Windows 10: No external devices issue-why?

Discus and support No external devices issue-why? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I suspect it's because of some update windows dl without me knowing, but just yesterday when I plugged my phone via USB or tablet or any external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by binks, Jun 25, 2016.

1. binks Win User

No external devices issue-why?

I suspect it's because of some update windows dl without me knowing, but just yesterday when I plugged my phone via USB or tablet or any external device for that matter, it did pop up in Windows Explorer as new usb device connected and I could transfer data to and from it. Today when I plug in any of those devices(phone, tablet, flash drive) they don't. I can't even see them in Disk Managment.
    Now I haven't made any tweaks in my system, I didn't installed anything new, what's more - I haven't made any changes on my phone as well. And yet, yesterday it worked, today it doesn't.
    What could be an issue here? Is it indeed some broken update?
    And most of all how to fix this?

:)

binks, Jun 25, 2016

2. external device issues

Were these Sharing settings on the right click context menu?

Is it possible this was software that comes with the external (normally for backup) that is often problematic to the point I suggest moving files off to wipe the drive with Diskpart Clean Command to clear it of code that can interfere.

I'm going to strongly suggest that you read over and consider doing the Clean Install in this link which has no reported complaints from millions of consumers who have used the same install since Windows 7 release, and will teach you how to become the master
    of your PC because you will learn everything that works best and have applied it with your own hands., I am the author and will help you as much as you need and will not let you fail. Many people have told me it was a game changing experience. Not one has
    complained or come back with problems.

Take your time to read and digest it and then ask back as many questions as you have.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 25, 2016
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you might try post #3 here:
    USB ports not working - Windows 10 Forums

It's always worth searching the forum (I searched for
    usb ports not working
    for you as I know this issue has occurred already)

There are more threads if that doesn't help. If not resolved, please post back with what you've tried.

dalchina, Jun 26, 2016
  5. binks Win User
    Thank you for that, but unlike poster in that thread my USB devices worked and I had no problems with them until few days ago when they just stopped. Now whatever I plug in to my USB out in my computer doesn't work. No matter if it is my phone, memory stick, external HDD. It just stopped detecting any eternal devices.

binks, Jun 27, 2016
  6. fdegrove Win User
    fdegrove, Jun 27, 2016
  7. binks Win User
    Thx for that. Although this didn't solved the problem, in device manager under USB root hub there was a problem(code 43) what I did was uninstalled this device and installed it again using driver from my motherboard manufacturer. So far this works.

binks, Jun 27, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

OK. Good to hear that.
    You were probably experiencing some resource conflicts.

Best, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 27, 2016
  9. binks Win User
    Although I thought the issue is solved, it's not. Next day after powering off my machine and turning it on, the issue has come back. But now I did checked device manager and there is no conflict or shut down device. Everything looks fine. I tried to install USB drivers from my motherboard as I did the last time but installer told me that there is no supported device found. What do you guys think I should do now?

binks, Jun 30, 2016
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

In case you have "Fast On" enabled can you please disable it and reinstall all the USB drivers followed by a reboot or reset ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 30, 2016
  11. binks Win User
    Thx for that but I did try it and there are no changes. System as before doesn't see any USB devices. I've tried plugging external HDD directly from my desktop via 3 different USB ports(I've got 2 on the front). Plugged cable to the usb ports on the front of my pc, and tried one at the back. I've tried using USB hub but still nothing.

binks, Jun 30, 2016
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Assuming no errors for USB ports in device manager have you checked event viewer for any errors relating to the USB devices ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 30, 2016
  13. binks Win User

Forgot about that previously but I've jus done that. Nothing
    The only error I saw was regarding some nvidia
    Code: Faulting application name: NvStreamNetworkService.exe, version: 7.1.2084.9592, time stamp: 0x57605ac0 Faulting module name: MessageBus.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5760534f Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000000010f73 Faulting process ID: 0xc10 Faulting application start time: 0x01d1d3c2e1e9cc34 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NvStreamSrv\NvStreamNetworkService.exe Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NvStreamSrv\MessageBus.dll Report ID: e8af145e-33a6-40f0-a3f8-7c3e7b102592[/quote] The rest was just Information.
    Just to be sure that I'm not crazy here. This is how Device manager looks like with ext HDD connected->
    No external devices issue-why? [​IMG]

And this is what I'm seeing in Disk Manager also with HDD connected->
    No external devices issue-why? [​IMG]

As you can see system don't even see the external device. *Sad

binks, Jun 30, 2016
  14. Berton Win User
    I keep 3 External USB HDDs connected [2 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0] and have never seen them listed in the USB section of Device Manage. They do show in the Disk Drives section and in Disk Management.

Berton, Jun 30, 2016
  15. Shut down your machine
    Disconnect all USB devices (exceptions: mouse & keybd)
    Restart

Download and un-zip: Drive Tools for Windows (current version v 1.2.0)
    Launch DriveCleanup as Administrator

Device manager > Uninstall all devices under the controller section
    Answer yes to remove Software if prompted

Restart your machine

Connect each USB device one-at-a-time
    Manually run Windows Update
    Let WU provide the drivers

Slartybart, Jun 30, 2016
Thema:

1. No external devices issue-why? - Similar Threads - external devices issue

2. why i get issue on Bluetooth devices?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why i get issue on Bluetooth devices?: i connected my Bluetooth headphone in my through the bluetooth adapter i listen media things by it but when i call some one by any social platform from my pc i am facing a problem ?...
  3. why i get issue on Bluetooth devices?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why i get issue on Bluetooth devices?: i connected my Bluetooth headphone in my through the bluetooth adapter i listen media things by it but when i call some one by any social platform from my pc i am facing a problem ?...
  4. External Camera Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Camera Device: How do I connect Nikon D3300 to my PC to view photos or download photos to my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-camera-device/5cd9ba3c-c451-4875-9d17-964916b51311
  5. External Devices

External Devices: How can i get my routers history to find out if my gf is sending out uploads via ethernet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-devices/22e50db1-4d77-45e0-95ea-943ddef554ea
  6. Connection of external device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connection of external device: How to connect external disc Western Digital 2 TB, whic is in the same network, with Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connection-of-external-device/45f89799-27c3-4fb9-bfd2-81fd8987a525
  7. External Device error

External Device error: Good Day, After the latest Windows 10 update on my home pc as well as work laptop, when i connect my external hard drive first it showed "file directory invalid", now it gives me Access Denied error message. The external drive works fine on any other older windows device....
  8. External Encrypted devices

in Windows 10 Support
    External Encrypted devices: Hi, Is it possible to have/set up an external encrypted hard drive (USB) on Windows that can be used on other machines where I don not have Administrative access (to install any thing). I think it would need an pure portable implementation of that encryption host. Or is...
  9. external devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    external devices: I can't see a specific hard drive in the list. It shows the C drive and one other external hard drive but will no display my Lacie Fuel. This problem just occurred. In the past it has shown up....
  10. No external devices issue-why?

No external devices issue-why?: I suspect it's because of some update W dl without me knowing, but just yesterday when I pluged my phone via USB or tablet or any external device for that matter, it did pop up in Windows Explorer and I could transfer data to and from it. Today when I plug in any of those...