Windows 10: No permission to change hosts file ?

Discus and support No permission to change hosts file ? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have changed from W7 to W10 but find that although I am logged in as the administrator, I am unable to save any changes to my hosts file and get the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by FredM8, Nov 14, 2015.

1. FredM8 Win User

No permission to change hosts file ?

I have changed from W7 to W10 but find that although I am logged in as the administrator, I am unable to save any changes to my hosts file and get the message that I don't have accees/permission and should contact the administrator.
    Can anyone advise me as to what's going on ?

:)

FredM8, Nov 14, 2015
  2. JLastar Win User

I cant read or change the hosts file

I have a program that requires a different host file (windows/sys32/drivers/etc/hosts)

I seem to have all the permissions but I'm unable to read or change the hosts file. I get the msg that I have to have an administrators permission. And then I get a msg that I can't change anything even with an administrators permission.

I really don't want to have to reinstall windows for a couple of reasons, first it's a lot of work and second I don't know if it will work after I do a reinstall.

I'm unable to read the host file in notepad as an administrator. When I open Notepad as an administrator and try and open the file I don't get anything. When I open notepad as an administrator and drag hosts to it I get the msg that I need administrators
    permission.

Is there some way that I can just delete the hosts file or make some changes.

When I go to the etc folder and try and give permisions I get the following error -

c:\\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts Filed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

Any help would be appreciated.

JLastar, Nov 14, 2015
  3. JLastar Win User
    I cant read or change the hosts file

I'm totally unable to edit the hosts file. I have permissions to do everything but when I try and do anything with the hosts file I get an error.

When I go to hosts and try and change the current I get the following error. You do not have permission to view this object's security properties, even as and administrative user. To try taking ownershiop of the object, which includes permission to view
    properties, click change above.

When I do that I'm back to the same screen.

JLastar, Nov 14, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Option 1:

• Click on Start ->All Apps->Windows Accessories then right click on Notepad->Run As Admin.
    • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc. Click on All Files to see hosts then open
    Option 2:
    Download: Hosts File Editor - Amazify then right click and run as Admin

topgundcp, Nov 14, 2015
  5. FredM8 Win User
    Thank you, all done !
    Situation sorted

FredM8, Nov 14, 2015
  6. Almighty1 Win User
    Even in Win7, hosts file is read only by default, you have to unclick the read only, edit it, then add the read only back.

Almighty1, Nov 15, 2015
  7. loris Win User
    Another solution is copy the hosts file to your desktop for editing. When done, copy the modified hosts file back to the directory C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc for overwriting the original one.

loris, Nov 16, 2015
  8. xamrab1 Win User

Tried this and the hosts file reverted back to the default. Originally, it worked for about 6 months and then reverted back to the default hosts file. In the end I did copy to the Desktop but after the change I changed the permission to READ only.

xamrab1, Jan 10, 2016
  9. pbdrmmr Win User
    I used Option 1. Worked just as it should. You've saved me from all the frustration I felt. Ahhhhhh!

pbdrmmr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No permission to change hosts file ? - Similar Threads - permission change hosts

2. Permission settings hosts file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permission settings hosts file: Hi all,Can anyone tell me what the default permissions are for the windows hosts file.I am talking about:1 ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES2 ALL RESTRICTED PACKAGES3 Users device name\UsersI have 1 set to:Read & executeRead2 is set to:Read & executeRead3 is set to:Read & executeReadI...
  3. Permission settings hosts file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permission settings hosts file: Hi all,Can anyone tell me what the default permissions are for the windows hosts file.I am talking about:1 ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES2 ALL RESTRICTED PACKAGES3 Users device name\UsersI have 1 set to:Read & executeRead2 is set to:Read & executeRead3 is set to:Read & executeReadI...
  4. Permission settings hosts file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Change permissions for mutiple document files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change permissions for mutiple document files: Dear all!!My Win 10 Laptop has just been assaulted by a ransomware virus that encrypted all my files to the filename extension ".WNCRY.aawt", all but the document files .doc .txt. docx.Of the latter, I can only access their content if I change the file permissions, which have...
  6. Changed Hosts File?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed Hosts File?: I've had Kerish Doctor https://www.kerish.org/en-us/ for a week or so and today I this this message. What should I do about it? Allow or Discard? I clicked Details and ses the empty screen on the left.For some reason I can't post any replies to my threads on this forum, I can...
  7. Changed Hosts File?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed Hosts File?: I've had Kerish Doctor https://www.kerish.org/en-us/ for a week or so and today I this this message. What should I do about it? Allow or Discard? I clicked Details and ses the empty screen on the left.For some reason I can't post any replies to my threads on this forum, I can...
  8. Changed Hosts File?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Change permission for multiple files at once

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change permission for multiple files at once: Currently I have a folder for Google Drive with all my cloud files downloaded to it. Google Drive, however, always reverts my custom icons to the default ones for some reason. The solution I found was to give all desktop.ini files inside the folders read permission only, that...
  10. Change Multiple File Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Multiple File Permissions: I am trying to delete a folder on my external hard drive and there are about 300 sub folders in the one folder. I want to change the permission of ALL of the folders so I can delete them all at once but it is only letting me change one folder permission at a time. When I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change hosts file without permission

2. how can i give permission to change host file

3. changes hosts file windows permissions

4. permission system for change hosts file,
  5. permission for hosts file windows