Windows 10: No listing under MSConfig Boot tab / not sure what to do

Discus and support No listing under MSConfig Boot tab / not sure what to do in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my SSD from a 500 GB drive to a 1 TB drive. I cloned the drive with Arocnis True Image 2016. It seemed to work, but then it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mcomp72, Aug 7, 2016.

1. mcomp72 Win User

No listing under MSConfig Boot tab / not sure what to do

I recently upgraded my SSD from a 500 GB drive to a 1 TB drive. I cloned the drive with Arocnis True Image 2016. It seemed to work, but then it wouldn't boot up. I followed some instructions I found on another forum about how to repair the bcd (booting up using the Windows 10 USB stick and going into the command prompt and running several commands), and that worked. The computer now boots up. However, I have now noticed that there is no listing under the MSConfig boot tab. Also, I don't know if System Restore is working - under C:, it says (Missing). See attached screenshots. I am not sure what to do now. I need to boot into Safe Mode, but I can't select Safe Mode in MSConfig because there is nothing listed under the Boot tab. It seems likely that whatever I did at the command prompt has messed things up. Anyone have any idea how I would fix this?

No listing under MSConfig Boot tab / not sure what to do [​IMG]

:)

mcomp72, Aug 7, 2016

2. Windows 10 pro 32bit boot

Since you mentioned that you tweaked something in the msconfig, I would suggest going into the msconfig again and under the Boot tab, make sure that the Normal Boot is checked then apply any changes. Reboot your PC.

iamveryshai, Aug 7, 2016
  3. Computer only starts in safe mode

Hi,

To boot in Windows normally, please make sure that your computer is configured to
    Normal Startup in msconfig.

You can check it by following the steps below:

• Click Start, and then click Search.
    • Type msconfig, and then hit Enter.
    • Under the General tab, select Normal startup.
    • Under Boot tab, make sure safe boot is unchecked.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Loraine Mon, Aug 7, 2016
  4. mcomp72 Win User

Here's one more screenshot that might be helpful.

I notice that none of the drives are marked as active, and when I right click on them, the option to set a partition as active is greyed out.

mcomp72, Aug 7, 2016
  5. mcomp72 Win User
    Also, I don't know if this is relevant, but in case it is:
    - My BIOS is UEFI
    - My new SSD is formatted using GPT
    - I don't know if my old SSD was formatted using GPT or MBR

mcomp72, Aug 7, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    One problem is that the system reserved partition on Disk 0 is NTFS formatted. It needs to be converted to FAT32. That might fix your boot listing issue.

GPT disks booting in UEFI mode will not have an active partition.

After you convert the System Reserved partition to FAT32, the easiest way to make sure you have a good BCD and other boot files in there is to boot from a Macrium Reflect Free rescue drive or DVD. Under the restore menu is a utility to fix Windows boot problems. Run that utility and it will fix you right up. If you don't have Macrium Reflect Free installed to make a rescue disc with, it is included in Kyhi's recovery drive - which is an excellent recovery/repair tool to have anyway:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Read my quote in the middle of the OP in that thread to see how to make a combination Kyhi Recovery / Windows 10 installation USB.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2016
  7. mcomp72 Win User
    I was unable to convert the system reserved partition into FAT32. I could not figure out how. I found instructions on how to convert FAT32 to NTFS, but not the other way around. Am I dead in the water without being able to do this? Would I need to format the drive and do a fresh install of Windows 10 in order to make that partition be FAT32?

I actually had a USB stick with Macrium on it already, so I went ahead and booted up with it, just to see what would happen. Here is a screenshot.

Note: the D drive is a secondary internal drive, but I never boot from it.

I clicked on Recovery, and was able to select the C drive in regards to where Windows was installed. However, when it asked me what partition the computer should boot from, it only listed my D drive.

Also, when I was in BIOS, I noticed that there is now another Windows Boot Manager listing. It looks slightly different than the other five that were already there, because it actually lists the name of the drive in parentheses.

I'm at a loss as to what to do now. Can you recommend a way to convert my NTFS partition into FAT32?

mcomp72, Aug 8, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Aug 8, 2016
  9. mcomp72 Win User
    Before I saw your last post, I decided to try a "trick" -- I created a backup of my C drive using Acronis, but only of the partition with Windows on it, not the System Reserved area. I then formatted the drive and did a fresh install of Windows 10. I was able to boot into Windows, so I ran Macrium. Some problems seem to be fixed, but not all. MSConfig now shows one item under the Boot tab, I think the C drive now has the correct partitions (though not sure since I'm not an expert on this) but I still have 6 Windows Boot Manager entries in my UEFI BIOS. See below screenshots.

