Windows 10: No longer able to dual boot win 10 and 8.1 ?

Discus and support No longer able to dual boot win 10 and 8.1 ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I used to have windows 10 and windows 8.1 dual boot on my laptop pc. However after a serious mistake I made, I ended up having to start fresh. with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Skydragon1, Oct 13, 2018.

1. No longer able to dual boot win 10 and 8.1 ?

So I used to have windows 10 and windows 8.1 dual boot on my laptop pc.

However after a serious mistake I made, I ended up having to start fresh. with windows 10.

But now I can't install windows 8.1! It always says a needed driver is missing!

I tested my windows 8.1 iso in a virtual machine and it works, so it can't be corrupted.

I also made a new installation usb in case something was wrong with the old one and the same thing happens.

The only things I can see that might be the cause is that my BIOS was updated and I'm now using windows 10 1803.

I was previously dual booting with windows 10 1709 and 8.1. Could that be the problem?

:)

Skydragon1, Oct 13, 2018
  2. davidhk Win User

Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04?

Once I had Windows 10 RTM dual booting with Linux 17.2. No issue whatsoever.

Here is a tutorial on dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.04
    http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/d...th-screenshots

davidhk, Oct 14, 2018
  3. theog Win User
    Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8

No problems with UEFI Dual boot Windows 8/8.1 & 10.

No longer able to dual boot win 10 and 8.1 ? [​IMG]

theog, Oct 14, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

No longer able to dual boot win 10 and 8.1 ?

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Oct 14, 2018
  5. Patrick Member
Thema:

No longer able to dual boot win 10 and 8.1 ?

1. No longer able to dual boot win 10 and 8.1 ? - Similar Threads - longer able dual

2. Dual Boot Win 10 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Win 10 to Win 10: I have problem related to setting up a dual boot. i am running Windows version 20H2 . When I tried to install windows on a partition using the latest Windows 10 USB installation, the setup continually rebooted after copying the installation files. I tried several times and...
  3. win 10 dual boot

win 10 dual boot: Running win 7 want to set up win10 in Partition. bought win 10 cd but it wants to overwrite win 7 rather then install in separate partition. I have the key etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-dual-boot/e592c47b-19de-4d84-9df2-7b9c6bb4aed9
  4. Win 10 will no longer boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 will no longer boot: I changed parameter under Boot Tab, Advance Options using MSCONFIG command. Win 10 will no longer boot. How do I resolve this issue as I can no longer access MSCONFIG to remove what I changed ??...
  5. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  6. Dual boot 8 and 10, will both be licensed?

Dual boot 8 and 10, will both be licensed?: I installed W10 onto my daughters laptop, but rolled back to W8. Is it possible, now that there is a license for each, to partition and do a clean install of 10 creating a dual boot? and will both be licensed? Thank you. 99619
  7. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  8. Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8

Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8: A little early but this is what I am looking at. [img] I plan to just remove Win 7 (C) and install Win 9 Preview in its place as (C) At present Win 8 is on a Logical drive (W) but have thought about deleting Win 7 and converting Win 8 (W) to a primary partition and...
  9. Win 8.1 dual boot no longer works.

Win 8.1 dual boot no longer works.: Hi all, Thanks for the assist in diagnosing in advance I have 4 partitions. 1 => System Reserved 2 => Win 10 3 => Win 8.1 4 => Storage When I try to boot into the win 8.1 it gives me an error. Even after restoring the win 8.1. partition from a Macrium image....
  10. It would be unreasonable for MS to not allow Win 7/8 + 10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Support
    It would be unreasonable for MS to not allow Win 7/8 + 10 dual boot: This is a matter of retaining access and compatibility with much already owned software. A person receives no additional benefit to it beyond that - and that is a benefit that should stay with them. Using a license to install Windows 7, 8, and presumably 10 on a PC...