Windows 10: no permission to see some files in my external derive

Discus and support no permission to see some files in my external derive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Starting a week or two ago I get a message you do not have permission to open these files. Click to get access permanently. This usually works and I do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by P. A. Ferchmin, Feb 15, 2019.

1. no permission to see some files in my external derive

Starting a week or two ago I get a message you do not have permission to open these files. Click to get access permanently. This usually works and I do get access but next day I get a similar comedy.

I own a computer and use external drives to carry work from home office to the computer at work.

I never requested any security or have need of permission to use my private computer with my private external disk.

Then I take this disk to my work and again the same “you do not have permission”.

How to avoid that.

Today it just did not allow me to work at all with a folder.

So, Microsoft protects me from “some unidentified” danger but who will protect me against Microsoft blocking access to my external drive?

:)

P. A. Ferchmin, Feb 15, 2019

2. ERROR 0x80004005 while transfering file to external HDD

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to know what exactly does that mean when you say you make changes to the properties.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to check if the file that you are trying to copy has the appropriate permission to move or access it.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you are able to take the full control of the folder or files.

• Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user
      names
      , click your name to see the permissions you have.
    • The permissions for the selected user or group are shown in the lower portion of the properties dialog box.
    • Assign yourself “Full control” permission by checking the box for “Allow” for Full Control and check if you can access the drive.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to download the latest driver for the external hard drive from the manufacturer website and check if that helps.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Feb 15, 2019
  3. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Feb 15, 2019
  4. Pavan_N Win User

no permission to see some files in my external derive

You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file

Hi,

Follow the Steps below and check if that helps.

As you are unable to transfer some files from an external hard drive to the computer requesting for Administrator permissions, I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to provide administrator permissions to the particular folder and check if it
    helps.

• Right click on the folder and select
      Properties.
    • Click on Edit button in Properties windows. Click ok to confirm UAC elevation request.
    • Select user/group from permission windows or click
      Add to add other user or group.
    • Now under Permission section check the rights which you want to grant i.e. check “Full Control” under the “Allow” column to assign full access rights control permissions. (Generally we add ‘Everyone’ to given permission to all
      the users on the computer).
    • Edit the permission to Full Control for ‘Everyone’.
    • Click OK for changes to take effect and click ok again to exit from Properties window.

Do let us know if you are able to transfer files to PC. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 15, 2019
Thema:

no permission to see some files in my external derive

1. no permission to see some files in my external derive - Similar Threads - permission files external

2. The word Microsoft derived

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The word Microsoft derived: How to retrieve my cursor I have Acer laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-word-microsoft-derived/b474bc32-88d1-4df6-94f2-45b05c6a45b3
  3. The word Microsoft derived

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The word Microsoft derived: How to retrieve my cursor I have Acer laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-word-microsoft-derived/b474bc32-88d1-4df6-94f2-45b05c6a45b3
  4. The word Microsoft derived

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. External HD with locked files/permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HD with locked files/permissions: Hey guys, how are you? I recently formatted my computer and I'm having a problem with an External HD that has a lot of my personal files photos, videos, etc. After formatting the computer I kept it on Windows 10 and properly installing all the drivers, for some reason all the...
  6. External HD with locked files/permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HD with locked files/permissions: Hey guys, how are you? I recently formatted my computer and I'm having a problem with an External HD that has a lot of my personal files photos, videos, etc. After formatting the computer I kept it on Windows 10 and properly installing all the drivers, for some reason all the...
  7. External HD with locked files/permissions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Seeing these random blue patterns on some backgrounds on my external display after...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Seeing these random blue patterns on some backgrounds on my external display after...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/pratnala [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gr542l/seeing_these_random_blue_patterns_on_some/
  9. Can't see external drives in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't see external drives in File Explorer: I have 3 external disks and none of them are recognised when I plug them in, the usb ports are ok as I can plug any usb drives and use them with no issues. I have used these 3 drives with no problems in the past. I think a Windows 10 update has caused some issues? Please...
  10. Can't open some files in Onedrive folder (You don't have permission to open this file. See...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open some files in Onedrive folder (You don't have permission to open this file. See...: Hello, today i've noticed that i don't have permission to open some files on my onedrive folder. When i try to open them i notepad it says: "You don't have permission to open this file. See the owner of this file or an administrator to obtain permission". When i make copy...