Windows 10: No Preview Available When selecting a folder that has a FOLDER.jpg

Discus and support No Preview Available When selecting a folder that has a FOLDER.jpg in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; No Preview Available When selecting a folder that has a FOLDER.jpg When looking at a list, or detail view of folders in explorer, and the preview... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SP1200, Mar 26, 2018.

1. SP1200 Win User

No Preview Available When selecting a folder that has a FOLDER.jpg

When looking at a list, or detail view of folders in explorer, and the preview pane is open on the side...why does win 10 not show a preview of the folder contents or the Folder.jpg file?

Is this a setting issue? or is win 10 just not set up for that?

:)

SP1200, Mar 26, 2018

2. Registry tweak for 'Folder' image

Hi Ric, Sure.

Using CLI

Open your folder which contains the mp3 files and the (hidden) folder.jpg.

From the File menu, click Open command prompt.

Type:

icacls folder.jpg /inheritance:r

Then type:

icacls folder.jpg /grant BUILTIN\UsersNo Preview Available When selecting a folder that has a FOLDER.jpg :(R)

You'll see the following message for each command typed.

processed file: folder.jpg

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

via User Interface

To do this via Permissions dialog:

Configure Explorer to Show all files, and unhide Protected Operating System files (in Folder Options > View tab), because folder.jpg may be super-hidden.

Right-click folder.jpg, click Properties, Security

Click "Advanced".

Click "Disable inheritance"

Click "Remove all inherited permissions from this object."

Click Add, click "Select a principal"

Type "Users", and press ENTER

Enable the "Read" checkbox and uncheck all others.

Click OK, OK, OK.

You're done. All inheritance removed, and Users group have Read access for this file... meaning Explorer will still read it during thumbnail generation.. But nothing can overwrite this file.

Also, see: Folder Thumbnails Appear With White Border in Windows 10

Note: If you have any additional/explicit Permissions set for this file, you may need to remove them all first. Otherwise, WMP might still write to folder.jpg.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 26, 2018
  3. Registry tweak for 'Folder' image

And, this Permission settings seems to work fine.. WMP is unable to update folder.jpg even when I explicitly clicked the "Update album info" right-click menu option.

icacls folder.jpg /inheritance:r

icacls folder.jpg /grant BUILTIN\UsersNo Preview Available When selecting a folder that has a FOLDER.jpg :(R)

1. Remove inherited Permissions for folder.jpg

2. Assign Users group "Read" access for folder.jpg so that Explorer shows the thumb correctly.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 26, 2018
Thema:

1. No Preview Available When selecting a folder that has a FOLDER.jpg - Similar Threads - Preview Available selecting

2. When I select one folder to open all the folders above it are selected from the beginning...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I select one folder to open all the folders above it are selected from the beginning...: Recently I've come across a weird problem in which my folders in 'This PC' are automatically getting selected and when I try to open any drive Drive D for example, I end up opening all the folders that were selected automatically. Not just this, Other softwares too are...
  3. When I select one folder to open all the folders above it are selected from the beginning...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I select one folder to open all the folders above it are selected from the beginning...: Recently I've come across a weird problem in which my folders in 'This PC' are automatically getting selected and when I try to open any drive Drive D for example, I end up opening all the folders that were selected automatically. Not just this, Other softwares too are...
  4. When I select one folder to open all the folders above it are selected from the beginning...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to ungroup folders in folder preview

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to ungroup folders in folder preview: I am not talking about inside the folders, I understand how to do that. I am talking about when I have multiple folders open and hover the mouse over the stack of folders and it gives me a 'folder group' that looks as if it's another open folder. Sometimes it will include my...
  6. How to ungroup folders in folder preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to ungroup folders in folder preview: I am not talking about inside the folders, I understand how to do that. I am talking about when I have multiple folders open and hover the mouse over the stack of folders and it gives me a 'folder group' that looks as if it's another open folder. Sometimes it will include my...
  7. Change folder to open when selecting folder in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change folder to open when selecting folder in start menu: [ATTACH] This might sound like a weird one, but essentially the Documents folder on Windows is a mess, so I have my own "Documents" folder created elsewhere, and I'd like to change which folder opens when selecting this option in the Start Menu. Is this possible through...
  8. Windows selects multiple folders on selecting single folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows selects multiple folders on selecting single folder: Windows selects multiple files/folders when tapping a single file/folder and when I try to open that file ,windows explorer opens all the files in multiple windows....and it's very annoying.. can't do anything with the laptop and some issues with the keyboard occurs when this...
  9. Folder previews

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder previews: Windows did a big update. There is no preview pane when I click a picture in a folder, How do I get that back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-previews/3f906460-a799-4d8e-b5ab-d469b53f523a"
  10. Right Click JPG File In Folder To See Preview in Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Click JPG File In Folder To See Preview in Explorer?: All my folders are in details view which is how I like it. My photo or picture default viewer is Farstone Viewer and I like this as well and do not wish to change. However when I right click a JPG file in folder view I want to see a preview of that picture open up to the...