Windows 10: no home network connection between wifi laptop and cable desktop

Discus and support no home network connection between wifi laptop and cable desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a HP desktop that has a private network set up, and it's connected to the router via cable. I also have a Dell laptop with a private network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CharlesMunson1, Mar 9, 2020.

1. no home network connection between wifi laptop and cable desktop

I have a HP desktop that has a private network set up, and it's connected to the router via cable. I also have a Dell laptop with a private network set up, and it's connected to the router via Wifi. Both are running Windows 10. However neither can "see" the other's network; hence I cannot share files between them. How do I resolve the issue so that one can see and connect to the other's network so that I can share files?

:)

CharlesMunson1, Mar 9, 2020
  2. coffent Win User

How to connect to an existing wifi network?

As you suggested, I tried disabling the ethernet adapter and that caused wi-fi to connect, so the desktop wifi does work. Also, I accessed the router and changed the wireless network name (to wfCHS). Thanks!

However many problems are still unresolved:

My laptop behaves just as I want it to. Assuming the router has wifi turned on and the laptop has an ethernet connection, connection to the internet is by ethernet (no private network name), and the wi-fi connection is to my private network "wfCHS", but with no connection to the internet. (If I disconnect the ethernet cable, then wfCHS becomes connected to the internet and stays that way even if I reconnect the cable.) A directory listing shows both laptop and desktop under "Network". Great!

Things are rather different with the desktop. With Ethernet disabled, the desktop shows a wi-fi connection to the internet. Under Settings > Status it's called "wfCHS" but under Network Connections it's called wfCHS2. If I then re-enable the ethernet connection, the wifi connection stays enabled for a minute or two, then disconnects. Further, the ethernet connection is given the name wfCHS2 under both Status and Network Connections.

Why does the desktop give an (unwanted) name to the ethernet connection while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop disconnect its wi-fi connection a minute or so after the ethernet connection is enabled, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop give two different names to the wifi connection, depending on whether it's viewed under Status or Network Connections, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the laptop show the desktop under Network, while the desktop shows only itself?

Things are so convoluted that I'd be happy to start over. I've had the desktop "forget" the wi-fi connection as you suggested, then re-established it, but this hasn't helped. Can the ethernet connection also be "forgotten"?

Really appreciate the help you've given so far!

coffent, Mar 9, 2020
  3. Sharing wifi connection between a laptop and desktop

I have wifi on my laptop but no way to connect to wifi on my computer [desktop PC?].

-> Your description sounds a little confusing. Would it be correct to say this?

• Your router/access point runs a wireless network. Let's call it MyWLAN.
    • Your laptop connects wirelessly to MyWLAN.
    • You have a desktop PC. It lacks a wireless adapter.
    • You do not wish to use a CAT5 cable connect the desktop PC to your router.
    • Instead you wish to use a CAT5 cable to connect the desktop PC to your laptop, using it as a bridge to access the router.
    If this is correct then the answer is yes, it can be done. However, a more elegant way would consist of purchasing a $20 USB wireless network adapter for your desktop. It would let you connect to MyWLAN directly and without depending on the laptop.

Frederik Long, Mar 9, 2020
  4. no home network connection between wifi laptop and cable desktop

laptop can't find wifi but connects with ethernet cable

Please try these troubleshooting steps that may help.

1. Make sure the router SSID broadcast is on.
    2. Change the wifi channel to see if it resolves the problem.
    3. Enter the SSID and WPA2 password manually and see if the laptop connects.
    4. Temporarily turn off the encryption.
    5. We go into device manager & check updates for wifi drivers, we may need to simply update the driver.
    6. We go to Settings - Network & Internet - Status - Change Adapter Options, then right-clicked 'Ethernet' and disabled it. We do the same with wifi. Then we (with Ethernet still disabled) enabled wifi. It should re-connect to your wifi after a while.
    7. We have to disconnect our Ethernet cable from our laptop and follow the steps:
      Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Manage Wireless Networks and remove all wireless connections by right click on it and select Remove network from the drop down menu. After doing this, close the windows and scan for the wifi networks.
      Click on the available network and select connect. After a while, we will be asked to give a password for our wifi connection. Type the password and click on connect button. And now will be connected to our wifi network via wireless.
    8. First is to disconnect the internet cable from the laptop then uninstall/reinstall the wifi adapter.
      Go to Device Manager and uninstall the wifi adapter.
      Once uninstalled, reboot the laptop and it should reinstall the driver automatically.
      After the reboot do try connecting to your wireless network again.
      If all these will not work, do also make sure that the wireless adapter is enabled. Depending the model of your laptop there should be key combinations on how to enable/disable it.

Daisy Zhou, Mar 9, 2020
Thema:

no home network connection between wifi laptop and cable desktop

1. no home network connection between wifi laptop and cable desktop - Similar Threads - home network connection

2. Wifi together with cable connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi together with cable connection: Hello,when is connected internet cable to pc, then wifi is disconnected.How can be possible to have both working networks cable+wifi paralelly that means not disconnect wifi, when cable is connected?...
  3. Wifi together with cable connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi together with cable connection: Hello,when is connected internet cable to pc, then wifi is disconnected.How can be possible to have both working networks cable+wifi paralelly that means not disconnect wifi, when cable is connected?...
  4. Wifi together with cable connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. At Home connection of a LapTop and a Desktop

At Home connection of a LapTop and a Desktop: I have a Desktop PC and a laptop .... I wish to make all files on each unit accessible by each other ... how can I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/at-home-connection-of-a-laptop-and-a-desktop/eeff796e-5b40-4988-b2b9-c7b2f1c13ab5
  6. Troubleshooting Home network connections in Win 10 between 2 laptops connected to same WiFi

Troubleshooting Home network connections in Win 10 between 2 laptops connected to same WiFi: I have had 'some' help from Microsoft remote logon and 'some' success but it was short lived, so to be realistic networking at home has not worked on Win 10 for me. Laptop 1 - Win 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1909, build 18363.592 with AVG Internet Security Laptop 2 - Win 10...
  7. Sharing files between wifi and ethernet networks on same cable modem.

Sharing files between wifi and ethernet networks on same cable modem.: Greetings, I just set up file sharing between a couple of my computers that are connected by ethernet to my modem, but am unable to set up sharing between those on ethernet and those that are on wifi. All of my devises are on the same cable modem and I have no...
  8. Home Network Desktop and Laptop no longer able to connect.

Home Network Desktop and Laptop no longer able to connect.: Home Network Desktop and Laptop no longer able to connect. My desktop is a Dell Inspiron x64 running Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 on local LAN connected via Broadband Internet Access. The computer has been formatted into two drives. My laptop is also a Dell...
  9. Networking issue between 2 desktop & laptop

Networking issue between 2 desktop & laptop: So without being too hyperbolic, I'm about to die! I've spent too many hours with 0 progress and am beginning to resent pcs in general. I have 3 pcs (2 desktops and a laptop) all wired via gigabit. In short - my desktop (a) can see itself and my laptop under network,...
  10. Network sharing problem between desktops and laptop

Network sharing problem between desktops and laptop: Hi Guys, This issues has been driving me nuts since the 1703 Creators Update. I've searched the web and tried pretty much everything to fix it with no luck. So I let it slide until now. I've finally decided to raise the issue here to see if the greatest minds in the...