Windows 10: No internet connection in Hyper V with external switch after restart

Discus and support No internet connection in Hyper V with external switch after restart in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My external virtual switch for a Hyper V virtual machine stops working after every restart of the physical computer. But whenever I set it up, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cobra David, Apr 6, 2020.

1. No internet connection in Hyper V with external switch after restart

My external virtual switch for a Hyper V virtual machine stops working after every restart of the physical computer. But whenever I set it up, it works. I'vealready run chkdsk, sfc/scannow and the dism commands. And in thecontrol panel I activated the release for the VLan from the current wifi of the physical computer.
    Thanks for your help

:)

Cobra David, Apr 6, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

No internet when Hyper-V running, need help configuring external switc

OK, after cleanup it looks quite good except that you have no external switches created.

Extract from a tutorial at our sister site Eight Forums:

(From Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager)

You have managed to create an internal switch, now it's time to create an external one.

See Part Three: Create a virtual switch in this tutorial Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. Notice that as you mentioned you only have WLAN connection on your PC, you need to select the WLAN NIC in Step 3.4 in the tutorial.

Do not change any default settings in network adapter properties manually! Windows and Hyper-V do all that automatically. In your case as you will create an external switch using a WLAN NIC a so called Bridge will also be created. That, too should be left alone, do not change its properties manually!
    The bridge is required because a Hyper-V vm sees all network connections as wired connections; a host WLAN NIC takes care of all communications, the Bridge presents it as a wired NIC to vm:

No internet connection in Hyper V with external switch after restart [​IMG]

An important detail to notice is that after you create an external switch to allow network and Internet on your virtual machines, your host PC will also switch to it, starts using it as network adapter. In other words when you will see in host Network and Sharing Centre that host is using the Hyper-V external switch, leave it there, do not try manually to switch back to your WLAN NIC.

Create an external virtual switch using your WLAN NIC, come back to tell how it went.

Kari, Apr 6, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch

Just to add to Mystere's excellent post, using a Hyper-V external switch virtual machines get a bridged connection. If you prefer NAT (Network Address Translation) instead, you don't have to create an external virtual switch. About bridged vs. NAT: NAT vs. bridged network: A simple diagram - TechGenix

To use NAT in Hyper-V, first create an Internal switch in Virtual Switch Manager then share your host Ethernet or WLAN connection with your internal switch:

No internet connection in Hyper V with external switch after restart [​IMG]

In VM settings set virtual machines to use the internal switch. They will now get private IP addresses 192.168.137.XXX, internal switch on host acting as DHCP server with IP 192.168.137.1.

Using NAT only with virtual machines makes external virtual switch unnecessary but as it makes networking between host and virtual machines quite a challenge if not impossible, the bridged mode with an external switch is the recommended way.

Quote from an old tutorial at our sister site EightForums.com:

(From EightForums.com tutorial Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager)

Kari, Apr 6, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

No internet connection in Hyper V with external switch after restart

Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Internal switch is more secure because it has no Internet access, it can only communicate with the local network. A bridged internal switch is no longer internal switch.

As soon as you created the bridge, your internal switch became external. The setup you have now is an external switch setup, you are most definitely not using internal switch. This is important to understand so I repeat it: An internal switch is a switch which is connected to local network only but has no internet access. To connect to Internet you need to select an external switch. Bridging an internal switch will create a de facto external switch but can bring connectivity issues.

This from my tutorial at Eight Forums:

A Virtual Switch can be external, internal or private.
    • External Virtual Switch: will connect a vm to host NIC. If host NIC is connected to Internet through router, the vm is also connected to Internet. If host NIC (LAN) is not connected to router or if the router has no Internet access, the internal network will still work allowing computers (physical and vm) belonging to the same subnet and workgroup or domain to communicate with each other (file and media sharing etc.). When connecting external switch to host WLAN NIC, the vm loses all connectivity when WLAN is disabled or not connected on host.
    • Internal Virtual Switch: When a virtual NIC is connected to Internal VS it can communicate with other computers and vms on the same subnet but has no Internet access.
    • Private Virtual Switch: When a virtual NIC is connected to Private VS it can communicate with other vms on same Hyper-V server but cannot communicate with host PC nor has it Internet access. A Private vs is often needed when installing a legacy Linux or pre-XP Windows vm. After installation you need then to disable Private Switch and use Internal or External to connect to the network.
    In your case, to get rid of those minor issues, I would disconnect and delete the bridge, create an external switch and change settings for each of your virtual machines to set them use the external switch you created.

When you create an external switch assigning a WLAN adapter to it, Hyper-V takes care of creating the bridge with correct settings.

Kari, Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

No internet connection in Hyper V with external switch after restart

1. No internet connection in Hyper V with external switch after restart - Similar Threads - internet connection Hyper

2. Hyper-V external switch issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V external switch issue: Hello all, I have a small issue with my Hyper-V! I run windows 11 on Hyper-V and also on my main machine. I installed the VM everything is fine except that when I want to enter the password, it says "Your device is offline", with Enhanced session mode on. When I turned off,...
  3. Hyper-V external switch issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V external switch issue: Hello all, I have a small issue with my Hyper-V! I run windows 11 on Hyper-V and also on my main machine. I installed the VM everything is fine except that when I want to enter the password, it says "Your device is offline", with Enhanced session mode on. When I turned off,...
  4. Hyper-V issues with external switch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V issues with external switch: Hello all, I have a small issue with Hyper-V with windows 11 as a VM and also as a main machine. First it doesn't connect to the internet when the enhanced session is off, despite the fact that the switch is externalfirst image bellow. Secondly, when the enhanced session is...
  5. Hyper-V issues with external switch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V issues with external switch: Hello all, I have a small issue with Hyper-V with windows 11 as a VM and also as a main machine. First it doesn't connect to the internet when the enhanced session is off, despite the fact that the switch is externalfirst image bellow. Secondly, when the enhanced session is...
  6. Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch: Hi, I am setting a virtual machine under Hyper-V. I have been setting up Hyper-V virtual machines but on a desktop computer and everything ran perfectly, network too. It is my first time working on a hosted server. The host is a Dell Poweredge C6100 server, Intel...
  7. Hyper-V Internet Connection

Hyper-V Internet Connection: I have created a virtual Android machine with Hyper-V in Windows 10. I am however unable to establish any internet connection to the Android machine. Can I somehow create some virtual cable connection between the host and the Android VM as I did before with VirtualBox and how...
  8. hyper-v external switch messes up internet on host

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    hyper-v external switch messes up internet on host: Hi Im running gameservers therefore i can not use the default switch as that is NAT. I would like to use my host machines network adapter(have only one internet access, so needs to be shared), but if i make an external virtualswitch the internet messing up as i never seen...
  9. Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch: I get the error "bind failed: General access denied error" when I try to create an external virtual switch. [img] I tried running Hyper-V with as admin without success. Kevin 43133
  10. Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch

Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch: After adding Hyper-V to Windows 10 Pro, Windows now accesses the internet with the virtual switch I created for Hyper-V instead of my Ethernet connection. Why isn't Windows 10 using my Ethernet connection? 83247