Windows 10: No "rename" or "delete" option for SD card folders or files

Discus and support No "rename" or "delete" option for SD card folders or files in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; How do I restore the option to delete or rename folders/files on an SD card?Not sure when this trouble started.There is no delete or rename option in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Luv2Speed, May 5, 2022.

1. Luv2Speed Win User

No "rename" or "delete" option for SD card folders or files

How do I restore the option to delete or rename folders/files on an SD card?Not sure when this trouble started.There is no delete or rename option in the context options at the top of the respective window - not even a grayed-out icon.All other folders/files that I've checked have both the delete and rename options - just not the SD card.I can copy files from another source to the SD card, but the SD card copy has no rename or delete options. The only way I seem to be able to remove it is enter an "undo" command Ctrl-z, or reformat the SD card. Other USB external storage devices do not hav

:)

Luv2Speed, May 5, 2022

2. Can't delete files from sd card.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1: What is the exact error code/error message you have received when you try to delete/format the files?

2: Is that happening with all the files or with any specific file?

3: Which Operating System are you using?

If you are trying to format the SD card, you may try the following steps.

Please backup your files before proceeding with this step. This will delete all the files saved in the SD Card

Step 1:

Insert the microSD card into your computer card reader. If you do not have a card reader, use a USB card reader to add this capability. If your card reader does not accept microSD cards, insert the card into an SD card adapter
    to convert it to standard SD card size. When doing so, make sure the adapter's lock slider is in the unlocked position.

Step 2:

Click the "Start" button, right-click "Computer" and select "Manage" to open the Computer Management dialog box.

Step 3:

Click "Disk Management" from the left panel.

Step 4:

Right-click the microSD card from the list of storage devices and select "Format."

Step 5:

Click the "File System" drop-down menu and select the file system you wish to use. If the card will be used in personal electronic devices, choose "FAT32" or "FAT." If the card will only be used on your computer, choose "NTFS."

Step 6:

Click "OK" to format the microSD card.

Reply with the required information if the issue is not resolved with the above mentioned steps.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Forum Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 5, 2022
  3. Copying Folders containing Files to an SD Micro card

Hi Colin,

A factor why you're the files/folders that you've transferred isn't showing is due to the configuration of your settings. We recommend that you show the hidden files/folders. Follow the steps below:

• Go to File Explorer > Click View tab.
    • Select Options > Hit Change folder and search options.
    • Go to View tab > Select Show hidden files, folders, and drives under
      Hidden files and folders.
    • Click Apply > Hit OK.

Check if your files/folders are now showing on your Micro SD card.

Keep us updated with the result.

Regile Reb, May 5, 2022
  4. No "rename" or "delete" option for SD card folders or files

Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused No "rename" or "delete" option for SD card folders or files :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well No "rename" or "delete" option for SD card folders or files :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, May 5, 2022
Thema:

No "rename" or "delete" option for SD card folders or files

1. No "rename" or "delete" option for SD card folders or files - Similar Threads - rename delete option

2. Unable to delete SD card files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete SD card files: I am unable to delete files from my SD cards or make edits to file names. I work with hundreds of SD cards for work and have never had this issue before - it is an issue for every single SD card now. All cards are unlocked and I tested this on my personal Apple computer and...
  3. Unable to delete SD card files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete SD card files: I am unable to delete files from my SD cards or make edits to file names. I work with hundreds of SD cards for work and have never had this issue before - it is an issue for every single SD card now. All cards are unlocked and I tested this on my personal Apple computer and...
  4. Windows 11 still does not show Cut Rename Delete options for Files in the SD card used in...

Windows 11 still does not show Cut Rename Delete options for Files in the SD card used in...: I have a SD card used in Canon EOS camera.The card is not locked. It is in read write mode.I can read and copy files in file explorer of my windows 11 Laptop which is up to date. When i Right click on a file this what i get .. No options to delete rename or cutEven Screenshot...
  5. Windows 11 still does not show Cut Rename Delete options for Files in the SD card used in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 still does not show Cut Rename Delete options for Files in the SD card used in...: I have a SD card used in Canon EOS camera.The card is not locked. It is in read write mode.I can read and copy files in file explorer of my windows 11 Laptop which is up to date. When i Right click on a file this what i get...
  6. No "rename" or "delete" option for SD card folders or files

No "rename" or "delete" option for SD card folders or files: How do I restore the option to delete or rename folders/files on an SD card?Not sure when this trouble started.There is no delete or rename option in the context options at the top of the respective window - not even a grayed-out icon.All other folders/files that I've checked...
  7. Rename, move, delete files on a SD card are slow on Surface Pro 5

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rename, move, delete files on a SD card are slow on Surface Pro 5: I have a 128 GB Samsung SD card in my Surface Pro 5 to store pictures, music files on this SD card. Recently I found when I delete, rename, copy, or move a file on the SD card, it is very slow. And the process bar always stuck at around 99% for a few seconds then the...
  8. Disk management - micro SD card renaming

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management - micro SD card renaming: Greetings everyone . My brand new Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Home doesn't recognize my micro SD card. Following instructions that I found on another website I'm trying to change it's drive letter using Disk Manager. This results in the error in the attached screenshot....
  9. Disk management - micro SD card renaming

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk management - micro SD card renaming: Greetings everyone . My brand new Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Home doesn't recognize my micro SD card. Following instructions that I found on another website I'm trying to change it's drive letter using Disk Manager. This results in the error in the attached screenshot....
  10. sd card files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sd card files: Hi I am trying to play files from my Dashcam SD Card I get message saying windows media cant play files as it doesn't know which codec was used to compress the files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-files/7234fbb0-99d2-46fc-8a7d-767106d4691d"