Windows 10: No icons and properties not working

Discus and support No icons and properties not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a problem where no icons show anywhere throughout the system, I get no thumbnails from pictures, videos etc. Icons only appear on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MrPeaski, Nov 15, 2019.

1. MrPeaski Win User

No icons and properties not working

Hi all, I have a problem where no icons show anywhere throughout the system, I get no thumbnails from pictures, videos etc.

Icons only appear on my Stardock Object Dock on the bottom of the screen and in the Taskbar Notification area
    I get flashes of what look like black and white shortcut arrows appear next to entries in the navigation pane when I hover over one edge of the vertical scroll bar.

I have also lost the ability to get file/folder properties. Neither right clicking and selecting 'properties' nor left clicking to select and then clicking 'properties' on the toolbar ribbon produce anything. The only places where it works are 'This Computer' and 'Recycle Bin' on the desktop.

Things I've tried without success:
    SFC /scannow results with no errors found
    Restarting as a clean boot (as described here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...oot-in-windows)
    Used ShellExView to disable third party shell extensions

This is the second time that this has happened, the first was on a Windows 10 migration from Windows 7.
    This time its on a completely clean (reformatted) Windows 10 install, that is about 2 weeks old.
    The system was fine when I shut down yesterday and the only thing I've done with it today was to connect my 3D printer to Pronterface to make some changes to it.
    I closed Pronterface and shut down.

I really don't want to go down the route of a clean install again as it takes a couple of days to complete.
    When it happened previously using a 4 day old system restore failed to fix it.

Windows 10 Pro 1903 Build 18362.476

Can anyone help?

:)

MrPeaski, Nov 15, 2019
  2. psbecker Win User

Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, Nov 15, 2019
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Nov 15, 2019
  4. No icons and properties not working

Notification area (system tray) icons missing, Reset did not work

Hi Kevin,

With regard to your query about the system tray, we suggest that you follow the steps below and see if it helps.

• Right-click on an empty space in your desktop taskbar and select Properties.
    • In the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window, find the selection labeled
      Notification Area and click on Customize.
    • Click on Turn system icons on or off.
    • If you'd like to always show all icons, turn the slider window to On.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Nov 15, 2019
Thema:

No icons and properties not working

1. No icons and properties not working - Similar Threads - icons properties working

2. No icons available in a shortcut's properties window

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No icons available in a shortcut's properties window: Trying to change the icon of a shortcut I made. There are no icons available when I go to the Properties menu other than the blank paper one it already has. I remember there were hundreds last time I needed to do this, how do I actually change the icon? submitted by...
  3. Libraries Properties Change Icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Libraries Properties Change Icon: How can I have the 'Change Library Icon' in this dialogue to be 'active'? : . 169477
  4. Wifi Properties not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi Properties not working: Hi, my computer is constantly erasing the wifi configurations all the passwords are forgotten, this happens whenever my computer goes to sleep or I reboot it. When I try to go to Settings > Network & Internet > WiFi and I click in the network I am using, the Settings window...
  5. Properties not working as intended.

Properties not working as intended.: Hello, I have been trying to set an application to always run as administrator. I already have gone to the file location and opened up properties however, the shortcuts bar cannot be found. I can also not run the application without administrator either. Please help me....
  6. Icons and thumbnails blank + right click -> Properties doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons and thumbnails blank + right click -> Properties doesn't work: Today I installed the latest updates: [img] and it seems that those updates messed up Windows Explorer. After I restarted my PC, all icons and thumbnails in Windows Explorer disappeared i.e. I've got blank icons within Windows Explorer and those "app icons" in the...
  7. File Properties is missing "Icon change"

File Properties is missing "Icon change": I can not change file to icon as the option to do this is no longer there. The only options that are there is General and Previous Versions in the Header bar. Can you please give me a way so as to restore the properties folder so as to show normal page changing options. Such...
  8. File properties not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File properties not working: OK, so I open up "file properties" and I want to change the program that opens a particular file type when I double click it. Windows 10 won't let me do this. None of the buttons work - the "Change" or the "advanced". I can change tabs, but I cannot change the default...
  9. Folder properties and icon's picture problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder properties and icon's picture problem: Hi, Two days ago I woke up to this problem, my icon pictures are gone and I can't access properties when I right click anything. So, night before everything was fine, PC went to sleep mode, next morning i get up wake PC from sleep mode and the problem i mentioned was...
  10. Thumbnails, desktop icons, taskbar icons gone, Properties doesnt work

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails, desktop icons, taskbar icons gone, Properties doesnt work: All of a sudden the following symptoms (all at the same time):: 1. Taskbar icons gone (replaced by a neutral identical icon) except Edge and Store 2. In File Explorer, no longer thumbnails, no icons either, simply blank, but names show 3. All desktop icons gone; but their...