Windows 10: No Internet after Win 10 update

Discus and support No Internet after Win 10 update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Person has a Dell Inspiron that came preinstalled with Windows 7 Home 64bit. About a year ago he updated it to Windows 10 & all was well.Then about a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FrankS, Mar 13, 2017.

1. FrankS Win User

No Internet after Win 10 update

Person has a Dell Inspiron that came preinstalled with Windows 7 Home 64bit. About a year ago he updated it to Windows 10 & all was well.Then about a month ago it would not connect to the Internet & stated it needed a network adaptor driver. I tried in Device Manager to search for a new driver but one was not found.I went to Dell Support site on another PC but they only had Windows 7 drivers – no Windows 10. I downloaded one anyway & tried it but when run it stated it was not compatible with the OS.I contacted Dell who stated that the PC was not compatible with Windows 10 (even though it used to run it no problem, as stated).I’m guessing that one of the windows updates was the culprit.Can you suggest the best way to proceed?

:)

FrankS, Mar 13, 2017

2. Wi-Fi is on // No connection (after Windows Update)

On Oct 13 windows updated.

The update must've invited malware into my computer. I tried to run my antivirus after the update but it said there's no connection. Google chrome lost connection as well and then I got a pop-up saying that Windows Defender found and blocked a "Severe Trojan
    threat". So I deleted it and I still don't have connection... (weirdly) the only thing that works is the Explorer app. I have internet; the Wi-Fi works just fine but, everything else doesn't connect. It's something internal that must be causing
    the problem and it all started after the update.

P.S.

It also changed my network from private to public so I had to fix that.

And YES, I did allow these programs through the Firewall so that's not the problem.

No Internet, Mar 13, 2017
  3. Wi-Fi is on // No connection (after Windows Update)

still isn't working.

No Internet, Mar 13, 2017
  4. FrankS Win User

Just had a thought. Wouldn't the all round quickest, cheapest option be to fit a USB WI-FI adaptor?

FrankS, Mar 13, 2017
  5. Wullail Win User
    Same as FrankS , buy a cheap Win 10 compatible WiFi dongle.

You could spend a long time trying to sort out drivers etc and still end up without a working WiFi connection , the dongle would solve it quickly.

Wullail, Mar 13, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    Was this an upgrade install from W7 to W10 or a clean install ?

I'd be pretty confident in saying that the Dell should work with W10 and I suspect a clean install would pick the required drivers up. There are always ways and means though even if not.

Have you researched the Dells model number and seen if that sheds any light. You should be able to identify what wireless card/chip set is used and go from there.

Mooly, Mar 13, 2017
  7. Top two solutions are given below

1. Update Wi-Fi Adapter Drivers on Windows 10

2. Command to Fix No Wi-Fi after Windows 10 Update

robertosburn, Mar 13, 2017
  8. FrankS Win User

This was an upgrade from Windows Home 64 bit.
    I found no joy on their website so I phoned them. They said it was not compatible with Windows 10 even though I argued that it had run Win 10 earlier

FrankS, Mar 13, 2017
  9. FrankS Win User
    I didn't state it in the question but this is a Desktop PC. I didn't realise that Inspiron could also be a laptop.
    All things considered I think a WI-FI dongle is the best bet otherwise this could turn into a long drawn out affair.

Thanks anyway

FrankS, Mar 13, 2017
  10. Mooly Win User
    Thanks, I just wondered on that. This is one of those problems you need to be sat in front of and to have a play around.

Is there an option to roll back the driver in device manager ?
    If windows has updated the driver then there may well be.

You could also try uninstalling the driver completely and seeing if Windows picks anything up when you scan for new hardware in device manager.

You could also try a wired LAN connection to see if a new driver can be found that way. There are lots of options, but its case of being determined and having a play.

