Windows 10: No longer able to switch User Accounts in Windows 10

Discus and support No longer able to switch User Accounts in Windows 10 in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have been the only user/admin on my windows 10 desktop. Last week I set up a local account for my husband so he could have his own page. No... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by TammyWillis, Nov 11, 2018.

1. No longer able to switch User Accounts in Windows 10

I have been the only user/admin on my windows 10 desktop. Last week I set up a local account for my husband so he could have his own page. No problem there and I have been able to toggle back and forth between user accounts through ctl+alt+del. This afternoon I was currently in my own admin account. I had Chrome open with a few tabs and a picture up from earlier in the day. They were all frozen. My mouse was frozen and I was unsuccessful in closing the running apps through task manager. Wouldn't even bring it up with ctl+alt+del. So, I powered off my computer at the tower, waiting a few minutes and booted up. The only account it brings up in my husbands local account. Does not give me the option of choosing my account (the original acct that has been on this computer for 10 years!!)

Somehow powering it off created this predicament. Please help. Through my husbands local account I have looked up settings and user accounts. Nothing. It only shows my husband as local and administrator.

I also have a laptop that is linked to my Microsoft Acct. I am still able to access that and all my settings in Windows and Chrome are intact with bookmarks, history, etc that mirrors my desktop, so I know it's there somewhere.

Thank you in advance for any help.

:)

TammyWillis, Nov 11, 2018
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown No longer able to switch User Accounts in Windows 10 :(

Zakin, Nov 11, 2018
  3. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Nov 11, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

No longer able to switch User Accounts in Windows 10

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

No longer able to switch User Accounts in Windows 10

1. No longer able to switch User Accounts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - longer able switch

2. No longer able to manage child account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No longer able to manage child account: Dear Family SafetyI had two accounts set up that are now consolidated into one. Apparently, I registered one family to manage an older kiddo under one of the accounts and another family to manage the younger one, nine years younger. As a result of the recent changes, I can...
  3. No longer able to manage child account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No longer able to manage child account: Dear Family SafetyI had two accounts set up that are now consolidated into one. Apparently, I registered one family to manage an older kiddo under one of the accounts and another family to manage the younger one, nine years younger. As a result of the recent changes, I can...
  4. Not able to switch other accounts under windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not able to switch other accounts under windows 10?: Before restoring window, I can switch between users account under windows 10, but not after restoring window, I no longer can switch between users accounts .Any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks...
  5. Not able to switch other accounts under windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to switch other accounts under windows 10?: Before restoring window, I can switch between users account under windows 10, but not after restoring window, I no longer can switch between users accounts .Any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks...
  6. Not able to switch other accounts under windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Not able to Switch User in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Not able to Switch User in Windows 10: I have 4 user accounts. 3 of them are administrators and one is a test account that I have made to try and see if that would show up after creation, which it had not. I am not able to see account in the windows login page. I don't see the account name in the burger menu after...
  8. Not able to Switch User in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not able to Switch User in Windows 10: I have 2 user accounts. Both are administrator accounts. However, I am not able to see the second account in the windows login page. I don't see the account name in the burger menu after clicking on start. The account however exists in the User Accounts section. How do I...
  9. Not able to Switch User Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Not able to Switch User Windows 10: I have 4 user accounts. Only one administrator profile. However, I am not able to see three of the profiles in the windows login page. They are not listed under the start menu. When I attempt use administrative privileges it shows that the accounts are somewhere on the...
  10. User account switch

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account switch: Hello, I have set up a new Microsoft account for my son and added him to my Family account to enable him to use the home PC. Whilst using my laptop to change some of his account details and restrictions, I have somehow assigned his Microsoft account to my laptop user profile....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 missing switch user button

2. switch user option missing windows 10 home

3. switch user windows 10 missing

4. my switch user is no longer presented windows 10,
  5. windows 10 no longer able to switch user