No jpg file association ?

Discus and support No jpg file association ? in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I double clicked on xxx.jpg and LibreOffice opened. I wanted to change the program to IrfanView. I went in through Start > search > associations.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ken1943, Jul 30, 2015.

1. ken1943 Win User

I double clicked on xxx.jpg and LibreOffice opened. I wanted to change the program to IrfanView. I went in through Start > search > associations.

How could they screw that up ?

:)

ken1943, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Shenan Stanley Win User

Photos NOT opening on Windows 10!! HELP!!!!

What are JPGs associated with on your computer?

Reset them to defaults. Go here:

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10

Download the
    JPE
    JPEG
    , and
    JPG
    REGISTRY files and MERGE them into your registry. Restart your computer. Locate a JPG file and double-click to open.

Shenan Stanley, Jul 30, 2015
  3. SteveStevensonUSA Win User
    jpg files cataloged but won't open

Solved.

I eventually realized that the problem involved only a single file-type, and checked in user B's Control Panel for what program was associated with .jpg. Apparently some update or internal process set the jpg-associated program to TWINUI. Changing it to
    Photo Gallery corrected the issue.

SteveStevensonUSA, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Skalli Win User

Screw up what? When I open the Control Panel (view: small icons) -> Default Programs -> Associate a file type or protocol with a program I can easily select all the well-known file extensions, including jpg or jpeg.

Skalli, Jul 30, 2015
  5. ken1943 Win User
    It is under Default Programs, but not File Associations where it was since XP.

ken1943, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Skalli Win User
    Vista and 7 also have it there. I am writing from Win7 Enterprise right now and checked against my Win10 laptop next to me. *Wink

Skalli, Jul 30, 2015
  7. ken1943 Win User
    MS must not keep programmers that worked on previous version. So far that is the only "major ??" thing for me.

ken1943, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Slartybart Win User

LibreOffice grabbed the file extension when you installed that program, it is not a MS issue. That association just carried over when you upgraded to Win10.

.jpg is one of the file types assigned to Photos app by default. I use GIMP and had to manually assign .jpg to GIMP, just as you did for IrfanView.

Slartybart, Jul 30, 2015
  9. MortTheBeast Win User
    I had that issue with my MP3's but a simple right click on an MP3, then Open With, then Choose another app and picked the program I wanted it to open with and checked off Always use this app...

MortTheBeast, Jul 30, 2015
  10. ken1943 Win User
    I had another program set and not LibreOffice. It is an MS issue.

ken1943, Jul 31, 2015
  11. Slartybart Win User
    Ok, it's impossible to troubleshoot with such little information. All I knew was I double clicked on xxx.jpg and LibreOffice opened. I wanted to change the program to IrfanView. Now you say you had another program set, but don't mention what the program was.

Trouble shooting technical issues is not best resolved by a guessing game, so I guess I don't know enough to offer more help.

Your best bet is to provide feedback to Microsoft, if it is their issue, they'll fix it.

[​IMG]

MS decided to include the Windows Feedback app in the production release of Windows 10.

Look for the Feedback app either on Start or in the Start menu list.

Slartybart, Jul 31, 2015
  12. ken1943 Win User
    I just got a survey from MS. Too old to tell them what I really think, but mentioned the file association and task bar color. I have had replies about the task bar and they were wrong. One guy doesn't even have 10 installed. Win 10 does not have the additional screen to change 3 settings like 8 did.

ken1943, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

No jpg file association ? - Similar Threads - jpg file association

1. Snipping Tool - Saving jpg, png files as Word docs with no pic

in Windows 10 Support
    Snipping Tool - Saving jpg, png files as Word docs with no pic: Hi all, I am barely computer literate, so please bare with me. I have been using the Snipping tool for over a year now. I use it a lot for my job. Anyway, recently, whenever I hit "save as" and select jpeg, png it saves it as an unreadable word document. Sometimes, if I keep...
  2. Win10 keeps tying pdf files to Edge & jpg, gif etc files to Paint

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 keeps tying pdf files to Edge & jpg, gif etc files to Paint: A recurring problem: whatever one does or tweaks in PC settings - and I tried everything - Windows 10 keeps reverting to its own Edge for pdf files, and to its clunky Paint 3D program for most usual graphic files like jpg, gif, bmp, png, etc... For a few minutes after a...
  3. Some jpg image files spontaneously copy

in Windows 10 Support
    Some jpg image files spontaneously copy: My laptop contains many jpg images and copies of about 300 of them keep appearing, spontaneously. These copies have the same name as the originals with the suffix (1) attached. It is the same files that keep copying. I keep deleting the copies but the next day they are back...
  4. Unusual file named .62030.jpg.3bqiFX

in Windows 10 Support
    Unusual file named .62030.jpg.3bqiFX: I was making a backup of my website files to Windows 7 with Cygwin (from a LAMP server, regular PHP script) and in the process something has created a file like this: .62030.jpg.3bqiFX In the folder where it appeared, there is a nother original file named 62030.jpg,...
  5. How to repair corrupted JPG files & prevent corruption

in Windows 10 Support
    How to repair corrupted JPG files & prevent corruption: I have a collection of JPG files and when trying to open those old JPG files, I find corrupted ones in them. It is always very disappointing but I have no idea how and when they happened. The storage media is 1TB SSD (Samsung 850 Pro-MZ-7KE1T). My question is if there is...
  6. How to return pixia as default jpg file viewer/opener

in Windows 10 Support
    How to return pixia as default jpg file viewer/opener: I activated win10 MSpaint and it "captured" all my files as the primary file opener. When I go to default files to change win 10 settings is does not show pixia as a choice. It used to because that's how I set it up two years ago. thanks for all help that comes in very...
  7. JPG files are Photo after Creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    JPG files are Photo after Creators update: I want JPEG file to be recognized as JPEG not as Photo after creators update, but I do want to keep "photo" as standard program to open. Robby 81436
No jpg file association ? solved