Windows 10: No program associated with folders (Cannot double click to open)

Discus and support No program associated with folders (Cannot double click to open) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there folks. I'm pretty new to the forum side of things, (or at least this forum, that is) so I'll cut right to the chase! Recently, after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chuckmoss, Mar 17, 2017.

1. chuckmoss Win User

No program associated with folders (Cannot double click to open)

Hi there folks. I'm pretty new to the forum side of things, (or at least this forum, that is) so I'll cut right to the chase!

Recently, after performing a windows update I've become unable to open folders and drives, regardless of their location (desktop, etc) by means of a double click. I have found that I am able to right click and open; however, as you can probably understand, this is definitely not fun.

Here's the precise error message I receive.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[Window Title]C:\Users\Charles\Desktop\desktop clutter[Content]This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.[OK]

:)

chuckmoss, Mar 17, 2017

2. Folders not opening & cannot create new folders in Win 10

I still can't create new folders. It fixed it so I can double click a folder and it opens normally without getting a message about not having a program associated with this file type. The zip obviously corrected the association issue but it didn't restore
    my ability to create a new folder. I must admit the zip didn't fix every program association but got the primary ones. At least, I can use my computer without stopping every time I double click a icon! Thanks to whomever created the zip.

kkoooiuuuyynhnmmk, Mar 17, 2017
  3. When I double click on my C Drive i get following message

This file doesnot have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control Panel.

When I Right click and open it works but I have a problem on doubleclick. every other folders open on double click only drive c doesnot work. help me please

RyanShrestha, Mar 17, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello @chuckmoss, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you like, you could download and merge the .reg files for the listed Folder, Drive, and Directory items in the table of Option Two in the tutorial below. It will restore the default association and registry entries for these items, and hopefully will fix this for you.

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10

Brink, Mar 17, 2017
  5. chuckmoss Win User
    That worked! Thanks so much. Gonna go make a system restore point now, haha.

chuckmoss, Mar 17, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No program associated with folders (Cannot double click to open) - Similar Threads - program associated folders

2. Double click on taskbar programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double click on taskbar programs: Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to double click the programs on the taskbar to start them because sometimes, especially now that the intention with Windows 11 is to put programs on the taskbar, I click next to them causing me to accidentally start a heavy program....
  3. Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".: When I open any folders, it opens "this PC". When I try win+r and type "control", it opens "this PC". Clicking folders on the "Navigation pane" works correctly. I tried anti-virus software, but it didn't find anything suspicious. I tried to log in with another local user...
  4. Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".: When I open any folders, it opens "this PC". When I try win+r and type "control", it opens "this PC". Clicking folders on the "Navigation pane" works correctly. I tried anti-virus software, but it didn't find anything suspicious. I tried to log in with another local user...
  5. Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Double click on the folder is not opening it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Double click on the folder is not opening it: Folder on this location is not opening on double-click: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans What to do? Goran https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-on-the-folder-is-not-opening-it/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a
  7. Double click doesn't open files associated with apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Double click doesn't open files associated with apps: Cannot figure out what has happened. I have Win 10 Pro ver 2004 OS-19041.685. A simple text file .txt will not open with Notepad after a double-click. I have to start Notepad, browse the file, and first then it can be opened. The same problem occurs with other associated...
  8. Double-clicking opens folders but not files

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-clicking opens folders but not files: When I double-click on a folder, the folder opens. Good. But when I double-click on a file or document for the first time, it doesn't open (i.e., it doesn't launch the application to read that file). Instead, the filename is shaded and there's a box around the filename as if...
  9. [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click

in Windows 10 Support
    [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click: Recently, an issue arised in which I can't open file folders with double click. The spinning wheel cursor shows up for a split second but nothing happens. I have to open context menu and choose Open to access the folder. I noticed I can't open folders within Chrome download...
  10. Double click folder opens new folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Double click folder opens new folder: I have a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro and for some reason when I double click a folder, it opens a new folder. Also the the folders that show in the left side pane, if I click on eg music, it opens a new folder. I have 2 drives and when I open a folder from each and...