Windows 10: no file on computer will open or launch from Windows 10 file explorer

Discus and support no file on computer will open or launch from Windows 10 file explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i7 7700k, 32gb ram, intel m.2 sata , rx580, all bios, firmware and drivers fully updated. Windows 10 Pro 1803 fully updated All apps fully updated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pokester, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Pokester Win User

no file on computer will open or launch from Windows 10 file explorer

i7 7700k, 32gb ram, intel m.2 sata , rx580, all bios, firmware and drivers fully updated.

Windows 10 Pro 1803 fully updated

All apps fully updated

-------

I will start by saying that I have tried everything I can think of short of giving up and reinstalling the OS to fix the issue at hand. I am a 32 year IT professional and have never yet run into a problem I could not fix till now.

Windows file explorer has an issue with not opening any, and I mean any type of file. Document or executable, won't open. You can use the contextual menu even and choose open it will not work. I am completely malware clean. I have done all the normal permission resets, executable fixes from mallware, reset explorer to defaults. My last effort was to even let windows repair do all it's registry fixes. Nothing is fixing this issue.

So I simply click on any folder and it opens just fine. I double click any file and nothing happens and the folder closes. That is it. Can do this over and over on any folder on the computer. I can create new user accounts and it does the same thing. I can run from safe mode and it does the same thing.

Nothing other than explorer seems to be affected, the machine runs great. I can use a third party file manager like multi commander and launch and open any file no problem. But the built in file explorer won't work right. I have done no tweaks to change explorer ever, and have done the reset to defaults in explorer.

if have checked the disk and it is fine. I have run sfc and it is fine.

I have uninstalled all AV and security apps to see if this fixes things and no it does not.

:)

Pokester, Jun 2, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Cannot launch File Explorer from taskbar in Windows 10

Hi Juzzy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• First unpin the File Explorer from the task bar.
    • Press Windows + E.
    • And right click on File Explorer in the taskbar.
    • And Pin the File Explorer to Taskbar and Check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jun 11, 2018
  3. Parth P Patel Win User
    File Explorer not opening via pinned Taskbar icon on Windows 10

Hi Leon,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I apologies for delay in reply. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to unpin the File explorer from the task bar and re-pin the File Explorer and check If issue is resolved. If issue persist, I suggest you to follow the below given steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Please post back with the results, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jun 11, 2018
Thema:

no file on computer will open or launch from Windows 10 file explorer

1. no file on computer will open or launch from Windows 10 file explorer - Similar Threads - file computer open

2. Windows 10 File Explorer Keeps Opening

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 File Explorer Keeps Opening: I attached a portable USB Seagate drive to my computer. The drive seems to be operating normally, except the computer dings and the file Explorer opens about every five minutes. Does anyone know of what's going on? How can I fix this? It's driving... Ha... Get it... Driving...
  3. File Explorer in Windows 10 Not Opening Folders

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Explorer in Windows 10 Not Opening Folders: I have 2 Windows 10 pc's, Windows 1709 ( OS Build 16299.125,both up to date. One of them has just developed a problem with File Explorer being very slow opening folders after the first one has been opened. If I open Documents, on the first try, it opens immediately, but...
  4. File Explorer opens at Windows 10 startup

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer opens at Windows 10 startup: I recently installed the November update on my computer and now the File Explorer runs at every start up. How can I go disable this and go back to normal? 34511
  5. File Explorer Launching at Random

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Launching at Random: For the past few weeks, File Explorer in Windows 10 launches at random during the day. No keyboard action is involved...it just launches. Is there a way to defeat this behavior or is this just a bug within Windows 10. 36787
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer opens slow

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 File Explorer opens slow: This was few months ago, don't mind the text in the video, this was from another issue. 2017 02 03 15 44 16 1 - YouTube And this is now: 2017 04 23 10 00 04 - YouTube You definitely can see the difference, the os is installed on a 250gb Samsung SSD. Sometimes I don't...
  7. File Explore Slow Launch from Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explore Slow Launch from Taskbar: When I launch the file explorer from the icon pinned to the taskbar, it takes 3-4 seconds to launch. But when I launch it from the start menu, it's almost instantaneous. What could be the cause of this? 107627
  8. Opening multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening multiple files in file explorer: Windows 10. I no longer am able to open more than one jpg file in Photoshop Elements 14 (so maybe this is a PE problem as don't have a problem with Word or Excel files?) If I select more than one it will open every one except the first one selected (usually though seems a bit...
  9. File Explorer opens twice

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer opens twice: for the last few days, the explorer closes and reopen itself immediately. this happens both on my Home PC and Work PC. anybody experiencing this too? see screenshot: Explorer opening twice (when locating a file) (from reddit) 25002
  10. "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens

in Windows 10 Support
    "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens: Hello, I keep getting this error when Windows 10 boots to desktop, when I close it opens file explorer. Any ideas what's this mysterious "-a" file is? 97243