Windows 10: No email associates ?

Discus and support No email associates ? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Win 10 Home, 10586.318 Default browser : IE11 WLM 2012 I have been receiving this for a few weeks now. See screenshot at the end. Does anyone... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by davidhk, May 27, 2016.

1. davidhk Win User

No email associates ?

Win 10 Home, 10586.318
    Default browser : IE11
    WLM 2012

I have been receiving this for a few weeks now. See screenshot at the end.
    Does anyone have a clue what is it about ?

*** Other than the message, all my 2 email accounts are working as they should. ***

I am using WLM 2012 as my default.
    Email accounts configured in WLM : one POP protocol account ( Bell.net ) and one Hotmail account.
    I also have the same Hotmail account added to the Mail app. Just this account. No bell.net.

I frequently receive this " no email associates" message and I don't have a clue what is that all about.
    It might have something to do with the pending WLM not supported by Mail app ?
    Do you think if I delete the Hotmail account from my WLM, that message will stop ?

No email associates ? [​IMG]

:)

davidhk, May 27, 2016
  2. KrzyKP25 Win User

email association.

I have had my computer for a month, out of no where i got the message that the email wasn't associated? there are mail apps installed on the computer that i use, i tried to change default settings in settings, and the control panel, but i still get the message.
    c

Can anyone explain this?

KrzyKP25, May 27, 2016
  3. email association.

Hi,

I realize that you get the message email wasn't associated. I will try to help you with this issue.

If you have made any changes to the PC then you may want to restore the PC to a previous date to check if that helps.

• Press “Windows key + R” to get the run window.

• Type “rstrui” and hit enter.

• Select the desired restore point and proceed with the restore.
    Important: System Restore will not revert any of the non-system files like documents, email, music, etc. to a previous state. These types files are completely unaffected by System Restore. If your intention with this tool was
    to recover a deleted non-system file, try using a file recovery program instead of System Restore.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, May 27, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

No email associates ?

Hi David,

What action are you requesting when you receive this message?

It could be that your default protocol for Mailto is not set. You will find this in "Choose default applications by protocol"

philc43, Jun 10, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User

Adding :
    I have been using WLM since its introduction to general public.
    This issue started only recently, about 2 months ago.

davidhk, Jun 10, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    What action are you requesting when you receive the error message?

I am assuming it is triggered when you click on some mailto link which is why I was asking about the protocols. Another one to check is how you have Mailto defined in the Registry? Look for an entry in HKLM\Software\Classes\Mailto

philc43, Jun 10, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Here is what I usually do in a daily basis :
    I open WLM > check for emails > then minimize it to taskbar, and I will leave it there until I logout.
    Not right away, but sometime later, that stupid message will show its face > I'll "x" it out > the same message will reappear sometime later > I'll just "x" it out again. It does NOT show up repeatedly. So, it is not exactly an annoyance.
    That's it.

davidhk, Jun 10, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

No email associates ?

Thanks for the further explanation of the error. Not knowing what triggers it makes it hard to fix - and the error message implied some action was requested. Maybe someone else will recognise what it is.

philc43, Jun 10, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    It's OK.
    I posted this question just wanting to know.
    The issue is not an annoyance. I can live with it.

Thanks anyway.

davidhk, Jun 10, 2016
  10. Take a look at filetype associations in Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol ...
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations

Scroll down to .eml - what pgm is associated?

Also scroll down to the MAILTO protocol - what pgm is associated?

Slartybart, Jun 10, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    eml :

There is no MailTo protocol listed

davidhk, Jun 10, 2016
  12. Ok, .eml filetype is assigned to WLM

You need to scroll down to the Protocols section for MAILTO

You might also want to check Set Program Access and Computer Defaults to make sure WLM is the default e-mail.

Slartybart, Jun 10, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

No email associates ?

.........You need to scroll down to the Protocols section for MAILTO.............

.............You might also want to check Set Program Access and Computer Defaults to make sure WLM is the default e-mail.

It does not matter how many times I dotted Widows Live Mail > OK
    The dot will return back to "Use my current email program ".
    It has been so since Windows 7.

Set your default program

davidhk, Jun 10, 2016
  14. Thanks and yeah, Set Program Access and Computer Defaults always shows Use my current... even after you set it.
    I just wanted you to set it to see if that made any change to the issue. Things don't always stick and you have to force it.

I would probably chalk it up to the changes MS is making to Outlook.com - that means they are also changing the Mail App. I'm not sure there's anything to do at this point.

I'd leave it alone until after 16 June when MS finalizes the change to the sync mechanism on Outlook.com

There's not much to go on ... just a msg pops up. Do you know if it's something you're running or something running in the background?

Try this: navigate to %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
    Drill down to one of your mail folders (I don't know the folder names on your system)
    Double click any Windows Live Mail Email Message (.eml) file
    Does Windows ask how to open the file or does the file open in WLM?

If it asks, is there an Always use this app to open ... check box?
    Ok last thing - check that box and pick WLM

That's about all I have ... good luck

Slartybart, Jun 10, 2016
  15. philc43 Win User
    Just out of interest try this test:

Type wordpad in the search box and open the app.
    Click on File and then select "send in email"

See which email program opens or if you get an error.

philc43, Jun 11, 2016
Thema:

No email associates ?

1. No email associates ? - Similar Threads - email associates

2. Microsoft safety features - unknown associated email

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft safety features - unknown associated email: Hi, I have an issue while signing in Microsoft safety features on PC Windows 10. It doesn't recognize correct Microsoft password and for recovery shows unknown associated email. Please advise, how to fix it....
  3. Microsoft safety features - unknown associated email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft safety features - unknown associated email: Hi, I have an issue while signing in Microsoft safety features on PC Windows 10. It doesn't recognize correct Microsoft password and for recovery shows unknown associated email. Please advise, how to fix it....
  4. Microsoft safety features - unknown associated email

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Need to remove an account from my device and no longer have access to the email associated...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to remove an account from my device and no longer have access to the email associated...: About seven years ago I was bullied out of the business that I had the account under the email address and he will not cooperate with me to give me the code so I could log on and delete it. I no longer remember what passwords were used then to reset it through no longer...
  6. Need to remove an account from my device and no longer have access to the email associated...

Need to remove an account from my device and no longer have access to the email associated...: About seven years ago I was bullied out of the business that I had the account under the email address and he will not cooperate with me to give me the code so I could log on and delete it. I no longer remember what passwords were used then to reset it through no longer...
  7. Need to remove an account from my device and no longer have access to the email associated...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Recover access to Microsoft Live account where there is no access to the associated email...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Recover access to Microsoft Live account where there is no access to the associated email...: Hi,My dad's PC is refusing to boot into Windows. I want to revert the OS to an earlier version however I need the bitlocker key to do that. Unfortunately my dad cannot recall the password for Microsoft Live to access the bitlocker key, and although I thought I had a note of...
  9. There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. I am trying to send...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. I am trying to send...: There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. I am trying to send my resume out in an email, and this is what I get. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-no-email-program-associated-to-perform/149b0b29-2be5-4203-9604-8f99e2e34b95
  10. There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. I am trying to send...

There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. I am trying to send...: There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. I am trying to send my resume out in an email, and this is what I get. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-no-email-program-associated-to-perform/149b0b29-2be5-4203-9604-8f99e2e34b95