Windows 10: No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.

Discus and support No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey fellas, Moving forward from this thread.....(just for reference.....Help with SSD boot drive change) Single boot drive MBR was cloned with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dsa44, Jan 27, 2021.

1. dsa44 Win User

No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.

Hey fellas,
    Moving forward from this thread.....(just for reference.....Help with SSD boot drive change)

Single boot drive MBR was cloned with Macrium to larger ssd and removed smaller ssd. Windows booted fine.
    MBR2GPT converted the new drive, but gave the message...."Failed to update ReAgent.xml...manually disable and enable WinRE"
    Bios set to boot uefi. All seemed good with windows booting fine.
    I followed up on the WinRE and ran in elevated command prompt...
    Reagentc //info
    Reagentc /disable
    Reagentc /enable
    So that seems fine. Here is a screen capture after re-running Reagentc /info

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.746]
    (c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /info
    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
    Information:
    Windows RE status: Enabled
    Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition1\Recovery\WindowsRE
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 7d4f223f-602f-11eb-831f-244bfe9a6531
    Recovery image location:
    Recovery image index: 0
    Custom image location:
    Custom image index: 0
    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

So that now seems fine. And indeed there are a bunch of hidden folders on the c:/ root like $WinREAgent, etc.

In Disk Manager, I now see an unallocated partition, which should be the "Recovery Partition".

No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT. [​IMG]

Do I need to worry about this? Reset it somehow to "recovery partition"? Reclaim the unused space somehow? Move somehow the hidden WinRE environment to this partition?
    Original drive is still intact, and no changes to new drive other than web browsing so I could do it all over if there is something I missed first time around.
    Thanks all.

:)

dsa44, Jan 27, 2021

2. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Jan 27, 2021
  3. g geek Win User
    clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

My HP Vista laptop took a swim and died. I pulled the 320MB HD, put it in an external enclosure and found it still good. Bought a new Dell Win 10 machine w/ 1TB HD. Plan was to:

• Partition off a piece of the new 1TB w/ native Win10 Disk Management.

• Clone the 320MB Vista drive into the new partition w/ Easeus Partition Manager.

• Run Paragon-adaptive-restore on the Vista partition.

• Set up as dual-boot Win10 / Vista.
    Ran into problems right away. Apparently can't clone the MBR HD to a GPT partition and have it remain bootable. Don't see a way to do this without wiping the new Dell 1TB clean – which I'm hesitant to do, especially since I'm about 6000 miles from
    home right now.

• What's the solution to cloning the MBR drive to a bootable GPT partition?

• Am I on the right track? I really want to preserve this Vista installation - I have 30+ years of data in legacy programs on it that would be very difficult to access in Win10.
    TIA

g geek, Jan 27, 2021
  4. g geek Win User

clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

I think in 1.) you're giving me details on how to wipe out my Win10 drive, which doesn't help.

It sounds like I CAN clone a bootable MBR into a GPT drive partition if I start off with a completely empty drive. So if I go buy a fresh 1TB drive and clone the MBR drive into it first (partitioning as GPT) then I'll be able to clone the Win10 into it
    and have a dual-bootable system?

I'm also intrigued by your 2.) answer although it was short on details. I'll go search about "virtual machines" and see if I can get there that way.

g geek, Jan 27, 2021
Thema:

1. No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT. - Similar Threads - Recovery Partition clone

2. MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop: I have an ASUS laptop with a 25GB factory recovery partition of 64bit windows on MBR disk drive. Since this partition contains the image of windows 64bit which should support UEFI and GPT, will I be able to use this partition for factory recovery if I convert my drive from...
  3. MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop: I have an ASUS laptop with a 25GB factory recovery partition of 64bit windows on MBR disk drive. Since this partition contains the image of windows 64bit which should support UEFI and GPT, will I be able to use this partition for factory recovery if I convert my drive from...
  4. Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT: Hello everyone,I am attempting to convert windows 10 installation from MBR to GPT using the MBR2GPT.EXE tool. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gptThe documentation states:MBR2GPT.EXE converts a disk from the Master Boot Record MBR to the GUID...
  5. Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT: Hello everyone,I am attempting to convert windows 10 installation from MBR to GPT using the MBR2GPT.EXE tool. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gptThe documentation states:MBR2GPT.EXE converts a disk from the Master Boot Record MBR to the GUID...
  6. Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks: I'm trying to convert my MBR partition (which is on an HDD) to a GPT-based boot record, but my OS install is on an SSD (i.e. a different drive than the MBR). I'm not exactly sure how this happened when I was installing Windows; I think the HDD was set as disk 0 while the SSD...
  7. mbr gpt partition help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mbr gpt partition help: hello guys I need help, in windows 10 I converted the ssd disk with mbr partition to gpt using the mbr2gpt / convert command from cmd. Everything works perfect and windows works in uefi mode. but it turns out that I want to install on another partition of another hard drive...
  8. Unable to clone disk: disk contains mismatched GPT and MBR partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to clone disk: disk contains mismatched GPT and MBR partition: Windows 10 is installed on machine and I need to clone the entire disk with Clonezilla. However, it gives an error as This disk contains mismatched GPT and MBR partition. It also says that I have to destroy the GPT partition table to be able to continue. How can I make...
  9. Lost partition drive after conversion of MBR to GPT.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost partition drive after conversion of MBR to GPT.: Hi Guys, May I request your kind assistance or help to recover my deleted/lost partition. I have a lot of important files like documents and pictures that I need to recover *Sad. Please help me guys. Please see the screenshot before the converstion happened. Kind...
  10. Partition Wizard MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partition Wizard MBR to GPT: Hi, Attempting to convert a Win 10 64bit installation from MBR to GPT on a Dell E6410 using PartitionWizardPro v10 on a bootable USB. I have ended up with a system which will not boot. I have not used this software before and feel a bit out of my depth here. Before...