Windows 10: No reset disk. Can I use USB?

Discus and support No reset disk. Can I use USB? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I bought my laptop off of Facebook bad idea, I see now i did not get the reset disk with it. I only got the laptop and that was it. Can I use a SD card... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by MammaJade, Feb 23, 2021.

1. MammaJade Win User

No reset disk. Can I use USB?

I bought my laptop off of Facebook bad idea, I see now i did not get the reset disk with it. I only got the laptop and that was it. Can I use a SD card and download the create a reset disk and put it into my USB drive and download it that way, with out another laptop? Or do I have to create it first before I try to download it onto my laptop? Its a lenovo flex 5 series.

:)

MammaJade, Feb 23, 2021
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Feb 23, 2021
  3. Unable to create a reset passowrd wizard disk.

Hi,

This issue may arise due to the corruptions in the USB drive and as an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to use a different USB drive and check if that helps to resolve the issue.

Also follow the below steps to create a password reset disk:

Please be informed that password reset disks apply to local user accounts. If your Windows 10 user account is connected to your Microsoft account, then you can follow the steps outlined here by Microsoft to begin the password
    reset process:
    https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx

Now please refer to the below steps to create a Password recovery disk applicable for Local accounts.

• Log in to your computer under the user account for which you wish to create a password reset disk. Once logged in, connect your USB flash drive to one of your computer’s USB ports.
    • Open the Start menu and type control panel
      into the search. Open the Control Panel by clicking it in the list of search results.
    • In the Control Panel, ensure the View by drop-down at the upper right is set to
      Category. Then click the User Accounts
      link. On the screen that follows, click the User Accounts
      link once more. Doing so will take you to your user account settings.
    • On the left side of the screen, click the link to Create a password reset disk. The password reset disk wizard will open in a new window.
    • In the first screen that opens, click the Next button. In the subsequent screen, select the USB flash drive that you connected to your computer earlier.
    • You’ll be asked to enter your password on the following screen; do so, then click the
      Next button. The wizard will now create your password reset disk.
    • Ensure you keep your password reset disk in a safe place, as anyone with access to your computer can use it to reset the password for that user account.
    Hope the information is helpful. If you need further assistance, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Krishna Prasobh V, Feb 23, 2021
  4. No reset disk. Can I use USB?

USB Hard Disk Drive not recognised

Hi Nicholson,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select View all on the top left corner.

• Click Hardware and Devices.

• Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2

I suggest you to check if the disk is listed in Disk management utility. If it is listed, run an error check to see if there are any corrupted files causing this issue.
    Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Disk management.

• Right click on the drive and select properties.

• Under tools tab, click on “Check” button under Error Check.
    Method 3: Uninstall and reinstall USB drivers

Follow the steps to uninstall the USB drivers:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.

• In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

• Right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

• Select the option to Delete driver software.

• Uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

• Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest chipset drivers for your computer and install the same.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

No reset disk. Can I use USB?

1. No reset disk. Can I use USB? - Similar Threads - reset disk USB

2. If i use a password reset disk will i lose all the files on the disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If i use a password reset disk will i lose all the files on the disk?: Solane https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-use-a-password-reset-disk-will-i-lose-all-the/29658fcf-8426-41b7-b401-b16c26aaffdd
  3. If i use a password reset disk will i lose all the files on the disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If i use a password reset disk will i lose all the files on the disk?: Solane https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-use-a-password-reset-disk-will-i-lose-all-the/29658fcf-8426-41b7-b401-b16c26aaffdd
  4. Can i use a different pc to make a password reset disk and use it on a different computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i use a different pc to make a password reset disk and use it on a different computer?: I resetted my pin and then i turned off my pc, I turned it on after a while, it says that my pin was resetted and set up a new one, i click set up new pin and it doesnt work , now my 2nd choice is to use my password, which i dont because i use pin to log in, so i try to reset...
  5. Can i use a different pc to make a password reset disk and use it on a different computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can i use a different pc to make a password reset disk and use it on a different computer?: I resetted my pin and then i turned off my pc, I turned it on after a while, it says that my pin was resetted and set up a new one, i click set up new pin and it doesnt work , now my 2nd choice is to use my password, which i dont because i use pin to log in, so i try to reset...
  6. Can i use a different pc to make a password reset disk and use it on a different computer?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. Can I remove Windows from hard disk and use bootable USB?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I remove Windows from hard disk and use bootable USB?: Hey... My computer is very low on memory and most of it is taken by windows. Can I completely remove windows from my computer and use only a bootable USB to run the OS in order to free some space on hard disk? Windows version: 1909 (18363.1016) 163471
  8. Can i use a ipad as a boot disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i use a ipad as a boot disk: can you download windows 10 on a ipad and then plug the ipad into the computer and then boot into windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-a-ipad-as-a-boot-disk/9940b493-f142-49b6-a716-bfe989d5b004
  9. format External USB hard disk before you can use it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    format External USB hard disk before you can use it.: I have an Icybox USB3 external hard drive box, which worked fine until recently. The box has no drivers to install, it uses the ones supplied by Microsoft with Windows. It worked fine with Windows 8, it worked fine with windows 10 when I did the upgrade. I was able to...
  10. Can I use USB for LPT1?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I use USB for LPT1?: Hi. I have downloaded and installed my printer driver--but I think I chose the wrong port. How do I choose? Does my USB function as LPT1? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-usb-for/66770cd7-613e-400d-966a-1d0661547a68