Windows 10: No Idle screensaver, display power off, Sleep with USB Joystick/game controller attached

Discus and support No Idle screensaver, display power off, Sleep with USB Joystick/game controller attached in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Symptoms: When you have some USB Joysticks/Game Controller attached a screensaver, display power off or sleep mode will not occur at the appropriately... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by G Lomax, Jul 28, 2020.

1. G Lomax Win User

No Idle screensaver, display power off, Sleep with USB Joystick/game controller attached

Symptoms:

When you have some USB Joysticks/Game Controller attached a screensaver, display power off or sleep mode will not occur at the appropriately set time out intervals.

Cause:

Noise from the controller is seen as human activity so an idle event is not triggered.

Solutions:

Other than replacing the controller with one that has better filtering for noise or more precise sensors disable wake-up for the device.

Open device manager under HID-compliant game controller Properties uncheck "allow this device to wake the computer" in the Power Management tab and click OK.

If this doesn't work open a command window as Administrator and type:

powercfg /devicequery wake_programmable

You should see something listed like:

"HID-compliant game controller 001"

Then type:

powercfg /devicedisablewake "HID-compliant game controller 001"

To re-enable type:
    powercfg /deviceenablewake "HID-compliant game controller 001"

Discussion:

The powercfg command seems to set the same registry entries as the Device Manager Properties but for some reason changing this in Device Manager sometimes does not take hold.

The problem is probably more prevalent with budget controllers as costs are keep down by skimping on the noise filtering. Whether Microsoft should add settings to adjust the sensitivity of the controller is debatable. Most likely it would cause more trouble than it fixes.

:)

G Lomax, Jul 28, 2020
  2. Neil_V Win User

Screensaver and Sleep Mode not Working with Game Controllers Connected

Method 1

I don't have an option to "Improve power usage". I clicked power and the power trouble shooter started, it indicated that I had screen saver enabled and it thought it was a problem, I am a bit
    confused by this. I also ran the trouble shooter with the game controllers connected - same result.

Method 2

"powercfg –restoredefaultschemes" is not a valid command so I couldn't complete this step. I used powercfg /list, I have Balanced, High Performance and Power Saver, it is set to Balanced.

Method 3

Made a new power plan. As before power plan works when joysticks are disconnected
    does not work when joysticks are connected.

Method 4

I'll work on this but but am mystified as to how video drivers are effecting how my joysticks prevent my computer from going to sleep. When my joysticks are disconnected the same video drivers allow my computer to go to sleep.

You wrote this "This issue might also occur due to outdated display driver
    or some other devices are responsible to keep it awake." Just a thought maybe the other devices are the joysticks and this is where I need help.

Edit:

Just installed the latest nvidia video drivers (355.60) - no change system will go to sleep when joysticks are disconnected
    will not sleep with joysticks connected.

Neil_V, Jul 28, 2020
  3. FlyWobin Win User
    Windows 10 - USB Joystick prevents display from powering off

When I have either of my USB joysticks connected to my system, the computer will not switch off the displays after a defined period of inactivity (it is ignoring the settings in Settings / System / Power & Sleep/ Screen). If I remove both of my joysticks,
    then the behaviors are as expected (the screen will; switch off).

This was not an issue with the same hardware in Windows 8 / 8.1 - issue only arose after the Win 10 upgrade

Any workarounds to this? Is it a defect?

Joysticks are a CH Products Fightersick USB and CH Products USB Rudder Pedals.

Thanks for any insights,

FlyWobin, Jul 28, 2020
  4. No Idle screensaver, display power off, Sleep with USB Joystick/game controller attached

No screensaver with joystick plugged in workround?

I quickly found out the reason why the screensaver never activates on my factory new W10 PC is because I've got a (very old and basic) joystick plugged into it via a USB port.

I was astonished to discover people have been complaining about this for years with apparently no solution I could find.

The way the USB ports on my PC are configured, it's a real pain to have to unplug the joystick each time. And I like looking at my screensaver photos when the PC has been idle for a few minutes. So:-

1. Is there now a solution or relatively straight forward workround I missed?

2. In Settings>Devices, if you highlight the joystick, there's a box saying "Remove Device". If I click that, does it in effect toggle the joystick on and off such that, if it's off, it will re-enable the screeensaver? And more importantly, such that I
    could toggle it back on when required and avoid all the hassle of having to physically plug in and unplug the joystick all the time?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Neil

neilking84, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

No Idle screensaver, display power off, Sleep with USB Joystick/game controller attached

1. No Idle screensaver, display power off, Sleep with USB Joystick/game controller attached - Similar Threads - Idle screensaver display

2. Sleep and power on/off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep and power on/off: If I wish to take one of the power options on my laptop after a certain length of time, it will not respond except for restart and I have to manually use the power button to complete whichever option I have taken. However, if I take the restart option it will let me complete...
  3. screensaver all setting is off but still goes into screensaver after idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    screensaver all setting is off but still goes into screensaver after idle: have tried online solutions and also contacted customer service but still cant solve this problem.the setting all changed to never. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screensaver-all-setting-is-off-but-still-goes-into/d744e647-f77c-4c92-948e-ecb61b2ad811
  4. screensaver all setting is off but still goes into screensaver after idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screensaver all setting is off but still goes into screensaver after idle: have tried online solutions and also contacted customer service but still cant solve this problem.the setting all changed to never. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screensaver-all-setting-is-off-but-still-goes-into/d744e647-f77c-4c92-948e-ecb61b2ad811
  5. screensaver all setting is off but still goes into screensaver after idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 10 2004 - USB Joystick prevents display from powering off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 2004 - USB Joystick prevents display from powering off: The problem described in THIS SITUATION has come back following Win10 ver 2004. To remind all, here is the text. Please note that this happens with various hardware, not just this joystick. When I have either of my USB joysticks connected to my system, the computer will...
  7. Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle Controller and Joystick Controller Prevents Screensaver/Standby

Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle Controller and Joystick Controller Prevents Screensaver/Standby: I use a Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle Controller & Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS joystick to play DCS World flight sim. As long as I have the Thrustmaster TWCS game Controllers connected to a USB port either USB2.0 or USB3.2gen1 my screensaver will not initialise and my monitors...
  8. No screensaver with joystick plugged in workround?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No screensaver with joystick plugged in workround?: I quickly found out the reason why the screensaver never activates on my factory new W10 PC is because I've got a very old and basic joystick plugged into it via a USB port. I was astonished to discover people have been complaining about this for years with apparently no...
  9. Screensaver and Sleep Mode not Working with Game Controllers Connected - SOLVED!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screensaver and Sleep Mode not Working with Game Controllers Connected - SOLVED!: Hello dear community, I had a problem which I could now solve and I wanted to tell you how I could solve it. Unfortunately the original threadt was already closed:...
  10. USB Xbox Controller / Joystick preventing monitor screen display from turning off

USB Xbox Controller / Joystick preventing monitor screen display from turning off: Certain USB gamepads / joysticks / steering wheels prevent the screensaver running and/or the monitor from switching off after the time set in power and sleep settings. The screensaver will kick in but immediately exit or the monitor will go blank as if to start the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 joystick prevents sleep

2. logitech usb joystick keeps computer awake