Windows 10: no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive?

Discus and support no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Sure, as long as space available is relative to image compression. Might take a while though.*Smile Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by vejichan, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Word Man Win User

no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive?

Sure, as long as space available is relative to image compression. Might take a while though.*Smile

Word Man, Jan 12, 2016
  2. zplugger Win User

Looks like One Drive is 15 GB, my Windows 10 drive uses about 25 GB. You can buy more storage.

zplugger, Jan 12, 2016
  3. Word Man Win User
    Yeah, vejichan, like Bob Cat suggests, try it and let us know how it goes - or not. Idle minds want to know.

Word Man, Jan 12, 2016
  4. no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive?

No, you can't use OneDrive to back up an entire computer.

It's been said many times, so I'll repeat it again. If you have files that you want backed up, invest in an external drive. This is a great time to buy, as they are priced very well. If the data is important to you, then the drive won't be too expensive. Costs less than replacing the data, right?

Save yourself time and from asking the same questions over and over. Just go get an external drive and safeguard your data.

DeaconFrost, Jan 12, 2016
  5. vejichan Win User
    External hard drive...I have one..hp passport...100$. has 5000 pics and all my info...but I can't retrieve them...one day I'll get someone who is pc savvy to get those important pics back. So I don't trust external hard drives.....had drop box for two years...didn't cost me a dime...works great!!

vejichan, Jan 12, 2016
  6. Microsoft has reduced free storage to 5gb only. Keep your files locally.

chunnuhardy, Jan 13, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    My daughter's car didn't start a few days ago, so I don't trust cars. Same logic, right?

For priceless, irreplaceable data it is wise to maintain two backups in addition to the working copy. One backup on-site and one backup off-site. Everything fails over time and you need two backups for when your working copy fails and then you try to recover from your on-site backup and you discover that something is wrong with it. The on-site backup is wise because it is readily available for immediate use and you are in physical control of it. The off-site backup is wise in case your on-site backup gets destroyed by fire, flood or terrorist attack.

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

what's the problem with external storage --if you can afford a mobile phone or a monthly ISP (Internet) connection you most certainly should be able to affor external storage.

If you split Windows into its own partition a decent backup could probably fit into 35 GB of space so even an external 64GB USB stick would be good enough and have sufficient space for the bckup. You could also have the bootable recovery program on the same stick so making this easy for a bare metal restore.

In any case even a 2TB external portable self powered USB 3 drive can be had for well under 100 USD these days -- a 500GB one for really peanuts.

AS for DATA backups -- in some (probably a large number f cases) your DATA might be more valuable than the computer itself --just think of difficult to re-create music collections etc -- while people might stream a lot of music these days I still think they also want to have their own collections - especially for playing UNCOMPRESSED high quality music through decent high end equipment.

Cheap external HDD's are a NO BRAINER now,

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 13, 2016
  10. vejichan Win User
    From my experience online storage is more reliable and definitely cheaper than any external usb storage

vejichan, Jan 13, 2016
  11. vejichan Win User
    How do u delete mega account?

vejichan, Jan 13, 2016
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    I think this is a minority report.

13. pparks1 Win User

External drives are great, and they are cheap. But it is just a hard drive, in an external case. That hard drive can fail just as well as the hard drive in your computer.

Having data in 1 place, is a BAD idea. An external hard drive should store a backup copy on the data on your computer hard drive. If you are going to store directly on the external drive, buy a second external drive so that you have a second copy. And try to keep it off site in case of fire, flood, or robbery.

Online solutions work well two. The biggest issues are security, amount of space and time to upload. Safety here is good as data is usually stored in cloud as well as synced to local pc.

pparks1, Jan 13, 2016
  14. My wife and I each bought 1 TB external WD drives to use as backups for our ultrabooks. They were $50 each, USB 3.0 compatible, and from a very reliable brand in Western Digital. Where are you going to get 1 TB of online space for $50 total?

DeaconFrost, Jan 13, 2016
  15. It is paid, I believe $50 a year, but we use Zenfolio. My wife is an amateur photographer and does photo shoots as fundraising for her Crohn's & Colitis Foundation. Worth the money for us, because it is unlimited in size and number of photos, accepts any photo type, and allows us to share however we want. She can create directories and put individual passwords on them, so only certain people can see certain photos. They can be shared on social media sites, etc. Point is, for $50 a year, we get unlimited storage and full control.

We still keep the photos locally, and you should to on that external drive you should be buying.

DeaconFrost, Jan 13, 2016
Thema:

1. no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive? - Similar Threads - external hardrive backup

2. Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive: my c drive was low on storage so when i tried to clear up some space by copying the files to the hard drive i get a message saying that its unable to copy the files because the c drive is low on storage. The computer somehow thinks that i am trying to copy the files to the C...
  3. Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive: my c drive was low on storage so when i tried to clear up some space by copying the files to the hard drive i get a message saying that its unable to copy the files because the c drive is low on storage. The computer somehow thinks that i am trying to copy the files to the C...
  4. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it: I'm wondering if I want to create a windows backup and I choose the D drive which where I already have some documents on it, the backup will automatically delete the files or will create an folder and the other stuff next to the folder I already have on it? I just have a...
  5. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it: I'm wondering if I want to create a windows backup and I choose the D drive which where I already have some documents on it, the backup will automatically delete the files or will create an folder and the other stuff next to the folder I already have on it? I just have a...
  6. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. External Hardrive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hardrive: How do i access my external HARDRIVE on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hardrive/216895a8-343c-4b49-93f2-d71f988de2a4
  8. Trying to set Dropbox as default backup drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to set Dropbox as default backup drive: Just got a new laptop and it wants me to use onedrive as the default drive but I have to pay for it. I already pay for Dropbox and want it to be my preferent drive how do I do that? submitted by /u/taviSTakahashi [link] [comments]...
  9. File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive?: Hi, I'd like to use the same usb drive to backup multiple computers. They have the same user id, so I was wondering if the backups would be kept in different directories. Please let me know exactly how multiple computer/users/ etc. are stored with File History. (and if...
  10. Backing file to USB external hardrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backing file to USB external hardrive: Having trouble using external hard drive to backup computer will not accept external settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-file-to-usb-external-hardrive/e7277ad3-9cbf-4c15-9b33-13d0f0538be9"