Windows 10: No option to shrink partition in Disk Management

Discus and support No option to shrink partition in Disk Management in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've got a question about my Windows 10 Home laptop. I don't use it as much now but I thought about a scenario where I can install another copy of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alexncfc, Jul 21, 2021.

1. alexncfc Win User

No option to shrink partition in Disk Management

Hi, I've got a question about my Windows 10 Home laptop. I don't use it as much now but I thought about a scenario where I can install another copy of Windows 10 on a new partition (it's a 1tb SSD) to use as testing for Windows Insider builds - I've had a look around on this forum and elsewhere and it seems this would be possible to use the same Win10 license for both installations as it's on the same hardware and also only one copy can be in use at a time, is this correct? If so, I would like to make a new partition without losing my data, but when I go into Disk Management, although the "Shrink volume" option is available, the dialog box that comes up doesn't let me alter the size of the disk at all - it just stays at 0MB. Is there another way to be able to partition the disk, for free? Ideally I actually want 3 partitions - one for Windows 10, one for Windows 10 Insider builds and another one for my data, like photos, music, etc. Is this doable? Thank you!

:)

alexncfc, Jul 21, 2021

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Jul 21, 2021
  3. qinada Win User
    undo partition shrink

Hi, disk management has limitations on the size of shrinking partition. Also extending partition with Disk Management, you must have unallocated space next to the partition which you need to expand. Otherwise, the button is grayed out.

I suggest you use a third party free disk partition manager to help you to
    extend the partition

qinada, Jul 21, 2021
  4. No option to shrink partition in Disk Management

Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink, the total capacity is the sum of the total plus the free, and not just the total capacity. As such, I cannot shrink this volume without an error. The capacity is about 350GB with the free about 200GB. When I select shrink, the total of the volume shows 550GB instead of 350GB. The correct capacity of 350GB shows correctly on the Disk Management listing and boxes on the initial screen and also under Properties on the File Manager. It is only when selecting the shrink option that it shows 550GB.

Coastalguy, Jul 21, 2021
Thema:

No option to shrink partition in Disk Management

1. No option to shrink partition in Disk Management - Similar Threads - option shrink partition

2. Disk Management - Partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management - Partitions: Descobri que meu SSD de 1Tb diminuiu para 222 Gb.o que posso fazer? Posso juntar os volumes 1 e 3 ao 0 zero? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-management-partitions/8badfd33-7d4f-4f4b-96b6-be7c1d182fb1
  3. Disk Management - Partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management - Partitions: Descobri que meu SSD de 1Tb diminuiu para 222 Gb.o que posso fazer? Posso juntar os volumes 1 e 3 ao 0 zero? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-management-partitions/8badfd33-7d4f-4f4b-96b6-be7c1d182fb1
  4. Disk Management - Partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk Management - Partitioning

Disk Management - Partitioning: Trying to partition my old HD to use for sys image storage for my new SSD. Allocation went fine but problems creating a volume. Using the defaults except for the drive letter when I go to finish I get a warning that I am trying to convert that drive from basic to dynamic and...
  6. Partition manager can't shrink

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Partition manager can't shrink: I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm stumped. I want to shrink my Windows partition, which is 750GB and has over 450GB free. Disk management still says that the partition can be shrunk by 0 bytes. I tried to clear my hard drive as much as possible, but can't remove...
  7. Shrinking/ Extending Bitlockered Partition without Decrypting it using Disk Management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shrinking/ Extending Bitlockered Partition without Decrypting it using Disk Management: I was under the impression I would gave to decrypt my partitions or whole drive first but looks like this is not necessary? submitted by /u/HFSGV [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hkj3s4/shrinking_extending_bitlockered_partition_without/
  8. Shrinking/ Extending Bitlockered Partition without Decrypting it using Disk Management

Shrinking/ Extending Bitlockered Partition without Decrypting it using Disk Management: I was under the impression I would gave to decrypt my partitions or whole drive first but looks like this is not necessary? When I look in DISK MANAGEMENT, the options are not greyed out. Any feedback?...
  9. Extend Partition Option Grayed Out in Disk Management

Extend Partition Option Grayed Out in Disk Management: I just added a solid state drive to my computer, cloned my hard drive and copied everything to my SSD. My old drive has a capacity of 160 GB and my new drive has a capacity of 240 GB. I successfully booted from my new SSD, but for some reason the cloning software left 74 GB...
  10. Disk management fails to shrink volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk management fails to shrink volume: I want to shrink the G: volume but Disk Management shows the following error after the "Querying available shrink space ..." message: "An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then...