Windows 10: No program will open- shows on taskbar but will not open

Discus and support No program will open- shows on taskbar but will not open in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; No program will open- shows on taskbar but will not open. I have run all the trouble shooters but no problems can be detected. BUT there IS a BIG... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mdscott, Aug 17, 2020.

1. mdscott Win User

No program will open- shows on taskbar but will not open

No program will open- shows on taskbar but will not open. I have run all the trouble shooters but no problems can be detected. BUT there IS a BIG problem!!!

:)

mdscott, Aug 17, 2020
  2. Frick Win User

Remove (open) programs from taskbar

Hey all!

Ok, so some programs I have running all the time, like Spotify and Outlook. They are actually pretty much open all the time as I finally got around to plug in the second monitor. So it feels like a waste of taskbar space to actually have them be there, especially as I have them ready at hand in the notification area.

It seems almost no programs can do this on their own, so does anyone know of anyway that this can be done?

Thanks for looking!

/Frick

EDIT: I know Outlook since 2003 have the option to "Hide when minimized", and that's good and all, but it's still in the taskbar when it's up and running.

Frick, Aug 17, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Remove (open) programs from taskbar

I'd just get a program called Ultramon. It puts a second taskbar on the second monitor, so if you have something up and running on the second monitor at all times it is displayed on that taskbar. It doesn't do exactly what you want, but it does solve the problem of wasted taskbar space.

newtekie1, Aug 17, 2020
  4. No program will open- shows on taskbar but will not open

How to OPEN Programs in Taskbar Preview WITHOUT Clicking ??

@Triliuner I'm sorry to hear it's not as simple as that.

When you have multiple windows opened from a single application e.g. 2 separate windows from Chrome, do they show up as previews when you hover over Chrome's icon in the taskbar, or as a list? Just asking to clarify that, they are at least showing as previews. If not, this should help: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

As for the different windows not showing when you hover your mouse over a preview, maybe it has something to do with the delay, see here: Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials (restoring the default value)

I hope that helps, if not, maybe others can suggest some other things to try..

TheDeerDude, Aug 17, 2020
Thema:

No program will open- shows on taskbar but will not open

1. No program will open- shows on taskbar but will not open - Similar Threads - program open shows

2. Taskbar not showing when any program is open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar not showing when any program is open: My computer did an update last night and now today when I open any program, the taskbar hides and all the icons look larger. How can I make it so the taskbar doesn't hide?...
  3. Taskbar not showing when any program is open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar not showing when any program is open: My computer did an update last night and now today when I open any program, the taskbar hides and all the icons look larger. How can I make it so the taskbar doesn't hide?...
  4. Open programs in taskbar only show names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open programs in taskbar only show names: Previously, when I hover my mouse over the icon of an open program in taskbar, it shows the process above it. Nowadays, it only shows the name. I have selected "Always, hide labels" in "Combine taskbar buttons" in Settings and it still occurs. Please help me....
  5. Open programs in taskbar only show names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open programs in taskbar only show names: Previously, when I hover my mouse over the icon of an open program in taskbar, it shows the process above it. Nowadays, it only shows the name. I have selected "Always, hide labels" in "Combine taskbar buttons" in Settings and it still occurs. Please help me....
  6. Open programs in taskbar only show names

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Programs Not Opening from Taskbar

Programs Not Opening from Taskbar: I can click on the programs on the taskbar and they do not open up on the desktop but if I hover the mouse over the taskbar they have in fact opened up but just not to the main screen. I have tried right mouse clicking to choose Restore or Maximise and nothing happens. They...
  8. Taskbar shows opened program icons as Blank Spaces

Taskbar shows opened program icons as Blank Spaces: Hi, After the last windows update called "Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2" I have this issue. When I open some programs/Apps, task bar is not showing the related icon. Instead, a blank space appear in the task bar. This happened after the windows updates and I...
  9. Taskbar not showing open programs and pinned icons missing

Taskbar not showing open programs and pinned icons missing: Hi All of a sudden, my pinned programmes are no longer showing on my taskbar in Windows 10. The icons are also not showing for programmes currently open so I can't right click to pin. Why has this changed, and how do I revert it back to being able to see programmes on the...
  10. open program icons in taskbar

open program icons in taskbar: Windows has always let me toggle between open windows by either clicking on the item in the taskbar or on the window itself (for example, when I'm going back and forth between Excel and Chrome). But now the Chrome button is the only icon that brings its window to the...