Mooly, Mar 13, 2017
  11. FrankS Win User
    Yes, I tried that & now after restarting, there's no network adaptor.
    It'd be easier if I had the machine here to play around. Trouble is that all this could take hours - it'd cost him far too much for my time.
    That's another reason why I'm looking for a quick solution: USB WI-FI adaptor.
    Now, when looking for one I find that many of them are said to have problems in Windows 10!
    If anyone knows of a surefire dongle that works I'd be interested.

FrankS, Mar 14, 2017
  12. MrWhoopee Win User
    MrWhoopee, Mar 14, 2017
  13. FrankS Win User

FrankS, Mar 14, 2017
  14. FrankS Win User
    So, I tried a TCP/IP stack reset but it didn't solve the problem.
    I read that some of the USB WIFI adaptors have had issues with Windows 10 so I contacted TP-LINK support who do several varieties. Received a fairly quick reply recommend a few of their models & I purchased a TP-LINK Archer T4U AC1200.
    I tried it on my Win 10 PC first & it worked first time - no messing. Speed was the same as an ethernet link. Installed it on the other guys PC & once again - no problem.
    I just dread the next Windows update.

FrankS, Mar 15, 2017
  15. Mooly Win User
    Pleased to hear you found a workaround *Smile

Mooly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No Internet after Win 10 update - Similar Threads - Internet update

2. Internet stopped working after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet stopped working after update: Hi thereI own a HP Envy x360 running the following:Windows 11 Home22H2OS build 22621.3296This morning I was using my laptop and browsing the internet perfectly fine. I received a notification to install some updates by restating my laptop. After restarting it, my internet...
  3. Internet stopped working after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet stopped working after update: Hi thereI own a HP Envy x360 running the following:Windows 11 Home22H2OS build 22621.3296This morning I was using my laptop and browsing the internet perfectly fine. I received a notification to install some updates by restating my laptop. After restarting it, my internet...
  4. Internet just randomyly just stopped working after doing an update

Internet just randomyly just stopped working after doing an update: It was just an update since my computer notified me and it was like three updates and before this, my internet was working. So i did the update and after the restart, my computer just stopped working and I was wondering if it was paused so I went to the registry key and...
  5. Internet just randomyly just stopped working after doing an update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet just randomyly just stopped working after doing an update: It was just an update since my computer notified me and it was like three updates and before this, my internet was working. So i did the update and after the restart, my computer just stopped working and I was wondering if it was paused so I went to the registry key and...
  6. Unable to connect to the Internet after the latest KB5035853 Windows Security Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to the Internet after the latest KB5035853 Windows Security Update: Hello! I have been facing the same issue with my PC. I had restarted it following to which it installed the 2024-03, cumulative update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based systems KB5035853. But since then, my network connectivity has been lost. The internet connects and...
  7. Unable to connect to the Internet after the latest KB5035853 Windows Security Update

Unable to connect to the Internet after the latest KB5035853 Windows Security Update: Hello! I have been facing the same issue with my PC. I had restarted it following to which it installed the 2024-03, cumulative update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based systems KB5035853. But since then, my network connectivity has been lost. The internet connects and...
  8. Internet stopped working in HP laptop post windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet stopped working in HP laptop post windows update: My internet is stopped working post windows update.. there is no wifi option to enable as well as airplane mode is completely disabled https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-stopped-working-in-hp-laptop-post-windows/a574086f-e24d-4783-833a-e89101882a9b
  9. Internet stopped working in HP laptop post windows update

Internet stopped working in HP laptop post windows update: My internet is stopped working post windows update.. there is no wifi option to enable as well as airplane mode is completely disabled https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-stopped-working-in-hp-laptop-post-windows/a574086f-e24d-4783-833a-e89101882a9b
  10. Update not allowing me to connect to internet

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update not allowing me to connect to internet: After an update that I had tried to postpone a definitely, my computer does not recognize wi-fi. It continually insists that I need to plug in an Ethernet cable, so it does not recognize that ethernet cable being plugged in. I have attempted all of the troubleshooting options...