Windows 10: No Private/Public switch for Ethernet connection

Discus and support No Private/Public switch for Ethernet connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Where is the Public/Private switch has gone for Ethernet connection? I need to switch my ethernet connection from public to private. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by vozmen, Feb 11, 2020.

1. vozmen Win User

No Private/Public switch for Ethernet connection

Hello,

Where is the Public/Private switch has gone for Ethernet connection?

I need to switch my ethernet connection from public to private. I have connected two PCs using ethernet cross-over cable

Thanks

Windows 10 Pro

No Private/Public switch for Ethernet connection 062fed3b-6027-4765-b3b2-3d26d88e4afa?upload=true.png

:)

vozmen, Feb 11, 2020

2. Missing option to switch from public to private network

Hello,

I am facing an issue to activate the connection to my LAN after an update of Windows 10.

The situation is the following:

- the connection options for both ethernet connection and wifi connection do not include anymore the option to switch to a private network.

- this implies that the router cannot see my PC and therefore is not getting an IP address and a gateway

- I have tried already to disable and enable the Ethernet driver,

- uninstall and reinstall the drivers, also using more update ones

- force a hard switch from public to private network through powershell commands

None of these actions are solving the problem.

I have not set a restore point and the "solve" options embedded in Windows 10 do not help (including restoring the connection).

I am still getting the message of non identified network, even if I succeeded in having the network appearing as "private" and not "public" as before.

Still no switch public/private appears in the menu.

What do you suggest?

Thank you

Marco

Marco Baccaglio, Feb 11, 2020
  3. Network - Public or Private

I want to change an ethernet network from public to private. In version 1703 this could be done by Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet, then click on "connected" to get a page with the Metered Connection on/off switch and on that screen you could change
    a network from Public to Private or visa-versa. In version 1709 that option is not on that screen and I can't find it anywhere else.

Does anyone know how to change an ethernet from public to private or v-v in Win 10 version 1709?

SaulSilver, Feb 11, 2020
  4. matake Win User

configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private

Hello,

I have two network adapters in Windows 10 one wifi for connecting to internet and one Ethernet for local network.
    I need to configure wifi adapter to public network and Ethernet to private network but i can't.

Inverse it work ( wifi to private and Ethernet to public ) but I don't need that.
    (only wifi adapter have option to be discoverable by others pd in Network Settings -> advanced options )

I need to share files by Ethernet AND NOT by wifi.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

matake, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

1. No Private/Public switch for Ethernet connection - Similar Threads - Private Public switch

2. How do a change an ethernet connection ffrom public to private?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do a change an ethernet connection ffrom public to private?: How do a change an ethernet connection ffrom public to private? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-a-change-an-ethernet-connection-ffrom/40af81b9-48a1-40bd-a16e-712ad9897f4a
  3. How do a change an ethernet connection ffrom public to private?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do a change an ethernet connection ffrom public to private?: How do a change an ethernet connection ffrom public to private? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-a-change-an-ethernet-connection-ffrom/40af81b9-48a1-40bd-a16e-712ad9897f4a
  4. Public/Private WiFi Connections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public/Private WiFi Connections: Hi,Just setting up Windows 11 for the first time and the public vs private seems back to front with the description and recommendation.Am I missing something??...
  5. Public/Private WiFi Connections

Public/Private WiFi Connections: Hi,Just setting up Windows 11 for the first time and the public vs private seems back to front with the description and recommendation.Am I missing something??...
  6. Private or Public Connection Required?

Private or Public Connection Required?: I have a desktop computer with Windows 10 which is for personal use only and no-one uses it but myself. I noticed on my connection to broadband fibre it showed `public connection`. I tried to change it to private but it has not changed. Can anyone please explain this to me...
  7. Private or Public Connection Required?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Private or Public Connection Required?: I have a desktop computer with Windows 10 which is for personal use only and no-one uses it but myself. I noticed on my connection to broadband fibre it showed `public connection`. I tried to change it to private but it has not changed. Can anyone please explain this to me...
  8. Network Switching from Private to Public

Network Switching from Private to Public: Hi folksI was on my husband's laptop to change a sound setting for him and while I was checking that other stuff was working ok, I found that the network was on Public instead of Private, which is where I had it set for him the last time I did maintenance for him, months...
  9. sleep switches ethernet connection to public!!!

sleep switches ethernet connection to public!!!: Every time the computer goes to "sleep" and I wake it up, the ethernet connection gets changed to "public" instead of "private" so the internet connection will not connect. If I run the homegroup trouble shooter, the setting gets changed back to private and the internet...
  10. Private and Public Network Connections

Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...