Windows 10: No password prompt on startup

Discus and support No password prompt on startup in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; After starting Windows 10, there is no password prompt displayed. After holding the power button to restart, I can still access the BIOS setup. Mouse... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by RickyLee1990, Feb 11, 2019.

1. No password prompt on startup

After starting Windows 10, there is no password prompt displayed. After holding the power button to restart, I can still access the BIOS setup. Mouse and keyboard are fully working. However, after trying to restart, everything appears to be booting/loading as normal, but there is no password prompt displayed. The wallpaper and clock show as you would expect, just no password prompt Wallpaper resets if I CTRL-ALT-DEL.

I've tried several methods I've heard online such as restarting 3 times to pull up winRE, but it's not working at all on my PC. Any help would that doesn't result in me reinstalling windows and losing all my programs be greatly appreciated.

:)

RickyLee1990, Feb 11, 2019

2. Windows Startup password

Is it possible to remove a startup password without being able to log into the system? A friend's laptop just prompt her today for a password that she never enabled. Now, she does have a standard user account password, but that doesn't work for the startup password. She had the computer for about a year now and it has never asked for a startup password until today.

I tried to use Hiren Boot CD to run a diagnostic on the laptop, but it has a bsod. Windows 10 normal boot crashes as well

GoFigureItOut, Feb 11, 2019
  3. At startup, no password or login prompt

At Windows startup a login prompt with a password box, user account picture or name does not appear. All i see is my screen saver background. I found a temporary fix which is restarting my computer, then and only then can i type in my password to access my computer. The issue also happens if i put it to sleep, or hibernate, also have to restart computer. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Stranded360, Feb 11, 2019
  4. f14tomcat Win User

No password prompt on startup

At startup, no password or login prompt

@Stranded360

It may be an issue with Fast Startup. At an Admin command prompt, type (copy/paste this), and press enter.

powercfg -h off

Reboot.

This will turn off Fast Startup and disable hibernation. You will still be able to Sleep the machine.

Without more info, this is just a good guess since there are issues with Fast Startup and logon, etc.

You can reverse this by powercfg -h on

Worth a shot.

f14tomcat, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

No password prompt on startup

1. No password prompt on startup - Similar Threads - password prompt startup

2. How to remove Windows startup PIN/password prompts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove Windows startup PIN/password prompts?: This should be simple, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove the PIN/password prompt that appears when I start my computer. I've read several other Microsoft advisories, and tried them all - to no avail. In fact, my efforts have made things worse. At this...
  3. How to remove Windows startup PIN/password prompts?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove Windows startup PIN/password prompts?: This should be simple, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove the PIN/password prompt that appears when I start my computer. I've read several other Microsoft advisories, and tried them all - to no avail. In fact, my efforts have made things worse. At this...
  4. How to remove Windows startup PIN/password prompts?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. UAC Password Prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC Password Prompt: Hello!Now, in my system, when i try to modify it or run an program with administrative rights, it only shows an Yes or No prompt. I want to make it prompt asking for the user password.Is it possible?...
  6. How to disable Password prompt on Startup in Windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable Password prompt on Startup in Windows 10?: I know there are tones of similar threads on this forum, but I seem to have not got the same option box of "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." on the netplwiz UI. Any solutions? [ATTACH]...
  7. No password prompt box

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No password prompt box: I've tried all the usual options; some from others in the Microsoft community. Is it likely to be due to a failed update? Can anyone help? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-password-prompt-box/3bbcac38-211f-4546-80b6-a4ba204901b2
  8. Prompt Password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prompt Password: Hi, I have 3 email accounts linked to Mail App for windows 10 I would like them to prompt me for password when opening as I need them to be secure for work How do I get them to do this Thanks Elise...
  9. Password prompts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Password prompts: When I am in the password settings for Gmail, and I want to view passwords for websites that have been stored, windows always prompts me for my windows login and password before I can view the passwords for the websites. How can I disable that feature? I am using windows 10...
  10. At startup, no password or login prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    At startup, no password or login prompt: At Windows startup a login prompt with a password box, user account picture or name does not appear. All i see is my screen saver background. I found a temporary fix which is restarting my computer, then and only then can i type in my password to access my computer. The issue...