Windows 10: No icons in any new Win10 user account

Discus and support No icons in any new Win10 user account in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I added another account to Windows 10 today (Version 1607 Build 14393.321) and there are NO icons on the desktop or in any folders. Task bar and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Speedy IV, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Speedy IV Win User

No icons in any new Win10 user account

I added another account to Windows 10 today (Version 1607 Build 14393.321) and there are NO icons on the desktop or in any folders. Task bar and notification area icons are fine. Right-click context selection icons are fine.

This started when previously, I had an account for my son and one day he came to me and said all his icons were gone. All that appears is the name of the file or folder - no icons at all. This is true for desktop icons and folder icons. I Googled the problem then and came up with corrupt icon cache. Tried to fix it by rebuilding the icon cache by running the following commands from an elevated command prompt:

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    attrib –h IconCache.db
    del IconCache.db
    start explorer

This did not work. I tried a few other things (which I don't recall now) and finally gave up and deleted his account. I use the Administrator account (I know some frown on that) and everything is fine in that account. Today I added a new account and this new account has the same problem. I also have an account for me (also Admin level) that is all tied into my Microsoft account. I never use it but today I logged into that account to check and sure enough - no icons. So the only account that has normal working icons is the Administrator account. I am at a total loss as to what is causing this. Here are screen shots of a portion of the desktop and a typical folder (Root of C:\). Any help is most appreciated.

No icons in any new Win10 user account [​IMG]

Edited to add - I just tried the following to no avail:

Rebuild Icon Cache by typing the following into an elevated command prompt:

*Arrowie4uinit.exe -show

*Arrow taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F

*Arrow DEL /A /Q "%localappdata%\IconCache.db"

*Arrow DEL /A /F /Q "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*"

*Arrow shutdown /r /f /t 00

Also ran an Icon Cache rebuild BAT file that I found on this forum. I am also noticed that if I right click on a file, folder, or desktop shortcut (ex Google Slides) and select Properties, Change Icon, I see the proper icon and in the "Look for icons in this file" box I see the path "%SystemRoot%\Installer\{459CE109-4E46-4340-92BC-054642BC3BC2}\GoogleSlidesIcon". If I select the icon (for Google Slides) and click Apply, I get a pop up error box that says "Unable to save changes to "Google Eath.lnk Access is Denied". This account is an Administrator account. I am stymied. Here is another screen shot.

Thanks !

:)

Speedy IV, Oct 15, 2016
  2. DougGVT Win User

Start Button and Cortina don't work

I have a new ACER Desktop with Windows 10 pre-installed. I've setup 3 users in Microsoft Family and everything works fine. I setup a 4th user and in that profile, the Windows start button doesn't work, Cortina isn't there, and no icons on the task bar.
    If I click an icon on the desktop (such as Adobe) it opens and runs fine...

So, to be clear, Win10 works fine on 3 of the 4 user accounts but the 4th account doesn't work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DougGVT, Oct 15, 2016
  3. Ionicus Win User
    Quick Access Shortcut Appears on the Desktop -- Cannot Delete

Thank you, jinwk00.

Yes, possibly some app is generating the unwanted Quick Access icon, but consider this: As a workaround, I created another user account on my same Win10 machine, and I have duplicated EVERYTHING on that new, secondary user account -- all the same apps,
    same programs, same settings, same everything -- so that it is identical to the original user account -- the account in which the unwanted icon does pop up (and cannot be eradicated) -- but when I log into that new, second user account, the annoying, re-appearing,
    immovable Q.A. icon does NOT show up.

Presumably, this circumstance seems to indicate that it is
    not an app causing the problem.

In any case, it is remotely comforting to know that someone with more knowledge than I have is still pusuing a solution to this intractable problem.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Ionicus, Oct 15, 2016
  4. Speedy IV Win User

Updated to add - Ran SFC Scan today. No luck.

Anybody?

Speedy IV, Oct 16, 2016
  5. Speedy IV Win User
    Update to anyone who wanders into this thread with a similar problem. With the help of another forum member, I was able to solve this problem. I still don't know why it started but it is now FIXED. Please go to the following thread and read down to find the solution, which basically consists of setting up the proper permissions for the user to access the IconCache.db file located in Appdata\Local. Here is the link:

ALL icons missing...from entire system...!

And here is the procedure, compliments of user pepanee. Repalce "Laurie" with the user name of the affected account.

Go to: C:\Users\Laurie\AppData
    Right click Local -> Properties
    Press the Security tab
    Press the Advanced button
    Press the Add button
    Click on the blue Select a principal
    Type: Laurie
    Press OK
    Next to Applies to, sleect: This folder only
    Check Full control
    Press OK, press continue if that ever shows up, press OK, OK to close it all.
    Restart the computer.

Good Luck !!

Speedy IV, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No icons in any new Win10 user account - Similar Threads - icons Win10 user

2. New User Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New User Account: I am trying to make another user account for my computer. I have a account set up for me but i need a new one for my brother. when i try making a account this is what i get I tyr making a local account and when i try to sign in to it i cant....
  3. New User Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New User Account: I am trying to make another user account for my computer. I have a account set up for me but i need a new one for my brother. when i try making a account this is what i get I tyr making a local account and when i try to sign in to it i cant....
  4. Win10 user account needs changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 user account needs changing: Hi i have a w10 laptop with office 365 installed The laptop was set up with my own microsoft account and email How do i change it so its only got my wifes microsoft account, email and user name instead of mine I dont want to lose the installed office 365 software. I...
  5. New user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New user account: Hello, Is there possible when I create a new account user not to have any programs installed on control panel? I have apps so a new user shouldn't have any apps. If there is possible, how do I do that? Thank you. Peterboy_EN...
  6. new user account issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    new user account issues: hi there: I created a new user account because my old one was corrupted. Two issues. 1 I switched from local account to my MS account. Issue is, the background color, like having folders in the dark mode, etc. did not sync or carry over. What is happening there? 2 Why...
  7. new user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    new user account: how do I add other people to a home pc and use a pin number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/new-user-account/254b067d-9b37-4ae2-b4ce-15cf2f1a5e63"
  8. New install of Win10 - cannot Add New User

New install of Win10 - cannot Add New User: I had to give up on Upgrade and instead do a fresh installation. But I am STILL having problems. Cannot add a new user. When I click "Add another person to this PC" absolututely nothing happens. I assume this is not the intended behaviour. Seems to have happened a bit...
  9. User account log on icons

User account log on icons: Currently in Win10 the user accounts sit near the Windows button in the bottom left position. Is there any as in Win7 display to have these icons residing in the centre of the screen rather than down in the bottom left corner of the screen. 37874
  10. win10 New Notifications icon not working any ideas ?

in Windows 10 Support
    win10 New Notifications icon not working any ideas ?: Hello folks..when i click on certain icons in this win10 they dont work.. for example my New notifications icon next to my clock. i click it and cursor spins but nothing and it says, i have new notifications.. also i went to shut down my pc and click shutdown like 6 times it...