Windows 10: No file associations after Windows version upgrades

Discus and support No file associations after Windows version upgrades in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, does anyone have an idea why I always lose my standard file associations when I update Windows 10 with a new feature update through Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by UdoBehm, Jun 30, 2020.

1. UdoBehm Win User

No file associations after Windows version upgrades

Hi, does anyone have an idea why I always lose my standard file associations when I update Windows 10 with a new feature update through Windows Update?? All the time I'm losing my already made program file type associations. Windows always wants to know what program I want to open a file with and I have to define all my associations again after a version update... Would like them to remain the same when coming version updates are being installed on my system. Thanks for your help!

:)

UdoBehm, Jun 30, 2020
  2. mandoist Win User

File Association Helper in Startup

from another forum on May 6, 2018:
    You can uninstall File Association Helper in less than 5 minutes. Here are the steps to follow:

Step 1 — Uninstall File Association Helper via Control Panel

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel.
    Then go to Uninstall a program > locate File Association Helper in the list and select it
    Select Uninstall > wait until Windows completely removes FAH from your PC.
    Restart your PC.
    Step 2 — Clean the Registry Editor

Now that you removed the program, you also need to remove any traces or file changes associated with it. To do that, you need to open the Registry Editor.

Go to Start > type “regedit” > launch the Registry Editor
    Locate the following keys and delete them:
    KEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareFile Association Helper
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareFile Association Helper

Step 3 — Check all the hidden files and folders

File Association Helper may have left behind various hidden files and folders. In order to completely remove the software, you can also need to delete these files. Here’s how to do that:

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel. On Windows 10, you can also type “Show hidden files and folder” in the search box. Then simply check Show hidden files, folders and drives and jump straight to step number 3.
    RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix common PC issues and speed up your system
    Go to Folder > select Show Hidden Files and Folders
    Locate the following folders:
    CNo file associations after Windows version upgrades :program FilesFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocument and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocuments and Settings%USER%Application DataFile Association Helper

4. Delete them and then restart your PC.

Step 4 — Empty Temp Folder

The final step is to clean the Temp folder where all the temporary files are stored. To empty the folder, go to Start and type the %temp% command.

This will open the Temp folders. You can now empty them. If the system displays an error message when deleting some files, leave them. The files might be in use by Windows services or some running software.

Step 5 — Use a dedicated tool to remove software leftovers

After you performed all the steps listed above, you have removed 99.9% of all the files and folders left behind by File Association Helper. However, there may be a few file that escaped your scrutiny. In order to make sure that you have removed all of them, you can also use a dedicated software uninstaller.

These applications are specially designed to remove the selected application along with all of its files and registry entries. As a result, the application will be completely removed from your PC.

There are many great uninstaller tools available on the market, but the best are IOBit Uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller so feel free to try any of these tools.

mandoist, Jun 30, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Jun 30, 2020
  4. froven Win User

File association

I have read scores of discussions regarding adding a program to a default program list and none have worked. Before I go to what many have suggested, is it true if a program is not listed in default list a third party program is needed?

I am using Office 2010 on Windows 7. There is no default listed for opening XML-I want the default to be excel.

I went to file associations and can set wordpad to open xml but if I go to browse and select excel, nothing is saved and nothing changes.

Thanks for any help.

froven, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

1. No file associations after Windows version upgrades - Similar Threads - file associations version

2. File Associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Associations: I cannot associate a .xcfg file with its application TurboCAD Platinum 2021.The app is listed on the Start Menu, and is listed in All Settings/Apps and Features.xcfg is listed in All Settings/Default/Apps/Choose default applications by file type, but when I select xcfg I am...
  3. Windows File Association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Association: I have accidentally associated all .jar file types with an app that I don't want to associate them with. I have gone into the default settings and reset all file associations to default, however, .jar files are still associated with this app. I am unable to associate this...
  4. File Associations

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Associations: My Windows 10 file associations are broken immediately following the latest automatic update to 10.0.19042 Build 19042 all of my Desktop files were deleted by the update. I was able to restore them with the File History tool. My Office 2016 file associations don't work and...
  5. File Association

File Association: I was organizing my files on my laptop and I accidentally liked on a package file and then when it said "How would you like to open this file?" I didn't really read and just clicked OK. Now all my package files icons have turned into the icon for internet explorer. I already...
  6. File Associations

File Associations: I have imported and saved personal photos of friends and family. I would like to use them as screensavers on a random, rotating basis. When I go to Settings and Personalization, I am asked to associate all the photos I would like to use with a file or program extension. I...
  7. Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803

in Windows 10 Customization
    Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803: Hi, I need to associate a file type of .opt with Notepad, but .opt doesn't show on the "Choose default apps by file type" screen. Is there a way to do this? Thanks....
  8. Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803

in Windows 10 Customization
    Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803: Hi, I need to associate a file type of .opt with Notepad, but .opt doesn't show on the "Choose default apps by file type" screen. Is there a way to do this? Thanks....
  9. QIF File Association no longer works after windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    QIF File Association no longer works after windows upgrade: After the recent Windows 10 update my QIF file association launches the incorrect version of Microsoft Money. Money is an old legacy programme that is still running JUST ...and I need to be able to customise the file association. If I click on properties on the qif...
  10. File Association

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Association: I use MS Office 2003 with Frontpage which works well in Win and does all I need. How can I associate .html files to open with Frontpage. In Control Panel - set default programs it dos not show Frontpage as an option. In Control Panel set File associations - it...