Windows 10: No option to create shortcuts when right clicking on desktop

Discus and support No option to create shortcuts when right clicking on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The title pretty much sums up the problem. When I right click on my desktop and select 'New' the only option is to create a new folder and there is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Grebo, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Grebo Win User

No option to create shortcuts when right clicking on desktop

The title pretty much sums up the problem.

When I right click on my desktop and select 'New' the only option is to create a new folder and there is no longer an option to create a shortcut. Also if I create the shortcut elsewhere and move it to the Desktop the shortcut breaks and no longer points to anything.

I haven't used this laptop for a while but have dug it out after a hardware fault with my main laptop. I used to have no problem in creating desktop shortcuts and this issue is a new one on me.

The laptop has been fully updated with all Microsoft windows updates since I last used it and the only other change was having to uninstall the old McAfee virus protection software so that I could install the new McAfee software.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

:)

Grebo, Sep 10, 2019
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

Create Ethernet adapter shortcut on the desktop.

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To create the Ethernet shortcut on your desktop, you can follow the step provided below.

Step: Create Ethernet shortcut on the desktop.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Type in ncpa.cpl
      and hit enter.
    3. You will see all your network adapter.
    4. Right click on your desired adapter and click on
      Create Shortcut and allow the prompt.
    5. Or you can drag and drop the network adapter on the desktop that will create a shortcut too.
    6. You can now right on the shortcut on your desktop and disable and enable internet connection.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Sep 10, 2019
  3. No desktop shortcut for Crysis or Crysis Warhead after installation?

Precisely.

Go to the game directory. Right-click on the exe file there and select 'create shortcut'.

Then right click on the created file, select "cut".
    Go to the desktop, right click and select "paste". That should do it fine.

Black Panther, Sep 10, 2019
  4. No option to create shortcuts when right clicking on desktop

How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 10, 2019
Thema:

No option to create shortcuts when right clicking on desktop

1. No option to create shortcuts when right clicking on desktop - Similar Threads - option create shortcuts

2. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  3. Add an option to create "new folder" when I right click on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add an option to create "new folder" when I right click on desktop: Hi,I want to add an option in right click on desktop options where-in I can create a new folder with an option to enter the required name.Please help!!Thanks in advance...
  4. Add an option to create "new folder" when I right click on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add an option to create "new folder" when I right click on desktop: Hi,I want to add an option in right click on desktop options where-in I can create a new folder with an option to enter the required name.Please help!!Thanks in advance...
  5. Add an option to create "new folder" when I right click on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Shortcuts Not Working/When Right Click no NEW option.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shortcuts Not Working/When Right Click no NEW option.: 1. When I Double Click the Shortcuts on My Desktop Noting happen. 2. When I Right Click Anywhere, There is no NEW option from the Dialogue Box/Popup Menu. My Question.... A. What has Caused these Malfunctioning of the System? B. How can I Fix it?...
  7. Create desktop shortcut in right click menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Create desktop shortcut in right click menu?: Hi, I'm on Windows 10 Pro and was wondering if there is any way to add the option to create a shortcut directly on the desktop instead of the folder that the original .exe file is in? Thanks for any help. submitted by /u/PricyThunder87 [link] [comments]...
  8. When right clicking on desktop, the desktop freezes.

in Windows 10 Customization
    When right clicking on desktop, the desktop freezes.: Hi, i'm having a problem with my MSI Laptop, where I right click the desktop, then it will turn my cursor into the blue circle and try to boot up the screen the gives you all those settings. Then it will take around 2 minutes for that to actually show, but when I click it...
  9. save to desktop is not an option when I right click

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    save to desktop is not an option when I right click: "save to desktop" is not an option when I right click https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-to-desktop-is-not-an-option-when-i-right/92103173-b318-487f-bd64-1f4f05ee8bac"
  10. No shortcut option on right click desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    No shortcut option on right click desktop: Please can anyone help. I have upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. When right clicking the desktop I only get the option under the "New" menu to crate a folder, no shortcut. Anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks 15032