Windows 10: No Preview on Icon

Discus and support No Preview on Icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. I cannot get my picture icons to show previews of the pictures. They only show a generic blue icon. I've gone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LocationDudeNYC, Mar 24, 2018.

1. No Preview on Icon

I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. I cannot get my picture icons to show previews of the pictures. They only show a generic blue icon. I've gone into view settings and the box to show previews is checked but they will not preview. Nothing will work. Can someone please help. It's a nightmare trying to find photos.

:)

LocationDudeNYC, Mar 24, 2018
  2. Riel Alc Win User

File Explorer Bug. No Icon Preview. Layout disabled on View menu

Hi,

For us to better assist you with your File Explorer issue, we'd like to know if you've installed any Windows updates prior to this issue (e.g. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update)?

For us to troubleshoot the issue, we suggest booting your computer in safe mode.

Note: Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Mar 24, 2018
  3. gteeb Win User
    File Explorer Bug. No Icon Preview. Layout disabled on View menu

I've just encountered a couple of error with File Explorer that I suspect are related.

1. When I look at the contents of any any folder all the icons are just a plain white document icon regardless of the type of file. If I look at the directory trees on the left hand side the only icons that have retained their correct image are the special
    Windows folders like Desktop or Documents. If I double-click on a file it knows which application to use to open it so somewhere under the hood Windows understands the type of file it is.

2. If I go to the ribbon bar and click on the View menu every Layout option appears disabled except for the current default option for that specific folder. e.g. on one folder they were all disabled except for Large Icons which has black text. I went to
    a different folder that I normally use a Detail view with and on that one the Detail view is the only enabled option, the files are laid out

gteeb, Mar 24, 2018
  4. davidhk Win User

No Preview on Icon

I am not sure which "view settings" you were referring to.
    However, have you tried this ? ..........................

Open your Pictures folder > click View at top > extreme right side of the ribbon, click Options > click Change folder and search options (screenshot #1) >
    Next screen, click View at top > make sure to UN-check the box "Always show icons never thumbnails" > Apply/OK.(screenshot #2)

screenshot #1.......

No Preview on Icon [​IMG]

screenshot #2 .......

No Preview on Icon [​IMG]

davidhk, Mar 24, 2018
  5. Well, I was doing that totally a** backwards! Thanks!

LocationDudeNYC, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

No Preview on Icon

1. No Preview on Icon - Similar Threads - Preview Icon

2. Bizarre Thumbnail Preview Icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bizarre Thumbnail Preview Icon: I recently noticed that, when using Windows' File Explorer, the preview thumbnails for PDF's and word documents on my computer have changed. In the bottom right corner of the preview thumbnail there is a new icon. There is either a black box or a minesweeper icon, depending...
  3. Bizarre Thumbnail Preview Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bizarre Thumbnail Preview Icon: I recently noticed that, when using Windows' File Explorer, the preview thumbnails for PDF's and word documents on my computer have changed. In the bottom right corner of the preview thumbnail there is a new icon. There is either a black box or a minesweeper icon, depending...
  4. Bizarre Thumbnail Preview Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I have certain icons show previews and not others?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I have certain icons show previews and not others?: Hi, this is CHrles from Web Host Pro again.We have an icon preview set on our Windows 10 computers but some of the preview icons like NotePad look messy. However, being able to preview images is very helpful.Can we disable icon preview on certain file types, but keep icon...
  6. Can I have certain icons show previews and not others?

Can I have certain icons show previews and not others?: Hi, this is CHrles from Web Host Pro again.We have an icon preview set on our Windows 10 computers but some of the preview icons like NotePad look messy. However, being able to preview images is very helpful.Can we disable icon preview on certain file types, but keep icon...
  7. Can I have certain icons show previews and not others?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Copilot in Windows preview Icon disapears during startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copilot in Windows preview Icon disapears during startup.: To,Microsoft CommunityHey Friend this is Gavin & using Latest Windows 11, 23H2 OS."Copilot in Windows preview" Icon disapears in Taskbar when I start My Laptop. But when I try to re-start My Laptop then "Copilot in Windows preview" Icon appears on the Taskbar right side as...
  9. Copilot in Windows preview Icon disapears during startup.

Copilot in Windows preview Icon disapears during startup.: To,Microsoft CommunityHey Friend this is Gavin & using Latest Windows 11, 23H2 OS."Copilot in Windows preview" Icon disapears in Taskbar when I start My Laptop. But when I try to re-start My Laptop then "Copilot in Windows preview" Icon appears on the Taskbar right side as...
  10. Windows Explorer hangs and crashes previewing SVG files, eg. preview / tiles / icon view is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer hangs and crashes previewing SVG files, eg. preview / tiles / icon view is...: - This occurs on both of my laptops.- Both of my laptops have Windows 11 Home, Powertoys 76.2 but issue also with the previous versions of Powertoys- This only started AFTER allowing the most recent set of Windows 11 Home updates which I held off on for a couple months until...