Windows 10: No longer able to log in because PIN setup fails with "Something Went Wrong"

Discus and support No longer able to log in because PIN setup fails with "Something Went Wrong" in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Since an update a month or more ago I have been unable to log into to my Windows 10 20H2 19042.804 because after supplying my Microsoft password and... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by GuyPickering, May 1, 2021.

1. No longer able to log in because PIN setup fails with "Something Went Wrong"

Since an update a month or more ago I have been unable to log into to my Windows 10 20H2 19042.804 because after supplying my Microsoft password and approving the Authenticator app I am prompted to set up a PIN. The setup fails with a "Something Went Wrong" message. Hitting Retry does not help and clicking "Skip for now" takes me back to the main login screen after briefly flashing "Welcome". Unfortunately this is the only admin account on the machine. I have logged in under a non-admin account, but am unable to change any settings e.g. registry as that user. So I am stuck in in infinite

:)

GuyPickering, May 1, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Windows 10 - No longer able to log in with pin

Before going to a lengthy explanation and advice, could you please confirm if I am right or wrong assuming that your original user account, that from school, is an Azure AD account?

If you are not sure, do this to check it:

Sign in to your school account. When signed in, click your avatar in Start menu and select Switch account:

No longer able to log in because PIN setup fails with "Something Went Wrong" [​IMG]

Now sign in to your MS account. When signed in, click the MS account avatar in Start menu. Can you now see the school account name as Azure AD\Your_Name:

No longer able to log in because PIN setup fails with "Something Went Wrong" [​IMG]

How we proceed depends on if the school account is shown as Azure AD account or not.

Each user account in Windows have their own password and PIN. Whatever account type the school account is, it has its PIN. When you set up an additional MS account, it requires its own PIN:

Kari, May 1, 2021
  3. Ginny89 Win User
    No longer able to use PIN on laptop

Hi.

I am able to use my PIN on my tablet and my phone. However, I can no longer use my PIN when signing in on my laptop. It has been many months since I was last able to use it on my laptop. When I select the PIN option now on my laptop, it says I am unable
    to log in this way due to your setup settings. I am unsure what steps to be able to use my PIN again on my laptop. I really, really do not want to use a new PIN if at all possible

Best regards,

Ginny89, May 1, 2021
  4. No longer able to log in because PIN setup fails with "Something Went Wrong"

Not able to setup Windows Hello PIN

I performed clean boot as suggested and it did not make any difference.

The PIN setup windows opened like before with no boxes to enter PIN.

Please suggest.

RajatPal7626, May 1, 2021
Thema:

No longer able to log in because PIN setup fails with "Something Went Wrong"

1. No longer able to log in because PIN setup fails with "Something Went Wrong" - Similar Threads - longer able log

2. Log-in Pin - Something went wrong code:0x80284001

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Log-in Pin - Something went wrong code:0x80284001: Aaaaas https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/log-in-pin-something-went-wrong-code0x80284001/1c85e7e1-0a9c-4f2b-afa8-0072eb26fdd5
  3. Log-in Pin - Something went wrong code:0x80284001

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Log-in Pin - Something went wrong code:0x80284001: Aaaaas https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/log-in-pin-something-went-wrong-code0x80284001/1c85e7e1-0a9c-4f2b-afa8-0072eb26fdd5
  4. Something went wrong. Pin setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something went wrong. Pin setup: I have had my laptop for 2 weeks when suddenly i can nolonger access windows. When I turn on my laptop, it shows the only account I have setup. When I click "sign in" it opens a Microsoft account window asking to sign in to my account. I enter my email and click "next". I...
  5. Something went wrong. Pin setup

Something went wrong. Pin setup: I have had my laptop for 2 weeks when suddenly i can nolonger access windows. When I turn on my laptop, it shows the only account I have setup. When I click "sign in" it opens a Microsoft account window asking to sign in to my account. I enter my email and click "next". I...
  6. Log-in Pin - Something went wrong code:0x80284001

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Log-in Pin - Something went wrong code:0x80284001: Hello, every time I open my laptop, there's a 4-digit pin I use to log in. But it starts showing this problem. My legion 5 is only 3 weeks old. I'm unsure if it is because of an update or the laptop itself....
  7. Log-in Pin - Something went wrong code:0x80284001

Log-in Pin - Something went wrong code:0x80284001: Hello, every time I open my laptop, there's a 4-digit pin I use to log in. But it starts showing this problem. My legion 5 is only 3 weeks old. I'm unsure if it is because of an update or the laptop itself....
  8. Something went wrong with my PIN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Something went wrong with my PIN: I have a problem with my computer, I can't get into it The code is not accepted when I put it they tell me something went wrong and your PIN isn't available status: 0x80090011, substatus: 0x0. And I try to format it and I can't, and I try to delete updates as well, I can't...
  9. Windows hello not working because something went wrong with PIN.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows hello not working because something went wrong with PIN.: Hi, I am running Windows 10 Home on HP Omen-17 with Windows Hello Facial Recognition. I am able to set it up. But when I restart or Power down and up again, The login screen is blank. I have to put it to sleep and re-enter. When I do that, the error comes up saying...
  10. Something Went Wrong Error on Log in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Something Went Wrong Error on Log in: I am getting this error message: Something Went wrong Error, try again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/something-went-wrong-error-on-log-in/420281dc-e314-4b6b-9510-0223b741776c