Windows 10: No one can browse the internet if i download big files fast. (optimum)

Discus and support No one can browse the internet if i download big files fast. (optimum) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been having this issue for the longest now. im dealing with Optimum 200 plan and the wifi is blazing fast but here's my issue, whenever i download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xdarkmario, Feb 1, 2017.

1. No one can browse the internet if i download big files fast. (optimum)

I've been having this issue for the longest now. im dealing with Optimum 200 plan and the wifi is blazing fast but here's my issue, whenever i download a big file really fast sometimes like a 2gb file downloading at 8Mb/s or a 6gb file at 12Mb/s almost no one in the house can use the internet while that download is happening. on occasion if someone is already using the internet or playing a online game BEFORE the download starts they are unaffected. in chrome the error is
    "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG" and in other browsers it doesn't say.
    now the only thing i know is that the optimum guy supposedly did a "bad wire installation" from what i hear but i don't see how that can effect heavy downloading it would be 100% working or % 100% not.

:)

xdarkmario, Feb 1, 2017
  2. s60v5user Win User

Unsolved issues in C6-00

one browsing issue found:

downloading one pdf file(~900kb)...suddenly pause and i need to press "restart download" to download(start from 0kb)

but i can browse the internet...so not network problem!

pls fix this issue

RM-612

v.20.0.042

s60v5user, Feb 1, 2017
  3. Nokia 5610 XM Memory Card, Self restarting problems

Depends on how big the file is and how fast your internet connection is.

chanchan05, Feb 1, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

No one can browse the internet if i download big files fast. (optimum)

Hi there

Problem is probably throughput on router - cheap consumer routers and wifi cards probably are only half duplex anyway so the chances are with that type of file download at that bit rate the whole system will grind to a halt.

Can you for example download TWO files concurrently at 8Mb/s -- (assuming nobody else is on the system).

I don't think it's your ISP --especially if you have direct fibre cable into the house.

My own view of cases where you have a few concurrent users messing around with large up / downloads / shared files etc etc is to buy a commercial grade router that can handle the throughput -- ones dished out by the cable companies are usually really "el cheapo" models which work for the average person but not fit for purpose if you are doing loads of large up / downloads.

What you need also in this situation is some sort of sensible load balancing - a feature not usually available on Home type routers.

Remember also wifi has a MAX theoretical rate of 1300 Mb/s (bits /sec to avoid confusion) -- that's over 5GHZ or about 400Mb/s over 2.4 GHz.

Now as wifi is HALF duplex you'd be lucky to get 600 Mb/s at the best or less than 200 Mb/s on 2.4 GHZ. In practice you will get very much less than those speeds with typical wifi routers and cards so divide that over 4 or 5 users !!! - End of !!!.

Home router vs business router

Another solution for you might be to give yourself a WIRED connection which would alleviate the bottleneck on the Wifi.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 2, 2017
  5. hmmm interesting, thanks for the information, i tried logging on in to router but with optimum routers theirs not a ton of advanced options. i guess ill need a gaming router.

xdarkmario, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

No one can browse the internet if i download big files fast. (optimum)

1. No one can browse the internet if i download big files fast. (optimum) - Similar Threads - browse internet download

2. Fast internet but really slow downloads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fast internet but really slow downloads: I am trying to download files on opera I have also tried chrome and the download speed I am getting is 120 KB/s. I thought it may be a problem with the internet nut I am cabled into a TP link Wi-Fi extender using a cat 6 cable. I have checked using a speed test and the...
  3. Internet fast but download speed slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet fast but download speed slow: Hello, so the issue im having is that my download speed is very slow, and i dont know how to fix it. what i do know is that its not my ISP/ the plan i pay for, and its not my router asus RT-AX3000, as it is new. though i dont know if there are any settings i should change on...
  4. fast internet but slow download speed

fast internet but slow download speed: I am on win 11. I get about 900 Mb download yet on steam and epic games I get only from 100KB to 20MB.it should be around 40MB.I tried a number of solutions but none worked.I need help....
  5. Fast internet but slow download speeds

Fast internet but slow download speeds: I was recently downloading a 263mb file, and for some reason, my speed is around 57-60kbps. While downloading, I had done a speedtest from ookla and my download speed was - 45.78mbps, and upload speed was - 30.38mbps. After downloading, I ran another test, and my download...
  6. Fast internet but slow download speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fast internet but slow download speeds: I was recently downloading a 263mb file, and for some reason, my speed is around 57-60kbps. While downloading, I had done a speedtest from ookla and my download speed was - 45.78mbps, and upload speed was - 30.38mbps. After downloading, I ran another test, and my download...
  7. Very Slow Download But Fast Internet

Very Slow Download But Fast Internet: Hello, I used to be able to download files at around 25MB/s now it went all the way down to 2MB/s and it takes me 2 hours to download just 7GB. I tested my internet speed and I get around 160 mbps so my internet should be at least faster than 2 MB/s. Does anyone know what I...
  8. Fast Internet But Slow Download Speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast Internet But Slow Download Speed: Hey guys, so my internet speed is around 100 mbps but I only get 1MB/s when I download games on Steam or Battlenet. I used to get around 12MB/s on Steam and when I was downloading RDR2 from the Social Club I reached 25MB/s now, I tried downloading GTAV and maximum I got was...
  9. No internet, Secured but can still browse the internet

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No internet, Secured but can still browse the internet: Hi, Having an issue where i'm able to surf the internet but the WIFI box is showing 'no internet, secured'. It's causing me to be unable to update windows. i've tried multiple fixes all listed in the below link but nothing has worked. can anyone shed any light on what's...
  10. I can browse the internet but can't download anything.

I can browse the internet but can't download anything.: I'm able to open up a browser and go to websites but when i try to download anything my internet disconnects. I cant even get my Xbox to connect to the network but my phone connects and works just fine....