Windows 10: No Login Prompt After Startup, Tried Everything

Discus and support No Login Prompt After Startup, Tried Everything in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; After a new version of GandCrab Malware was added omto my PC and was unable to be decrypted, I decided to perform a system restore through the command... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by xTrUtHx, Jan 20, 2019.

1. xTrUtHx Win User

No Login Prompt After Startup, Tried Everything

After a new version of GandCrab Malware was added omto my PC and was unable to be decrypted, I decided to perform a system restore through the command prompt in safe mode. I was able to successfully restore my system to how it was at 1 am on January 20th, which is today, and also after the Malware was added.

After the system restore, my PC restarted as usual, but instead of being prompted with my normal login screen, there is just my login background which is dimmed (like how it is when I'd usually be entering my password), and the system buttons such as language, ease of access, internet, and power. There is no time displayed, and no box for the password, it doesn't even show my user. I can move the cursor around, but dragging up or pressing any keyboard keys does nothing. Ctrl + Alt + Delete does nothing. I can only interact with the system buttons that are normally there, which I have been using to restart my PC, although this does nothing. I have tried starting in safe mode through various ways, which doesn't make any difference, and I have tried various commands through the command prompt as administrator to scan my drive, which also does nothing. I considered doing a clean reset of my PC as a last resort, but every time I clicked reset (with keeping my things as well as with resetting everything), it would immediately bring up a message saying that my PC couldn't be reset.

I don't know what to do. I want to be able to at least log in to my PC, and if I can't do that, I want to be able to reset my PC. I'd like any help I can get. Thank you.

:)

xTrUtHx, Jan 20, 2019

2. At startup, no password or login prompt

At Windows startup a login prompt with a password box, user account picture or name does not appear. All i see is my screen saver background. I found a temporary fix which is restarting my computer, then and only then can i type in my password to access my computer. The issue also happens if i put it to sleep, or hibernate, also have to restart computer. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Stranded360, Jan 20, 2019
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    At startup, no password or login prompt

@Stranded360

It may be an issue with Fast Startup. At an Admin command prompt, type (copy/paste this), and press enter.

powercfg -h off

Reboot.

This will turn off Fast Startup and disable hibernation. You will still be able to Sleep the machine.

Without more info, this is just a good guess since there are issues with Fast Startup and logon, etc.

You can reverse this by powercfg -h on

Worth a shot.

f14tomcat, Jan 20, 2019
  4. No Login Prompt After Startup, Tried Everything

Windows 10 login prompt not appearing in startup- Help Please!

Hi,

The login prompt may not appear at startup due to system file and user profile corruption. Since you have tried some of the troubleshooting steps known to resolve this issue, we suggest resetting the PC. Make sure to choose the
    Keep my files option. To do so, follow the steps under Reset your PC section found on this article:

Recovery options in Windows 10
    . This method reinstalls Windows 10, keeps your files, and removes installed apps in your system.

Do not hesitate to reply if you need more help.

Dhavelyn Mer, Jan 20, 2019
Thema:

No Login Prompt After Startup, Tried Everything

1. No Login Prompt After Startup, Tried Everything - Similar Threads - Login Prompt Startup

2. Stuck at windows login screen after trying everything on the internet!

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck at windows login screen after trying everything on the internet!: My Windows user password has automatically changed itself im pretty sure i entered the correct password. I tried logging in with my Microsoft account but even that wasn't working even when all the credentials were totally correct !! I'm stuck at the login screen! And NO i...
  3. Stuck at windows login screen after trying everything on the internet!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck at windows login screen after trying everything on the internet!: My Windows user password has automatically changed itself im pretty sure i entered the correct password. I tried logging in with my Microsoft account but even that wasn't working even when all the credentials were totally correct !! I'm stuck at the login screen! And NO i...
  4. Stuck at windows login screen after trying everything on the internet!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Command prompts open and closes after startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command prompts open and closes after startup: The command prompt window states: C:\Users\Loriefel\AppData\Roaming\Ffox.cif https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompts-open-and-closes-after-startup/e268668d-56ae-4efe-a274-b9625a6ba97a
  6. Command prompts open and closes after startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command prompts open and closes after startup: The command prompt window states: C:\Users\Loriefel\AppData\Roaming\Ffox.cif https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompts-open-and-closes-after-startup/e268668d-56ae-4efe-a274-b9625a6ba97a
  7. Command prompts open and closes after startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. No login prompt

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No login prompt: Hi all, I have been encountering an irritating issue. My PC, an Asus laptop with Windows 10 Home, does not prompt the login page after starting the PC. After a seemingly normal and fast boot, I get the screen with the clock and date, but after clicking on it, there is no...
  9. No login prompt after locking screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No login prompt after locking screen: Hello, I locked my company computer last Friday because it had to make some calculations. When I came back on Tuesday and wanted to unlock it, there was only a black screen with my mouse pointer. After pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL the background of the login screen appeared, but...
  10. At startup, no password or login prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    At startup, no password or login prompt: At Windows startup a login prompt with a password box, user account picture or name does not appear. All i see is my screen saver background. I found a temporary fix which is restarting my computer, then and only then can i type in my password to access my computer. The issue...