Windows 10: "No items match your search" on a particular external drive but not consistently

Discus and support "No items match your search" on a particular external drive but not consistently in Cortana to solve the problem; I get "No items match your search" when I search on a particular external drive, but it's not consistent. If I restart the computer, it usually will go... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by rlafever, Jan 8, 2020.

1. rlafever Win User

"No items match your search" on a particular external drive but not consistently

I get "No items match your search" when I search on a particular external drive, but it's not consistent. If I restart the computer, it usually will go ahead and work. I've tried a number of suggestion solutions and none seem to be working.

:)

rlafever, Jan 8, 2020
  2. Stevekir Win User

Search not including items in external USB drive

Thanks for that.

My C: drive is an SSD with its Documents, Pictures etc. folders Redirected to the D drive. The D drive (external USB) holds all my Documents, Pictures etc. etc. That works for simple inspections by browsing (that is, I can open my Documents etc. folder (actually empty of course) in the C: drive and see all my Documents, Pictures etc..

I have been experimenting. As you advised, I selected my C and D drives in Indexing Options (please see attachment). The number of items went up from 72,000 to 141,000. Encouraging.When I search (next to the Start Button) for Aberdeen I get nothing to do with my computer - just web. At the top of its window are three icons: Find results in Apps/...in Documents/... in Web. Pictures, Music or Video are not offered. Documents produces results.

Still in that window, I press More at the top right and get a list: Search by category: All, Apps, Documents, Folders, Music, Photos, Settings, Videos and Web. (I wonder what "photos" means in this context?) I select Folders and get a list of folders including some in my Documents folder. Again, no Pictures, Music or Video.

Going back to the main search bar next to the Start button I search for pictures:aberdeen and get a minute proportion of what is in my pictures folder. Also, a message "These results may be incomplete" (this was what I and some others got last week, after the Anniversary Upgrade) when doing any search. It was cured by changing my language settings to be consistent.)

What a palaver! It is much quicker and more complete to go back to Windows 7 methods and before and search directly in a folder or folders that seem to be the one that might (or might not) hold what I want.

Cortana is shown by MS to be wonderful. MS says "Type what you're looking for in the search box on the taskbar. You'll get suggestions and answers to your questions, and search results from your PC and the web." Yeah!
    What I want is to be able to search my computer generally, as a whole, for the name of someone mentioned in a letter buried two deep in folders somewhere, anywhere. Can this be done using just the search term in the search bar?

Thanks.

"No items match your search" on a particular external drive but not consistently [​IMG]

Stevekir, Jan 8, 2020
  3. 'no items match your search' / google drive help

hello! classic problem from what i can tell:

trying to search for files in windows 10 and get the 'no items match your search', when there's clearly items in there.

i uninstalled google drive because i hated it, which could be part of the issue. i've also heard it could be permissions. getting nowhere.

any help appreciated!

brillsteaks, Jan 8, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

"No items match your search" on a particular external drive but not consistently

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

1. "No items match your search" on a particular external drive but not consistently - Similar Threads - items match search

2. How to change the "No items match your search" text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the "No items match your search" text: this text on my PC is really bothering me, I have to cover my screen every time I search for something in File explorer AND when I save or open a file in a program. I absolutely f!#*in' hate this text to death, and could someone tell me a way to change it? if there is a way,...
  3. How to change the "No items match your search" text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the "No items match your search" text: this text on my PC is really bothering me, I have to cover my screen every time I search for something in File explorer AND when I save or open a file in a program. I absolutely f!#*in' hate this text to death, and could someone tell me a way to change it? if there is a way,...
  4. Why do "No items match your search"?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do "No items match your search"?: I know FOR A FACT that the value in the search bar occurs in a file in this folder. Yet, the windows search feature can't seem to find that file. Yes, I am searching in file contents. Why does windows' search feature suck so much now?...
  5. Why do "No items match your search"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do "No items match your search"?: I know FOR A FACT that the value in the search bar occurs in a file in this folder. Yet, the windows search feature can't seem to find that file. Yes, I am searching in file contents. Why does windows' search feature suck so much now?...
  6. Why do "No items match your search"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do "No items match your search"?: I know FOR A FACT that the values in the search bar occurs in a file in this folder. Yet, the windows search feature can't seem to find that file. Yes, I am searching in file contents. Why does windows' search feature suck so much now?...
  7. No item match your search - tried everything

No item match your search - tried everything: Hi,As described in the subject the search bar in windows doesn’t work. It doesn’t find anything even though I search for *.* If I try the same research on the drive c: some file get found, in about 2 seconds and they are really few. I tried to rebuild the index several times....
  8. Search: Matching items in network locations in Libraries not found

Search: Matching items in network locations in Libraries not found: Searching Windows key + S for known file and folder names and known phrases in documents doesn't return matching items in network locations in my Libraries. I ran the Search and Indexing troubleshooter with admin rights. It found "incorrect permissions on windows search...
  9. No Items Match Your Search Within Office 365 Web App

No Items Match Your Search Within Office 365 Web App: Hello, I am having trouble loading files when searching in Office 365. When I attempt to search for keywords pertaining to certain files and hit the "enter" key, I am brought to a page that displays the message: No items match your search. Previously when I would attempt to...
  10. Search not including items in external USB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not including items in external USB drive: My Documents folder is on an external USB drive. My C: drive is on an SSD. The Documents folder in the C: drive has been redirected to that folder on the USB drive. When I search (the field to the right of the Start button) for anything that I know is in that docs. folder on...