Windows 10: No longer able to get into BIOS

Discus and support No longer able to get into BIOS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; System is a new (4 month old) B450-HDV R.4.0, AMD Ryzen 3. 8 GB RAM. OS is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Build 18363. Two 500 GB SSDs Been having some issues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Rich A, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Rich A Win User

No longer able to get into BIOS

System is a new (4 month old) B450-HDV R.4.0, AMD Ryzen 3. 8 GB RAM. OS is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Build 18363. Two 500 GB SSDs Been having some issues with I/O (RS-232) and a few other things but basically the Win 10 system is stable and working with a few issues I've been living with and currently troubleshooting.

Recently I opened the BIOS and disabled the mobo RS-232 serial port to test something. Did my testing etc. and then a few days later tried to get back into the BIOS to re-enable the Serial port. But now I can NOT get into the BIOS any more.
    I've read just about everything relevant thread on this forum and others and tried all the fixes for this "BIOS access problem".
    Note .. this is a dual boot system that works okay. Upon turn on I get the normal post screen .. offering to use F11 for boot menu, F2 or Del for boot to BIOS. If I do nothing it then automatically brings up a boot menu where I can use my keyboard to select either windows 10 or windows 7. That all works fine. However IF during the initial post screen showing F11 / F2/ Del, I touch any key .. the screen goes black. Can't use any of those options. But if I wait for my "auto-loading" second dual boot option screen to appear .. the keyboard is responsive and I can select an OS to boot.

I've been using it to boot to BIOS with my wireless Keyboard and Mouse normally and used to be able to hit <del> or F2 or F11 but now hitting any of those keys creates a dead computer .. no screen or control and I have to do a hard reset.
    I have the ASRock software application "Restart to UFI Bios option" installed and that used to work, but doesn't now. Between the time it was working and then not working there were a few major windows OS updates. Don't know if that might have caused a problem ?

I've tried the Win Settings / Recovery to Advanced options (UEFI Firmware Settings) but that option isn't even listed ??
    The actual BIOS is still the original as installed a few months ago .. (1.0) I was told by Asrock to NOT do a BIOS upgrade with my current mobo/CPU. So I haven't touched that.

BTW, I've also installed a wired USB KB, as well as a wired PS2 keyboard. The Mobo has a PS-2 port and right next to that port are two dedicated USB-2 ports which are normally for a kb and mouse. Nothing works. They all "used to work".
    Most weird is how during the post while it's waiting for me to hit Del F2 or F11 it will just sit there until it automatically runs my dual boot option at which time the keyboard does work. But If I touch ANY KEY during that initial wait for my input .. the screen goes black and the PC is unresponsive.

So my question (if you've stuck with me so far <grin>) is this. I haven't done a BIOS update in years. My next try would be to do a hard reset of the BIOS .. pulling the plug and draining the CMOS and letting it reset back to factory settings. I will image the hard drives of course but I'm curious if re-setting the BIOS will have any adverse effects on my programs or OS ??
    Of course I'm hoping I missed something and someone here might have a suggestion. This PC is not the one used in my forum Profile .. system Info is at top of post. Thanks

:)

Rich A, Jul 9, 2020

2. bios

Hi all i am new in this forum, i need meanings step by step of each item listed in the bios Phoenix-Award

central473, Jul 9, 2020
  3. access BIOS settings in Win 10

I have an 8-year old computer running Win 10. I need to access the BIOS settings. It used to be the holding down the F2 key during startup would bring up the BIOS screen in Windows computers. But this no longer works. A web article listed a complicated
    series of steps leading to a reboot . . . but still no access to BIOS. Any suggestions?

R BruceBeckner, Jul 9, 2020
  4. No longer able to get into BIOS

Cheap Photo box that will get the job done

WEll i took on this project for PP hes a hardware reviewer and wants to get the professional looking pics for the Pc parts

Materials:
    • Big cardboard box
    • a razor
    • white material 3 yards
    • cone lights
    • stapler
    • medical tape
    • pvc pipe about 6 inches longer than your box
    • white paint any cheap finger paint would work
    the project I'm guessing will cost me $30 if it works out properly
    I will post pictures and step by step as i do it

MomentoMoir, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

No longer able to get into BIOS

1. No longer able to get into BIOS - Similar Threads - longer able BIOS

2. No longer able to manage child account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No longer able to manage child account: Dear Family SafetyI had two accounts set up that are now consolidated into one. Apparently, I registered one family to manage an older kiddo under one of the accounts and another family to manage the younger one, nine years younger. As a result of the recent changes, I can...
  3. Local VM's no longer able to be RDP'ed

Local VM's no longer able to be RDP'ed: For over a year, without fail, I've had multiple locally hosted HyperV VM's that I have never had an issue connecting to using Remote Desktop. Now, it seems with Win10 21H2 update, I can no longer use Remote Desktop to connect to them and now have to use the crappy built in...
  4. Not being able to boot into the bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not being able to boot into the bios: I recently setup a new pc and once it was up and running decided to install the drivers which in turn led me to downloaded the latest bios file.I performed the following steps for all of those drivers except biosDownload all folders to desktopUnzip thoseOpen them and run the...
  5. Not being able to boot into the bios

Not being able to boot into the bios: I recently setup a new pc and once it was up and running decided to install the drivers which in turn led me to downloaded the latest bios file.I performed the following steps for all of those drivers except biosDownload all folders to desktopUnzip thoseOpen them and run the...
  6. Not being able to boot into the bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. No longer able to log in as OWNER

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No longer able to log in as OWNER: I am setting up some computers for a non-profit.I just got my own computer to begin this process, and had been logging in as OWNER, an administrator. This was the way my computer was set up when I got it. It did not have an email or password assigned to it.I added another...
  8. No longer able to edit mp3 metadata

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No longer able to edit mp3 metadata: I checked wav and m4a, I'm still able to edit metadata with those. I haven't had a problem editing mp3's before. With File Explorer, Groove Music, and even navigating to Details under Properties. I can't even give the song a star rating. I checked that they weren't marked...
  9. No longer able to delete desktop.Icons, which no longer work

in Windows 10 Support
    No longer able to delete desktop.Icons, which no longer work: With the last update to W10’s most of my desktop icons no longer work, nor can I delete them. when you right click the icon you get the same tile as are you click in the middle screen, no properties, no delete, nothing to do with the icon. When you hover the cursor over the...
  10. no longer seems able to apply an update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    no longer seems able to apply an update: For those still dealing with this issue of DISM not working, there is a thorough discussion of this on page 30 of this thread, and why many have had trouble, but it may be that from this point the easier thing will be to use the downloaded newer version (1607) and do a Repair...