Windows 10: No longer able to edit mp3 metadata

Discus and support No longer able to edit mp3 metadata in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I checked wav and m4a, I'm still able to edit metadata with those. I haven't had a problem editing mp3's before. With File Explorer, Groove Music, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Garfwog, Oct 18, 2020.

1. No longer able to edit mp3 metadata

I checked wav and m4a, I'm still able to edit metadata with those. I haven't had a problem editing mp3's before. With File Explorer, Groove Music, and even navigating to Details under Properties. I can't even give the song a star rating. I checked that they weren't marked "Read Only", still happening. Anyone familiar with this?

submitted by /u/Garfwog
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Garfwog, Oct 18, 2020
  2. Steve C Win User

MP3 Metadata Problem...Can't Edit Without Deleting Other Values

Here are some ideas about programs I used to sort out the MP3 metadata to ensure my car displays track details correctly.

1. Use the free program Tagscanner TagScanner - The Ultimate Tag Editor to check and edit the MP3 file metadata for artist, album art etc. The same editing can be done in iTunes but Tagscanner is much easier and faster. Check both the artist and album artist fields are completed, the song name & album name are correct, track number & disc number are set and that embedded album art is present for every track. Note multiple tracks can be selected and edited simultaneously.
    2. Use free program MP3Test Willkommen auf Shivan's Homepage to quickly check and test for MP3 file errors. Correct any simple errors using Tagscanner.
    3. Use the free program MP3Diags MP3 Diags to perform a detailed check of MP3 files and correct errors. This program has a learning curve and some experience to use.

Steve C, Oct 18, 2020
  3. jld4444 Win User
    Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files

I'm running Windows 10, fully updated. All of a sudden and for no apparent reason, I'm unable to update any metadata/tags for audio and video files. Haven't tried to update metadata for other types of files.

It's very important to me to be able to edit the metadata/tags on audio files so that my 14,000+ audio files organize correctly for playlists, etc., and I like proper metadata on video files as good practice.

Audio files are largely .mp3, and video files are either .mp4 or .wmv.

I have tried Properties > Details on individual files in File Explorer and several tag/metadata editors that have worked great for years. Some tag editors will show the metadata/tags it allegedly saved, but when I go back to File Explorer
    they're not there. I have also ensured that the same metadata/tag categories I edited in tag editors display in File Explorer.

I've also tried some suggestions from forums:

• Making sure proper permissions are granted
    • Ensuring I'm signed in to Microsoft
    • Copying a file and trying to edit the copy's metadata/tags
    • Copying the files to new and existing other folders and trying to edit
    • Ensuring the files are not read-only

Any ideas on what could have made the metadata/tags uneditable all of a sudden, and more importantly how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

jld4444, Oct 18, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

No longer able to edit mp3 metadata

Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file

I agree - routinely using a dedicated tag editor is more straightforward.

However, you can restore some features to Windows - Properties, Details and the Details pane in File explorer using free File Metadata
    File Metadata - Home

E.g.

No longer able to edit mp3 metadata [​IMG]

dalchina, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

No longer able to edit mp3 metadata

1. No longer able to edit mp3 metadata - Similar Threads - longer able edit

2. Edit details on MP3

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edit details on MP3: HiPlease advise how to enable editing on an MP3Why is it that some MP3 file's property details can be entered/changed and not others?I've compared one that I can't and one that I can and can't see anything that's different, except the details locked on one and not the...
  3. Edit details on MP3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edit details on MP3: HiPlease advise how to enable editing on an MP3Why is it that some MP3 file's property details can be entered/changed and not others?I've compared one that I can't and one that I can and can't see anything that's different, except the details locked on one and not the...
  4. Edit details on MP3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Edit Folder Metadata

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edit Folder Metadata: Hi, How do I edit folder metadata in Windows 10? There are a lot of metadata columns that could be used to display valuable information in windows explorer about a folder (author, title, genre, tags, comments, etc...). How do I edit that information? submitted by...
  6. Editing MP3 Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Editing MP3 Properties: When editing a File Name in an MP3 file, the system deletes the Title property. When editing any property in a group of files, the system deletes all Title values. This is a new problem since the last update. I have over nearly 200,000 MP3 files and have been editing...
  7. Metadata no longer supported

in Windows 10 Support
    Metadata no longer supported: Hey gang, you have been very helpful fixing other problems that my friends have ! So here is the problem, my friend sent me: I'm sure you already know Microsoft has cancelled the service supplying metadata for windows media player which means I can't get album art or track...
  8. Scanner No longer able to scan document and edit

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Scanner No longer able to scan document and edit: I have a resume that has been downloaded for a while and when necessary was able to correct and change when ever I needed. I desperately need to update it and I can't. I have had to scan it scans to my laptop as a PDF. I no longer can scan and save as a doc. Why?...
  9. MP3 Metadata Problem...Can't Edit Without Deleting Other Values

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MP3 Metadata Problem...Can't Edit Without Deleting Other Values: I'm not sure this is a Window's problem/issue, but hopefully someone here can help out... Basically, when I edit the Album info in the metadata, it deletes all the other metadata. I bought the new 50th anniversary Beatles White Album. All 6 discs are named something...
  10. Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file

in Windows 10 Support
    Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file: Hi All, I've downloaded an album, and I'm trying to edit the title tag of each file, however as soon as I edit it and click apply, the file is losing all of its metadata (title, artist, album etc.) To edit the title, I'm just right clicking on the file > Properties >...