Windows 10: No GWX by choice, should I install it?

Discus and support No GWX by choice, should I install it? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On my Windows 8.1 laptop I have avoided all the GWX updates pushed over the last year. I have hidden the KBs as they were offered and reoffered. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bru, Jul 19, 2016.

1. BRU
    bru Win User

No GWX by choice, should I install it?

On my Windows 8.1 laptop I have avoided all the GWX updates pushed over the last year. I have hidden the KBs as they were offered and reoffered. I have no GWX icon or any other prompt to get Windows 10.

Now is the time for me to install Win 10 on this laptop. I think the major thing I am missing by not having GWX is the compatibility checker. While the laptop is only a few years old (originally Win 8 upgraded to 8.1) and I am confident it is able to run Win 10 I wonder if I should make sure? AFAICT I would have to have the GWX tool to run the compatibility checker. I have found ways to manually run the checker but I believe I still would need the GWX tool for it to work. Or should I just go ahead and upgrade without first getting the GWX? I am thinking this is probably not the best idea.

Hopefully I have made sense in what I am asking and am interested in hearing your thoughts.

:)

2. upgrade to win 10 from win 8.1 single language with bing

Specifically the problem is that GWX update is installed, but it claims that it installed incorrectly, i've got GWX files on my hard drive, but i can't find GWX icon on taskbar, it doesn't appear. Maybe i should reinstall my windows 8.1 and start from
    the beginning?

Илья Мирошниченко, Jul 19, 2016
  3. I can't get Windows 10 to download at all and can someone explain why the screen for the upgrade app is white?

My update failed 8 times until i removed the GWX app and installed through windows update. Take ownership of C:\windows\system32\gwx folder and delete it should work after that.

nickchoate, Jul 19, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

AFAIK, all Windows 8 produced machines are Win 10 compatible.
    Current Win 10 updates' driver array is quite impressive.
    My suggestion would be backup your current system, then do an upgrade or clean install from an ISO.
    I'm not too keen on anything related to GWX myself, TBH.

Superfly, Jul 19, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I agree with Superfly. That's what I would do.

NavyLCDR, Jul 19, 2016
  6. BRU
    bru Win User
    OK I will skip GWX. Thanks to you both for the advice.

I hate to start going in a different direction but in creating a system image I was thinking of using Macrium. One potential problem is that this laptop does not have a disk drive and from my cursory look at the program it creates a recovery CD that is used to restore the saved image. Or am I wrong? I will do some additional reading but maybe someone could let me know if I am right or wrong in my thinking that I wouldn't be able to use Macrium in my situation. Perhaps I should just use the built in Windows System Image tool with an external HDD. This laptop is bare bones and I have already backed up the few files I keep on it to a thumb drive so the system image will be pretty small.

7. Superfly Win User
    Once you insert a thumb drive you can create a Macrium Rescue USB.. or just create the ISO from the DVD option and create the bootable USB from that with Rufus.

DVD's are definitely not required.

Superfly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No GWX by choice, should I install it? - Similar Threads - GWX choice should

2. should i install this driver?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    should i install this driver?: hello i have a question, there is a new update of graphics driver from intel driver support assistant, but they said before installing check manufacturers and then install it, i asked thempc is samsung galaxy book 3 pro 360 and samsung said ask microsoft about the update if...
  3. should be initialized to GPT... or MBR? Or do I have the choice to myself?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    should be initialized to GPT... or MBR? Or do I have the choice to myself?: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations -- HP Z640 - Intel XEON 4-core v4Installing Windows 10 Pro for Workstations - PC to [Disk 2] become dual-boot - can be done in an uninitialized NVMe Drive, to be initialized during & by installation...?In this case, should be initialized to...
  4. should be initialized to GPT... or MBR? Or do I have the choice to myself?

should be initialized to GPT... or MBR? Or do I have the choice to myself?: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations -- HP Z640 - Intel XEON 4-core v4Installing Windows 10 Pro for Workstations - PC to [Disk 2] become dual-boot - can be done in an uninitialized NVMe Drive, to be initialized during & by installation...?In this case, should be initialized to...
  5. What should i install ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What should i install ?: I have both cds which should i install as Default?MacOS 13.2 or Windows 11 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-should-i-install/7c70d120-315a-44d1-a35b-2e8790d66343
  6. Should I install these?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I install these?: [ATTACH] I don't know if I should install this updates. https://preview.redd.it/4wd9auvncor51.png?width=2560&format=png&auto=webp&s=1ef668854b9544ce40e57fc7aa54f37fb2c4c9b0 submitted by /u/eldievos [link] [comments]...
  7. What should I install?

What should I install?: I've just clean installed Windows 10 but I don't know what apps and programs I should install. Any suggestions? NOTE: There is absolutely nothing on my PC I would also like some suggestions as to how to get the most out of my PC. 33304
  8. Using SFC and GWX/GWX Control Panel on Win7 PC Heads Up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Using SFC and GWX/GWX Control Panel on Win7 PC Heads Up: I have a Dell XPS 8700 that I previously upgraded to Win10 and then rolled back to Win7 for game compatibility. After the restoration of Win7, I disabled GWX. Yesterday I ran GWX Control Panel to insure that I had killed any Win10 pending upgrade. Out of curiosity I ran SFC...
  9. No GWX notification icon in taskbar

No GWX notification icon in taskbar: Sir, I cannot see the GWX notification icon. I have a genuine copy of windows 7 running in my laptop and installed all the latest updates including KB3035583. It's been more than a week, still there is no sign of GWX icon. Please guide me as to what should I do? 6884
  10. Where GWX Files Are Stored

Where GWX Files Are Stored: For anyone interested where all the GWX files(with types) & folders are, I've made a screenshot after using UltraSearch on my Windows 8.1 PC. To see it better just click the image a second time to make it even larger. For even more info just use process explorer. Attachment...