Windows 10: No password prompt at login screen. Can not login.

Discus and support No password prompt at login screen. Can not login. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; After I configured to start up the Windows 10 with the safe mode as following method for uninstalling a software, it does not prompt to enter a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by marchinok, Aug 15, 2015.

1. marchinok Win User

No password prompt at login screen. Can not login.

After I configured to start up the Windows 10 with the safe mode as following method for uninstalling a software, it does not prompt to enter a password at login screen anymore.

It was working fine until now.

No password prompt at login screen.  Can not login. [​IMG]

No password prompt at login screen.  Can not login. [​IMG]

I have tried following but no luck.

• Pressed Windows icon + r to launch a run command - No response
    • Pressed the space, enter, and any other buttons to launch a password prompt - No response. *It seemed to accept a keyboard entry. i.e. Caps lock works
    • Tried to start up the Windows 10 using F8 safe mode (I know it does not work for Windows 10 but I tried anyway)
    • Switched the Microsoft account by selecting lower left corner account options - It did switched the account but no password prompt.

As I can not login to the Windows, I am using my second PC to create the post. Please help.

:)

marchinok, Aug 15, 2015

2. No password prompt at login screen. Can not login.

I don't get a login prompt or a mouse cursor, last night it took 2hrs to finally come up. I have a 4.2 i7 with 16gb of Ram and 24tb of hard drive, only started after last update

My Web Design Solution, Aug 15, 2015
  3. No password prompt at login screen. Can not login.

Hey, this is happening to me and i cant find anything to fix it!!! Did you find a solution? I t

kadinlangdon, Aug 15, 2015
  4. No password prompt at login screen. Can not login.

Have you reset System Configuration to normal boot (remove the check from safe mode)?

Try pressing the Ctrl key and just type your password blind - there was a bug in the Preview builds, but I haven't seen it since then.

Slartybart, Aug 16, 2015
  5. marchinok Win User
    Thank you for the advice.

As I can not login, I can not revert the system configuration.

Pressing Ctrl and entering the password did not work. Is there any other option I can try?

Your help is very appreciated.

marchinok, Aug 16, 2015
  6. marchinok Win User
    I was able to resolve the issue.

Pressing shift button and restart took me to the screen where it gave you the option to choose the "Troubleshoot". I clicked on the Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

When it is restarted, it gave me the option to enter the safe mode. After booting the machine with safe mode, it prompted the password to login.

I logged in and uncheck the "safe boot". Now, it prompted to enter password to login.

Thank you for your advice.

marchinok, Aug 16, 2015
  7. Excellent troubleshooting!
    Thanks for posting the solution that worked on your machine.

Slartybart, Aug 16, 2015
  8. No password prompt at login screen. Can not login.

*Eek If you start up the machine to the (missing) logon prompt and switch it OFF (hold down power switch) three (3) times it will start in safe mode, the third time, and you have the same options :

After logon, i got the screen where it gave me the option to choose the "Troubleshoot". I clicked on the Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
    When it is restarted, it gave me the option to enter the safe mode. After booting the machine with safe mode, it prompted the password to login.
    I logged in and uncheck the "safe boot" (in MSCONFIG). After another restart, it prompted to enter password to login.

supportsiden, Oct 19, 2016
  9. IkaroAlef Win User
    Thanks, the switch OFF 3 times method helped me! Thank you

IkaroAlef, Oct 27, 2016
  10. Please help me. I wasnt able to login to my laptop because there's no login prompt, it just blank with display and icon on the bottom left of screen.

mhdzahrawi, Oct 29, 2016
  11. jarome Win User
    In my Parallels VM, this hint worked by pressing the Stop VM option, and on the 4th restart, you get the prompt

jarome, Dec 9, 2016
  12. Thank you for posting this! I was able to finally get into safe mode and fix my PC thanks to your suggestion about powering off windows three times. I've tried the old F8 trick and even the restore disc option prior but none of these worked. I was ready to wipe my computer until I saw your post. Thanks again!

IceDragon66, Dec 9, 2016
  13. No password prompt at login screen. Can not login.

How did you do that switch off 3 times thing,
    as i am unable to get you.
    can you please mention the procedure how to run my pc in safe mode as the restart option is not showing on my laptop login screen and i am unable to boot via F8 key.

dipenhshah, Dec 12, 2016
  14. Yes. I just followed the post by supportsiden. Just hold down your power button for 3 seconds after your PC comes up to the Win10 login. After the PC powers off, boot back up to the windows 10 login and hold down your power button again for 3 seconds. Next time you boot up there should be prompts.

IceDragon66, Dec 12, 2016
  15. Nothing seems to work. My username and password don't show up. Blindly typing it doesn't work. Shift restart doesn't work. Hard restarting three times doesn't work.
    Anything else that may fix it?

Mushibushi, Dec 13, 2016
Thema:

No password prompt at login screen. Can not login.

1. No password prompt at login screen. Can not login. - Similar Threads - password prompt login

2. No password prompt at login screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No password prompt at login screen: Hello, I have a very bad issue with my Acer laptop running on windows 10, i recently signed out on my pc now my login screen doesn't want to show any password prompt and CTRL + ALT + DEL keys doesn't work. In addition any key combinations doesn't work. I've tried so many...
  3. No password prompt at login screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No password prompt at login screen: Hello, I have a very bad issue with my Acer laptop running on windows 10, i recently signed out on my pc now my login screen doesn't want to show any password prompt and CTRL + ALT + DEL keys doesn't work. In addition any key combinations doesn't work. I've tried so many...
  4. No password prompt at login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Logoff/Login password prompt

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Logoff/Login password prompt: I don't require a password to open Windows. In the past, the same was the case when I logged off (not restart) and then logged back in. No password necessary, just hit the button on the logon page to enter Windows. But now, when I log off, I am asked for a password, which...
  6. Logoff/Login password prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Logoff/Login password prompt: I don't require a password to open Windows. In the past, the same was the case when I logged off (not restart) and then logged back in. No password necessary, just hit the button on the logon page to enter Windows. But now, when I log off, I am asked for a password, which...
  7. no password prompt at login screen - windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    no password prompt at login screen - windows 10: no password prompt at login screen - windows 10 - I can't log in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-password-prompt-at-login-screen-windows-10/82cad577-df95-4d93-9d93-a30e53209884
  8. No login prompt at login screen

No login prompt at login screen: As can be seen in the picture, sometimes after locking the computer, unlocking is impossible because there is no where to enter the password and the screen is almost empty but the options on the bottom left. Any way to fix that? [img] 63359
  9. Windows 10 No Password Prompt at Login Screen

Windows 10 No Password Prompt at Login Screen: I'm having trouble with my computer. As of lately, when I boot up my PC, I will get to the normal screen where it will show the time and date. When I do anything to get to the password prompt, such as pressing space, it will show a blank screen with my background image but no...
  10. At startup, no password or login prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    At startup, no password or login prompt: At Windows startup a login prompt with a password box, user account picture or name does not appear. All i see is my screen saver background. I found a temporary fix which is restarting my computer, then and only then can i type in my password to access my computer. The issue...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i can login in safe mode but not normal password prompt missing in logon screen