a function key are pressed simultaneously. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Patrick_Yeung, Aug 1, 2018.

1. No effect upon pressing and a function key

I have an ASUS laptop, K52JC, it used to perform certain function when combination of <fn> key and a function key are pressed simultaneously. For example -

• Pressing <fn> and <F10> simultaneously will mute the sound

• Pressing <fn> and <F11> simultaneously will decrease the volume

• Pressing <fn> and <F12> simultaneously will increase the volume, and so forth

I have its Windows 10 re-installed recently. Everything works fine after the installation, except when combination of <fn> key and a function key are pressed simultaneously, no effect seems to be generated, as the computer does not respond accordingly.

Please advise how to resolve the above problem.

:)

Patrick_Yeung, Aug 1, 2018
  2. 5DVX0130 Win User

FN key always on

If you press “Num Lock" (might also be labeled "Num Lk”) (I’ve also seen it labeled “Pad Lock” for numeric Pad) it turns on the blue keys, and inverts the meaning of the “Fn” key – it’s a way to use that embedded numeric keypad without having to hold down the “Fn” key the entire time. To fix it, just find and press the “Num Lock” or “Pad Lock” key again. (Note, sometimes these keys are themselves “Fn” keys, so you may, or may not, need to also hold down the “Fn” key to get the right function.) Often there is an indicator light associated with the setting.

5DVX0130, Aug 1, 2018
  3. New laptop FN keys not working [Solved]

Ummm, that is normal - depending on the function you are doing (assuming I understand what you are saying).

On a notebook, the Fn key is like a shift key that switches in a different set of functions for the F-Keys.

For example, in Windows pressing the F5 key typically refreshes the display. In File Explorer, it will refresh the displayed files. In a browser, it will refresh (reload) the webpage. But pressing Fn + F5 does something different, depending on your notebook. On my Toshiba notebook, if I hold down the Fn key and press F5, it switches the video output of my notebook between the notebook monitor, a connected external monitor, or both.

Bill_Bright, Aug 1, 2018
  4. P4-630 Win User

No effect upon pressing and a function key

New laptop FN keys not working [Solved]

Exactly what I was used to do, pressing the FN key with an F key but that didn't work....
    If I press the FN key I get f1 f2 f3 and so on.

It was just the other way around, but I figured it out now.*Smile No effect upon pressing <fn> and a function key :)

P4-630, Aug 1, 2018
Thema:

No effect upon pressing and a function key

1. No effect upon pressing and a function key - Similar Threads - effect upon pressing

2. Whenever I press the FN key, the function keys don't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whenever I press the FN key, the function keys don't work: My function keys on my USB keyboard don't work whenever I press "fn". e.g I can press F2 to change a file's name and it works just fine, but if I press fn + F2 to lower the volume, it doesn't work, and it's the same for the rest of the function keys, they work all just fine...
  3. Whenever I press the FN key, the function keys don't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whenever I press the FN key, the function keys don't work: My function keys on my USB keyboard don't work whenever I press "fn". e.g I can press F2 to change a file's name and it works just fine, but if I press fn + F2 to lower the volume, it doesn't work, and it's the same for the rest of the function keys, they work all just fine...
  4. Fn key to brightness not functioning properly

Fn key to brightness not functioning properly: Hello,Briefly: Fn key combination with the brightness adjuster keys in my case, F4 and 5 is malfunctioning. I can see the bar pop up when I use the buttons, but the slider only increases and decreases once, no matter how many times I press the buttons. The brightness remains...
  5. When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...: When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it makes the function of “windows” key. What can I do?...
  6. When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...

When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it...: When I press “windows” key it makes the function of “fn” key and when I press “fn” key it makes the function of “windows” key. What can I do?...
  7. What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?

What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?: While trying to solve another issue I found these weird key combinations with uncertain functions. BTW, my PC is DELL XPS 13 9310, Windows 10 Pro Build 19044.What are these keys? And is it documented somewhere? Are there more such functions?Key combinationScan codeTested...
  8. I keep having to press Alt + Fn to use function keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I keep having to press Alt + Fn to use function keys: I know this might sound very simple but i wasnt able to find any solutionafter formating my laptop i had to press alt + fn instead of just fn to use f keys and it's really annoying so if someone knows the solution please let me know.laptop specs in the picture...
  9. I keep having to press Alt + Fn to use function keys

I keep having to press Alt + Fn to use function keys: I know this might sound very simple but i wasnt able to find any solutionafter formating my laptop i had to press alt + fn instead of just fn to use f keys and it's really annoying so if someone knows the solution please let me know.laptop specs in the picture...
  10. Function key (Fn) is not working!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Function key (Fn) is not working!: When i press Fn + F1 or any other combination nothing happens. I have troubleshooted, restarted and tried many fixes. Please help! It's a Toshiba laptop. The issue has been occuring for a long time....