Windows 10: No login prompt and cannot boot in safe mode.

Discus and support No login prompt and cannot boot in safe mode. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Am helping a friend set her PC back up after it has been stored (everything unplugged) for about 9 months. When we first went to turn it on the fans... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zetamax79, May 31, 2018.

1. zetamax79 Win User

No login prompt and cannot boot in safe mode.

Am helping a friend set her PC back up after it has been stored (everything unplugged) for about 9 months.
    When we first went to turn it on the fans kicked in and it would appear to start booting up but then turn itself off again after about 10 or so seconds of activity.
    It did this 3 times and on the 4th attempt it finally loaded.
    However, it loaded as far as the login screen and when we mouse click or press a button the time etc clears from the screen but the login prompt is not there at all.

Have searched through forums and seen mention of similar problems solved by booting in safe mode.

I cannot get this PC to boot in safe mode.

Shift+Restart - the pc says it is restarting but just shuts down.

Power on and interrupt loading 3 times to try and get Automatic Repair Mode to trigger has done nothing. It will just load to the login screen again once I let it load fully.

I even tried holding F2 while turning it on to try and get to BIOS, but this did nothing.

I'm stumped at this point, how can I get this PC to boot in safe mode?

:)

zetamax79, May 31, 2018
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

I am repairing a laptop for a friend and I need to access windows in safe mode and the owner has forgotten the password to the main user. I tried logging on with the administrator profile in safe mode but it is not showing up so I was going to use command prompt in safe mode with command prompt but command prompt will not open when I boot that option. Does anyone have any hints for me to figure this out?

cwtech, Jun 25, 2018
  3. cwtech Win User
    command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Jun 25, 2018
  4. No login prompt and cannot boot in safe mode.

Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

No login prompt and cannot boot in safe mode.

1. No login prompt and cannot boot in safe mode. - Similar Threads - login prompt cannot

2. Stuck, can't login and in Safe Mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Stuck, can't login and in Safe Mode: I entered regular safe mode this morning and it had been stuck there ever since. It says wrong password, I've tried all passwords and pins I can remeber and nothing. Tried choosing safe mode with networking in troubleshooting (holding shift while selecting restart) but...
  3. No login prompt/safe mode boot not working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No login prompt/safe mode boot not working: Hi, I just installed a new GPU and after rebooting my computer, I'm not being presented with a login prompt, when I interact with the PC it just goes to this screen and I am not able to progress further. I have tried multiple times the "shift" + restart method to boot the...
  4. Login woes in Safe Mode

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Login woes in Safe Mode: I am working on a computer running Windows 10, 64-bit. The model computer is an HP 15-f211wm laptop. A friend brought it over saying there was a problem with sound and thought it may be infected. I saw Malwarebytes was already installed. I updated it using an ethernet...
  5. No keyboard or mouse on login and safe mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No keyboard or mouse on login and safe mode: Hi My keyboard and mouse are only working in the Bios and in the Recovery Console. I have tried to system restore as well as safe mode and some of the other “F” keys functions. The bios has no USB legacy setting. My question is, can I delete the USB driver over the...
  6. Cannot enter safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot enter safe mode: Hi, My Asus laptop is stuck in a startup repair loop while trying to fix error 0x80070091, I've tried following things: Use this guide: Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery - Windows 7 Help Forums Use the option 'reset this pc' and tried to use 'system recovery' but all...
  7. Shortcut to boot safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut to boot safe mode: How can I make a desktop shortcut to reboot in safe mode? 85532
  8. Stuck in Safe Mode - no password prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in Safe Mode - no password prompt: I wanted to log in to Windows 10 in safe mode, so I use msconfig to choose "Diagnostic startup" and rebooted. Windows loads the sign-in screen, with my sign-in wallpaper, the date/time, and the 'no network' icon in the bottom-right. When I press any key to sign-in, the...
  9. Cannot get into safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get into safe mode: Hey everyone, I'm trying to get into safe mode as a last resort for solving a 'boot to black screen' problem, but it's been impossible for 7 hours of attempts now. I can't login--I can't even get past the blinking cursor screen (it just goes black infinitely), so only...
  10. Unable to login to boot command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to login to boot command prompt: Hi, I have just used the SHIFT-Restart option to activate the Windows 10 Troubleshooting and tried to open a command prompt. It asked for a password. I entered my password but was told it was incorrect. I booted normally using the PIN I normally use, and went...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. no login screen windows 10