Windows 10: No longer able to access files on external drive from other devices

Discus and support No longer able to access files on external drive from other devices in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since the recent update I can no longer see folders/files on external drives from other devices on my homegroup. Specifically, I have two external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Robin Minnoch, Aug 13, 2018.

1. No longer able to access files on external drive from other devices

Since the recent update I can no longer see folders/files on external drives from other devices on my homegroup.

Specifically, I have two external drives containing movie/video files which I can no longer access.

I can access files on my hard drive.

Any suggestions?

:)

Robin Minnoch, Aug 13, 2018
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Aug 13, 2018
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    External Drive "not accessible"

Hi,

Corrupted USB controller is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to access your external hard drive. We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this

link
    to resolve the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Aug 13, 2018
  4. No longer able to access files on external drive from other devices

Can't Access Either of My External Drives After 14393

Hi Michael,

To better assist you with your concern, I would like to ask if you're getting any error messages when accessing your external drives? If yes, can you provide us with the exact error message?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Go to Device Manager.
    • Click on USB Mass Storage.
    • Right click on your USB, and then click on Update Driver Software.
    • Once done, check if you can access your external drives.

Regards.

Ruizell Rey, Aug 13, 2018
Thema:

No longer able to access files on external drive from other devices

1. No longer able to access files on external drive from other devices - Similar Threads - longer able access

2. Not able to access Photos on my External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to access Photos on my External Hard Drive: I have problems to access my photos saved on external hard drive Toshiba as they appear to be locked. Please assist me in unlocking these files and in some cases entire folder is locked. I am also not able to copy the file on to my laptop internal storage. For some reason I...
  3. Not able to access Photos on my External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to access Photos on my External Hard Drive: I have problems to access my photos saved on external hard drive Toshiba as they appear to be locked. Please assist me in unlocking these files and in some cases entire folder is locked. I am also not able to copy the file on to my laptop internal storage. For some reason I...
  4. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive: So, today i was having a presentation and when i plugged my pendrive in my laptop and tried to paste some items in it it gave me the following errors→ You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folderwhen i click continue to give it the permission it says...
  5. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive: So, today i was having a presentation and when i plugged my pendrive in my laptop and tried to paste some items in it it gave me the following errors→ You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folderwhen i click continue to give it the permission it says...
  6. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Access files from other windows drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Access files from other windows drive?: I have two installations of windows on two separate hard drives currently running. When i boot the pc it gives the option to choose from my installations from windows 10 and 8.1 . I wish to be able to access all the files of each installation from either windows install. For...
  8. Not able to access external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not able to access external hard drive: Hello all. I have just read a post but it does not reach my situation, quite. I have an ASUS notebook and an ASUS laptop and a couple of external hard drives which I needed to add storage space to help with Windows updates, on the notebook because it's got very limited...
  9. W10 no longer can access other devices on network.

W10 no longer can access other devices on network.: I THINK I found the problem/answer in another thread, ... but it is an old thread and I am not sure. That thread is here: Cannot access shared network drive In any case, here is the case: Computer #1 DELL W10-64 Computer #2 Toshiba W7-64 Computer #3 Acer W7-32 NAT...
  10. Can no longer access all computers/files/external hard drives

Can no longer access all computers/files/external hard drives: My computers crashed a few days ago - power failure - when everything was back up, my external hard drives were no longer visible on one PC in my network/homegroup the files are still visible in homegroup - I just get an error when trying to access. The message...