Windows 10: no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive?

Discus and support no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; If I do a fresh install. What are some safe online sites I can back up my files? Drop box or one drive? Suggestions? 37014 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by vejichan, Jan 10, 2016.

1. vejichan Win User

no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive?

If I do a fresh install. What are some safe online sites I can back up my files? Drop box or one drive? Suggestions?

:)

vejichan, Jan 10, 2016

2. Can you back up a labtop running on windows 10 and restore that data on a new labtop or pc if something goes wrong with the other one?

Hi im wanting to know about restoring computer data that would be backed up on an a segate external hardrive, what i want to do in the near future is an image backup on my labtop to a external HD, and if any thing goes wrong with the labtop for example
    the hard drive is fry'd or there is no display on the screen anymore would i be able to take that backup and restore all the data from the external hardrive onto a new pc or labtop as long as its the same operating system and windows.

Archambault93, Jan 10, 2016
  3. Palcouk Win User
    How to Back Up my Data ? Before upgrading to windows 10 ?

There is no point in creating a partition on a single drive to store backups on.

The most common cause of data loss is a hardrive failure, and if that happens all partitions are lost

All versions of win have a built in Backup program

In Start >search programs and files.....type backup.......double click the resulting shortcut

You backup to an external drive, or if your a professional, you backup to an external drive
    and a cloud based off-line backup

MS Office has OneDrive, there is also DropBox and various others

Palcouk, Jan 10, 2016
  4. sn00ker Win User

I like Mega
    MEGA

sn00ker, Jan 10, 2016
  5. External drives are cheap now. So, if this data is important to you, invest in a drive so you can always have a backup (locally).

DeaconFrost, Jan 10, 2016
  6. snoopy51 Win User
    It depends on the amount of data. If large amount of data, consider a local external hard drive. They are cheap now and you can access it locally quick without any delay of downloading. On the other hands if you have 100 GB of data, an online backup will be slow to recover all your data!

We have used Dropbox, One Drive and Carbonite for online backup without any problem.

snoopy51, Jan 10, 2016
  7. vejichan Win User
    Which online drive has the most space?

vejichan, Jan 10, 2016
  8. snoopy51 Win User

Drop Box basic has a free space of 2 GB and can upgrade to 100 GB or 1 TB in the pro plan and Business plan.
    One Drive has free space of 5 GB and also can upgrade to 1 TB. I don't remember the price for each plan. You need to check their web site.
    Some time One Drive is bundled with Office 365 Business plan. Drop Box can goes above 1 TB in the business plan.

snoopy51, Jan 11, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    If you value your data, I would recommend to buy an external disk. For larger amounts of data they do not cost more than the rented extra space at the online sites.

10. Molyy Win User
    External hard drives can save backups for system or whole hard drive. I'd say that is quite necessary.

Molyy, Jan 11, 2016
  11. vejichan Win User
    Thanks but I don't have that much on my PC.. If it breaks I'll just get a new one.

QUOTE=Molyy;531671]External hard drives can save backups for system or whole hard drive. I'd say that is quite necessary.[/QUOTE]

vejichan, Jan 11, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    Why not buy a cheap usb stick then for you MOST CRITICAL data?

cereberus, Jan 11, 2016
  13. snoopy51 Win User

vejichan:

I have done over 50+ windows 10 upgrades on various configurations. This is my procedure:

Step 1. Backup the whole hard drive using Acronis True Image to an external USB hard drive on site. This include diagnostic partitions and others from the PC manufacturer.
    Step 2. Run Windows 10 Upgrade program from the USB thumb drive.
    Step 3. Customize and install additional programs as needed.
    Step 4. Backup the image to my NAS for safe keeping for a short period, not more than two months.

Since you don't have that much data, may be a 64 (or 128) GB USB flash drive is enough to contain your data. You can get a 64 GB for under $30. Don't forget your data is priceless!

snoopy51, Jan 11, 2016
  14. vejichan Win User
    How many gigs do I need for 4000 pics?

vejichan, Jan 11, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Depends entirely on how big/how high resolution the photos are. Typical photo is about 3 mb max so:

3 mb * 4000 / 1000 = 12 gb rated capacity.

(yes, I know there are 1024 mb in a gb before someone corrects me technically)

Those would be usual home digital camera type photos. Downloaded/emailed/selfie photos would be considerably less.

NavyLCDR, Jan 11, 2016
Thema:

1. no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive? - Similar Threads - external hardrive backup

2. Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive: my c drive was low on storage so when i tried to clear up some space by copying the files to the hard drive i get a message saying that its unable to copy the files because the c drive is low on storage. The computer somehow thinks that i am trying to copy the files to the C...
  3. Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive: my c drive was low on storage so when i tried to clear up some space by copying the files to the hard drive i get a message saying that its unable to copy the files because the c drive is low on storage. The computer somehow thinks that i am trying to copy the files to the C...
  4. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it: I'm wondering if I want to create a windows backup and I choose the D drive which where I already have some documents on it, the backup will automatically delete the files or will create an folder and the other stuff next to the folder I already have on it? I just have a...
  5. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it: I'm wondering if I want to create a windows backup and I choose the D drive which where I already have some documents on it, the backup will automatically delete the files or will create an folder and the other stuff next to the folder I already have on it? I just have a...
  6. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. External Hardrive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hardrive: How do i access my external HARDRIVE on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hardrive/216895a8-343c-4b49-93f2-d71f988de2a4
  8. Trying to set Dropbox as default backup drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to set Dropbox as default backup drive: Just got a new laptop and it wants me to use onedrive as the default drive but I have to pay for it. I already pay for Dropbox and want it to be my preferent drive how do I do that? submitted by /u/taviSTakahashi [link] [comments]...
  9. File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive?: Hi, I'd like to use the same usb drive to backup multiple computers. They have the same user id, so I was wondering if the backups would be kept in different directories. Please let me know exactly how multiple computer/users/ etc. are stored with File History. (and if...
  10. Backing file to USB external hardrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backing file to USB external hardrive: Having trouble using external hard drive to backup computer will not accept external settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-file-to-usb-external-hardrive/e7277ad3-9cbf-4c15-9b33-13d0f0538be9"