Notice how under the two other partitions for Disk 0, it is blank for File System and Name. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

If the other two problems are now solved, how much should I worry about these extra entries of Windows Boot Manager? Preferably I'd like their to be only one (assuming there is only supposed to be one), but I don't know enough about the BIOS to know if it's anything worth worrying about.

If you think I should try, any ideas on how to fix it? Someone mentioned trying an app called EasyBCD, but I haven't yet because I know nothing about it.

mcomp72, Aug 8, 2016
  10. mcomp72 Win User
    I ran EasyBCD just to look at it, but didn't attempt to make any changes with it. In case you are familiar with the software, here is one screenshot which might be helpful. I really don't know, since all of this is a bit above my head.

mcomp72, Aug 8, 2016
  11. mcomp72 Win User
    Oh, I forgot to include this in my last post: this is what EasyBCD said when I first launched it.

mcomp72, Aug 8, 2016
  12. mcomp72 Win User
    Also, I took a screen shot after I ran BCDEDIT at the Command Prompt. I am confused as to why it lists partition = G: in the first listing. I don't have a G drive.

mcomp72, Aug 9, 2016
  13. mcomp72 Win User

Wow – I have just had one of the strangest computer troubleshooting experiences I have ever had.

I attempted to repair the BCD with EasyBCD. Afterward, I rebooted. The computer would not boot up – in fact, it wouldn’t even get past the initial motherboard screen. If I pressed DEL, it would not even boot into the UEFI BIOS. I was sure I had screwed it up beyond all repair.

I looked on a forum, and someone recommended unplugging all drives, both internal and external, and trying to boot up. I did that, and this time I was able to get into the BIOS. I then plugged in one drive at a time, shutting down the computer between each one. Every time it booted up fine.

What’s even more strange: all of the additional Windows Boot Manager listings were no longer showing up in my BIOS. I have no idea if it was what I did in EasyBCD, or just the act of turning off the power to the computer somehow cleared out the BIOS somehow.

In any event, it appears ALL of the issues I was having when I started this thread are now resolved. NavyLCDR, thank you for all the help!

mcomp72, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No listing under MSConfig Boot tab / not sure what to do - Similar Threads - listing under MSConfig

2. The msconfig boot tab is empty, and I can't do safe boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The msconfig boot tab is empty, and I can't do safe boot: Hi, I do need some help. This problem started when I converted my disk from MBR to GPT using paragon partition manager. Basically, I wanna upgrade my win 10 to win 11. Apparently, the upgrade failed 0x800703ee. after reading many articles, I just try to solve the problem by...
  3. The msconfig boot tab is empty, and I can't do safe boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The msconfig boot tab is empty, and I can't do safe boot: Hi, I do need some help. This problem started when I converted my disk from MBR to GPT using paragon partition manager. Basically, I wanna upgrade my win 10 to win 11. Apparently, the upgrade failed 0x800703ee. after reading many articles, I just try to solve the problem by...
  4. The msconfig boot tab is empty, and I can't do safe boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. MSCONFIG Boot Tab..change order

in Windows 10 Support
    MSCONFIG Boot Tab..change order: In MSCONFIG Boot Tab is possible, change the order of the boot selection that appear when the system turns on ? Thank Hispa 168983
  6. Not sure what to do

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not sure what to do: So mcafee was saying my computer was at risk last night and I didn’t think much of it because I thought it was just trying to get me to buy it but today my computer is working WAY slowing then usual so I don’t really know what to do. Can somebody please tell me what’s going...
  7. not sure what to do next

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    not sure what to do next: I am running windows 10 pro 32 bit on an older Dell Inspiron1545 the version num. is 1809. I was wondering if I could run virtualization on this computer. I was told to download vmware. I have checked there is no virtualization in the Bios, I also checked the cpu and it...
  8. msconfig has not os listed in Boot section

msconfig has not os listed in Boot section: Ms config has no OS listed in boot section. I think this is why I am Having a problem. ""Sorry, we're having trouble determining if your PC can run windows 10."" It is running windows 10 system properties Startup and recovery system startup Default operating...
  9. Multiple copies of Windows 10 in MSCONFIG Boot tab

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple copies of Windows 10 in MSCONFIG Boot tab: For as long as I can remember the General tab in MSCONFIG always had the Selective Startup option checked with the Use original boot configuration not checked as follows. [img] When I check the Use original boot configuration option the default switches to Normal startup...
  10. Under the boot menu tab, the only OS listed is windows 7.

Under the boot menu tab, the only OS listed is windows 7.: Upon starting windows (10) I'm constantly being shown the boot manager and the only OS I can choose from is windows 7. I am using W10 having upgraded from W7. Windows still boots but the startup times vary from 15sec to around 3min. Here is a screenshot of my boot tab in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msconfig os boot usb for another pc