No jpg file association ?

Discus and support No jpg file association ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I double clicked on xxx.jpg and LibreOffice opened. I wanted to change the program to IrfanView. I went in through Start > search > associations.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ken1943, Jul 30, 2015.

1. ken1943 Win User

I double clicked on xxx.jpg and LibreOffice opened. I wanted to change the program to IrfanView. I went in through Start > search > associations.

How could they screw that up ?

:)

ken1943, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Shenan Stanley Win User

Photos NOT opening on Windows 10!! HELP!!!!

What are JPGs associated with on your computer?

Reset them to defaults. Go here:

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10

Download the
    JPE
    JPEG
    , and
    JPG
    REGISTRY files and MERGE them into your registry. Restart your computer. Locate a JPG file and double-click to open.

Shenan Stanley, Jul 30, 2015
  3. SteveStevensonUSA Win User
    jpg files cataloged but won't open

Solved.

I eventually realized that the problem involved only a single file-type, and checked in user B's Control Panel for what program was associated with .jpg. Apparently some update or internal process set the jpg-associated program to TWINUI. Changing it to
    Photo Gallery corrected the issue.

SteveStevensonUSA, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Skalli Win User

Screw up what? When I open the Control Panel (view: small icons) -> Default Programs -> Associate a file type or protocol with a program I can easily select all the well-known file extensions, including jpg or jpeg.

Skalli, Jul 30, 2015
  5. ken1943 Win User
    It is under Default Programs, but not File Associations where it was since XP.

ken1943, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Skalli Win User
    Vista and 7 also have it there. I am writing from Win7 Enterprise right now and checked against my Win10 laptop next to me. *Wink

Skalli, Jul 30, 2015
  7. ken1943 Win User
    MS must not keep programmers that worked on previous version. So far that is the only "major ??" thing for me.

ken1943, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Slartybart Win User

LibreOffice grabbed the file extension when you installed that program, it is not a MS issue. That association just carried over when you upgraded to Win10.

.jpg is one of the file types assigned to Photos app by default. I use GIMP and had to manually assign .jpg to GIMP, just as you did for IrfanView.

Slartybart, Jul 30, 2015
  9. MortTheBeast Win User
    I had that issue with my MP3's but a simple right click on an MP3, then Open With, then Choose another app and picked the program I wanted it to open with and checked off Always use this app...

MortTheBeast, Jul 30, 2015
  10. ken1943 Win User
    I had another program set and not LibreOffice. It is an MS issue.

ken1943, Jul 30, 2015
  11. Slartybart Win User
    Ok, it's impossible to troubleshoot with such little information. All I knew was I double clicked on xxx.jpg and LibreOffice opened. I wanted to change the program to IrfanView. Now you say you had another program set, but don't mention what the program was.

Trouble shooting technical issues is not best resolved by a guessing game, so I guess I don't know enough to offer more help.

Your best bet is to provide feedback to Microsoft, if it is their issue, they'll fix it.

No jpg file association ? [​IMG]

MS decided to include the Windows Feedback app in the production release of Windows 10.

Look for the Feedback app either on Start or in the Start menu list.

Slartybart, Jul 30, 2015
  12. ken1943 Win User
    I just got a survey from MS. Too old to tell them what I really think, but mentioned the file association and task bar color. I have had replies about the task bar and they were wrong. One guy doesn't even have 10 installed. Win 10 does not have the additional screen to change 3 settings like 8 did.

ken1943, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No jpg file association ? - Similar Threads - jpg file association

2. Problems with Windows10 Photos App: 1) all pictures go to 1 file instead of files indexed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Windows10 Photos App: 1) all pictures go to 1 file instead of files indexed...: I try to import photos from my iphone 8 to my Dell laptop with Windows10, both running with up to date versions of their software. I connect iphone to the PC with a USB cable. Photos app came with the laptop. I read most of the answers from the community but they didn't solve...
  3. Full Network Does Not Show in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Full Network Does Not Show in File Explorer: When I open File Explorer and click on the Network icon in the left margin, I see multiple devices but I do not see all of my PCs. I have 3 PCs (all running Win 10 home version) and on one of the PCs the only PC that shows is the PC that I am running File Explorer. On another...
  4. Unable to write dump file while BSOD occur-why?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to write dump file while BSOD occur-why?: Hi folks. Occasionally I experience BSOD, and in a previous question from me (for various reasons did not get a response in the thread) my problem is the event will not be written as a dump file. My computer has 64 GB or internal RAM, which I have set the minimum page wrap...
  5. File Error 1073740791

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Error 1073740791: Started getting this error after the Windows 10 April 2018 update. Can document that fact. I had used the "Run as Administrator selection" to get backups on my financial software. I also noticed that the X on the window had stopped working on some things. I'm trying to...
  6. Word 2007 Can No-Longer open .DOCM files after upgrade to Windows 10

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2007 Can No-Longer open .DOCM files after upgrade to Windows 10: Today, I upgraded a Windows 8 system to Windows 10 Home. All seemed to work well. NOW however, Word 2007 cannot open a .DOCM file that has an embedded Excel spreadsheet object (.XLS). I've never seen such a thing before and I'm lost. There's a bunch of chatter about Security...
  7. How to configure Windows 10 to create Dump Files on Blue Screen of Death

in Windows 10 News
    How to configure Windows 10 to create Dump Files on Blue Screen of Death: [ATTACH] Whenever a Windows computer runs into an error, it shows a BSOD or a Blue Screen of Death. This screen usually comes up for a fraction of second, creates some logs or Dump Files as many other people refer and then suddenly [...] This post How to configure Windows 10...
  8. How fo I remove an old user's files left sfter removimg the user? There's over 2 g of space...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How fo I remove an old user's files left sfter removimg the user? There's over 2 g of space...: I have old user files left after deleting user. How do i remove them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/how-fo-i-remove-an-old-users-files-left-sfter/32f5b559-f0f2-4796-b966-e32f59adad40"
  9. Navigation Pane On/Off in File Explorer necessarily always global?

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane On/Off in File Explorer necessarily always global?: Hi there. I'm new to Windows 10 (but very familiar with all other versions of Windows from the very first!), so this is my first post here. Am I right in assuming that (unfortunately for me!), the option to turn on/off the Navigation Pane in File Explorer is always...
  10. Cannot open Java install file in Window 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot open Java install file in Window 10: I cannot open Java install file: [ATTACH] When I double-click to this program, nothing happens Here is my window infor: [ATTACH]...