Windows 10: No internet when Hyper-V running, need help configuring external switc

Discus and support No internet when Hyper-V running, need help configuring external switc in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello, I was trying to use prior thread, but it was too old and suggested to create new thread, also I am total NOOB, COULDN'T figure out myself so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by hugujju, Nov 11, 2016.

1. hugujju Win User

No internet when Hyper-V running, need help configuring external switc

Hello,
    I was trying to use prior thread, but it was too old and suggested to create new thread, also I am total NOOB, COULDN'T figure out myself so asking for help here.
    So i finally managed to do P2V and create .VHDX image, successfully created virtual machine using that disk and booted windows 7. My Host OS is W10 pro. On first boot without changing anything of course it didn't have internet as I hadn't created any switch. I have been googling how to make it work but couldn't figure out anything. Anyways I ran into guide to create NAT connection but even then no help getting internet working in Host pc. instead I keep losing internet connection in Host OS. (Only external internet connection to my PC is WIFI).
    Here are screenshots of all my networks and wifi connection properties
    Can someone please help me?
    Thank you.

No internet when Hyper-V running, need help configuring external switc [​IMG]

:)

hugujju, Nov 11, 2016
  2. ShyShi Win User

Hyper-V with OpenVPN on Host Machine

Hi All,

I'm running Windows 10 Build 10565 with Hyper-V role. My PC(Host Machine) has an assigned IP with MAC binding, and a data limit. So I use OpenVPN with IPv6 to get unlimited access to the Internet(through a VPS remotely). That's to say, I have a physical
    Network Card and a Virtual Network Card(TAP-V9 by OpenVPN) before the Hyper-V installed. When I launched a VM, I could not get access to the Internet on it(running Win7) in any configuration of virtual NIC. Besides, if I set the Virtual NIC with the physical
    network card in external mode, it would also break the OpenVPN access. So how do I config the Hyper-V Virtual NIC to get it work?

Any Advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Shy Shi

ShyShi, Nov 11, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 11, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

What a mess you have created! I think I've never seen such an amount of unusable network connections on single Windows PC.

Anyway, please post following two screenshots:

1.) On host, open an elevated (= Run as administrator) PowerShell or PowerShell ISE, type command Get-VMSwitch, press Enter. Take a screenshot of output and post here, example below:

Your first screenshot in original post might already answer this question but to be sure I want to see this from PowerShell

2.) Open Device Manager on host, expand Network adapters. Take a screenshot, post here, example below:

5. hugujju Win User
    Hi Kari,
    I know, i thought it would be simple straight forward process to create external switch like it was in VMWare, but things didnt work, i kept googling and trying any solution that might work. I was afraid problem was stemming from P2V, but figured later on it was me not knowing how to make external switch work in Hyper-V. LOL Ended up making noob mess, but i cleaned it all up, please take a look at how things look like after clean up.
    checked if anything would work after clean up but still all the same. no luck still.

hugujju, Nov 11, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    OK, after cleanup it looks quite good except that you have no external switches created.

Extract from a tutorial at our sister site Eight Forums:

(From Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager)

You have managed to create an internal switch, now it's time to create an external one.

See Part Three: Create a virtual switch in this tutorial Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. Notice that as you mentioned you only have WLAN connection on your PC, you need to select the WLAN NIC in Step 3.4 in the tutorial.

Do not change any default settings in network adapter properties manually! Windows and Hyper-V do all that automatically. In your case as you will create an external switch using a WLAN NIC a so called Bridge will also be created. That, too should be left alone, do not change its properties manually!
    The bridge is required because a Hyper-V vm sees all network connections as wired connections; a host WLAN NIC takes care of all communications, the Bridge presents it as a wired NIC to vm:

An important detail to notice is that after you create an external switch to allow network and Internet on your virtual machines, your host PC will also switch to it, starts using it as network adapter. In other words when you will see in host Network and Sharing Centre that host is using the Hyper-V external switch, leave it there, do not try manually to switch back to your WLAN NIC.

Create an external virtual switch using your WLAN NIC, come back to tell how it went.

7. hugujju Win User
    YOU ARE AWESOME BUDDY, ok so first thing I got everything to work. For some weird reason when I tried to create external switch it threw bunch of errors, I just fired up turn on/off features and removed Hyper V, restart, re enable Hyper V and restart and created external Switch according to step 3.4. That alone didn't resolve the issue, Host PC maintained internet but guest OS wouldn't. It was step 5.4_& 5.5 that made everything work flawlessly. What an excellent GUIDE you have created. So easy to follow and works 100% in first attempt. I wish I had ran into this guide first, for whatever reason in my google search it didn't come up on top.
    I just wrote up what made my setup work for other noobs who might run into same issues as me, as I have seen many other forums in which people mentioned same issue but found no resolution.
    Anyways THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN. You rock.

hugujju, Nov 11, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

You are welcome *Smile

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No internet when Hyper-V running, need help configuring external switc - Similar Threads - internet Hyper running

2. Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives: Hi There I am running Windows 11 in a VM. All is working fine expect that I cannot see how to show my external hard drives in File Explorer. When I first ran the VM I clicked on something (!) and they appeared. That VM was accidently deleted and now I cannot recall how I got...
  3. Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives: Hi There I am running Windows 11 in a VM. All is working fine expect that I cannot see how to show my external hard drives in File Explorer. When I first ran the VM I clicked on something (!) and they appeared. That VM was accidently deleted and now I cannot recall how I got...
  4. Help with Hyper V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with Hyper V: I am having a problem booting linux machines on hyper v. I created a virtual machine of mint linux and it runs fine but all additional VM's that I create will not boot up. They start to boot then just hang. What am I doing wrong?
  5. Hyper-V Internet Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V Internet Access: Please, is there anyone out there that can help me with connecting a Hyper-V virtual machine to the internet? I have now tried everything possible and read everything I could find on the internet, but still my VMs refuse to connect to the internet. What am I still doing...
  6. Hyper-V Switch Impacting Internet Even When VM Is Not Running

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V Switch Impacting Internet Even When VM Is Not Running: I'm running VMs for class on Windows 10 Pro using Hyper-V. While the VM is running it doesn't matter whether I can browse the internet on the regular machine as long as the VM can do it. However, when I turn the VM off entirely and shut down Hyper-V, my wifi continues to...
  7. Hyper-V Hypervisor not running - can't remove Hyper-V feature

Hyper-V Hypervisor not running - can't remove Hyper-V feature: I am using Windows 10 Insider Preview 11082 (upgraded from Windows 1151 fully updated. I had installed the Hyper-V feature in the latest Windows 1151 but had not used it before I received and installer the Insider Preview edition. The Hyper-V Manager was configured OK...
  8. Creators Update and Hyper-V - Upgrade Configuration Version

Creators Update and Hyper-V - Upgrade Configuration Version: Hello all, I have installed Creators Update and in Hyper-V Manager, when I click on "Upgrade Configuration Version" on any of my VMs, nothing happens. I am running Enterprise edition. And I think it is because of that I can't use new features of Hyper-V like windows...
  9. Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?

Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?: As the title indicated, anybody tried running both successfully on Win 10? I've seen people doing that on Win 8 forum( Solved Hyper V and VMWare on the same machine - Page 2 ), so I'm wondering if this method would work on Win 10... Any help/pointers would be great as I...
  10. Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.

Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.: I have them both set up, but I don't seem to have any options to enable any sound in the hardware section of Hyper-V. Is it not possible to use these operating systems with sound? I used to use Windows Virtual PC 2007 and sound worked perfectly on those, both on 98 and XP....
Tags: