Windows 10: No response if I Right click (Windows Icon on the Taskbar)

Discus and support No response if I Right click (Windows Icon on the Taskbar) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; No response if I Right click (Windows Icon on the Taskbar) the list of items opens , but Nothing appears to happen for example if I click on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by purplemtn, Mar 19, 2016.

1. purplemtn Win User

No response if I Right click (Windows Icon on the Taskbar)

No response if I Right click (Windows Icon on the Taskbar) the list of items opens , but

Nothing appears to happen for example if I click on Programs and Features [ it does Not open the Control Panel ] or none of the other listed Items open anything.

If I press and hold the Start button ( Windows Key?) Nothing opens such as Programs and Features , however when I release the Start Button my normal Apps window opens

Kari "Right click / press and hold the Start button, select Programs and Features:"
    Excel's Avatar and pin to taskbar - Windows 10 Forums

I see that it goes to the Control Panel so should one of the above methoids open the Control Panel if I Right click (Windows Icon on the Taskbar) or if I press and hold the Start button ( Windows Key?) ?

I have the Control Panel Pinned to my Start Menu .

Any Ideas or Help ?

Thanks Rick

:)

purplemtn, Mar 19, 2016

2. No response when I right-click on Windows 10 desktop

i have recently installed windows 10 but when i right-click on the desktop i get no response and so unable to make any changes there.

please, what is a solution?

thanks

Moved from Community Participation Center

Original title: windows 10 desktop

stuartweare, Mar 19, 2016
  3. No response when I right-click on Windows 10 desktop

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you using a desktop computer or Laptop?
    • If you are using a Desktop computer, did you tried with the new mouse?
    If not, I would suggest you to check with the new mouse.

Plug your mouse to different USB port and check if it works.

If doesn't help, try with the methods below and check.

Method 1:I suggest you to run System File Checker, which will check your system for missing, corrupt or damaged files and attempt to fix them.

Please refer the article on “How to run System File Checker” and check if that helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-gb

Method 2:

Also, I would suggest you to perform a clean boot and check.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Hope this helps. If you face any issues with Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 19, 2016
  4. No response if I Right click (Windows Icon on the Taskbar)

Are you running an upgrade or clean install of 10? Where many are seeing similar Start menu issues follows an upgrade install to 10 yet not any upgrade between 10 Insider Preview builds as far as the Control Panel access goes. Other bugs like not being able to open up the Start menu or AllApps are seen when the upgrade doesn't see everything unpacked fully during the install.

The second question besides the type of 10 install you saw would be for how long have you been running into this? Immediately following 10 first going on or now after some amount of time like a hidden bug in Windows springing out of nowhere? The reason for the question being a possible hung update or other type of install for something ending up going sideways on you. The problem however would point mainly at an OS related issue which require a few last resort options such as an inplace Upgrade to Repair or even a full fresh copy of 10 being seen to.

Night Hawk, Mar 19, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Please follow my instructions to the letter..........................

Use the Tech Bench link and download your edition of Win 10 ISO:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w

scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer at the right and select Windows 10 > click Confirm.
    click the pointer and select Language > make sure you pick the same language the computer is now running > click Confirm
    select the bit version, 32 or 64-bit. Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    at the bottom, click the pointer next to Save > click Save As > navigate to a folder of your choice > click the chosen folder > click Save
    The iso will start downloading to your chosen folder.
    When it is done, go to that folder > open the folder > right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe
    Installation will begin.
    It will allow you to keep you files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Mar 19, 2016
  6. What davidhk is suggesting there without first asking which build of 10 are you presently running is an upgrade to repair install outlined in the guide seen at Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

The question here would be which build are you presently running? Did you enable the Get insider builds option and have a newer Insider Preview on and running presently? Other then seeing a newer build replace an older one if the Threshold 2 update from November is what you are running the present form of TH2 at the Tech Bench site would be older then the latest Insider Preview builds and only serve as an OS replacement clean install rather then repair install.

Night Hawk, Mar 19, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Perhaps you should look at the OP's profile.
    The OP is running 10586.164.
    What do you think it is ? What has it got to do with Insider Preview build ?

What are you really taking about ?

davidhk, Mar 19, 2016
  8. No response if I Right click (Windows Icon on the Taskbar)

Simple! The latest 10586.168 not 164 is what you get! The main build number is the same while the release is slightly newer. With any repair done in Windows you have to maintain the same time stamp! Newer can generally only replace the older not repair while older definitely will have to replace newer.

Night Hawk, Mar 19, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    I don't care what you said it is. And I don't care if you have 10586.168.

As far as I am concerned, the latest Win 10 1511 version is 10586.164.
    That's what I get from Windows Update.

And stop all the nonsense about Insider Preview build which has nothing to do with the OP.

I was asking the OP to download Win 10 iso from tech bench and install it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If you have objection to what I posted to the OP, report to the mod.

You post it the way you see fit.
    I post it the way I see fit.

davidhk, Mar 19, 2016
  10. I'm still waiting for the OP to respond to the initial questions asked. You then came in wanting him to immediately go after a last resort type option before anything else has been suggested or tried.

Night Hawk, Mar 19, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    You are waiting.
    That does not mean I have to.
    I didn't ask those "questions".

You do it you way, I mine.

davidhk, Mar 19, 2016
  12. purplemtn Win User
    davidhk and Night Hawk

Sorry for Not getting back to you quicker ( I had gone to bed I'm in the MST zone USA )
    Thanks for your Replies.

This is/was a Clean in stall on a 500 GB SSD on or about 26 Feb 2016

"how long have you been running into this?" = I just Noticed this problem Yesterday 3/19/16 , but I had Never tried to do that before because I did Not know about it and was trying something New from the Remarks made by Kari and the link in my OP

"The problem however would point mainly at an OS related issue which require a few last resort options such as an in place Upgrade to Repair or even a full fresh copy of 10 being seen to" = OK

"Insider Preview build" = Not a Insider Preview member

"The OP is running 10586.164." = Yes I just rechecked that.

"Please follow my instructions to the letter.........................." = OK

I'm doing The "upgrade to repair install outlined in the guide seen at Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    " Now
    Rick
    edit spelling

purplemtn, Mar 19, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

Good luck.
    Please do post back the result.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Mar 19, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Before you start re-installing Windows - create a new local user account, login to the new user account and see if the problem exists in a new user account. If the problem goes away, then it is the old user account that is corrupted, not the Windows installation.

NavyLCDR, Mar 19, 2016
  15. purplemtn Win User
    davidhk "Please do post back the result."

Unfortunately "upgrade to repair install outlined in the guide seen at Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums ' did Not solve the problem

I have burned the New ISO to a DVD and can do a complete Clean Install .

If I'm having this Problem it is possible that there are other "Problems" that have not yet shown up . Opinion ?

Rick

purplemtn, Mar 19, 2016
Thema:

1. No response if I Right click (Windows Icon on the Taskbar) - Similar Threads - response Right click

2. Windows taskbar right click icon’s not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows taskbar right click icon’s not working: The taskbar icons when I right click won’t work since I recently uninstalled the latest update and did a restore point but didn’t show anything when I right click them, I even tried restarting it but nothing. Can someone help me?...
  3. Cannot right-click taskbar icons.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot right-click taskbar icons.: Hi,As per title, I cannot right click my taskbar icons. I can right click start, or the taskbar itself, but not the icons.I cannot perform system restore as there are no restore points before today when the error presented. I have tried restarts, restarting windows explorer,...
  4. Cannot right-click taskbar icons.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot right-click taskbar icons.: Hi,As per title, I cannot right click my taskbar icons. I can right click start, or the taskbar itself, but not the icons.I cannot perform system restore as there are no restore points before today when the error presented. I have tried restarts, restarting windows explorer,...
  5. Cannot right-click taskbar icons.

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Right-click on File Explorer icon on taskbar not responsive on certain networked computers...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right-click on File Explorer icon on taskbar not responsive on certain networked computers...: I have a roaming account for my company's networked computers. OS on them are Window10. On two of them that I frequently use, the right-click on File Explorer icon on taskbar became unresponsive recently. Or should I say, it took more than >10 minutes or perhaps hours to...
  7. cannot right-click on taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cannot right-click on taskbar icons: Hi there I am having an issue with my windows 10 desktop. I cannot right-click on my taskbar icons, I can't open the calendar or the sound mixer. I have tried everything on the internet. I noticed this entire issue began after I removed the razer synapse program from my...
  8. Right click on taskbar icons not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Right click on taskbar icons not working: After windows 2004 update and some other updates right click on taskbar icons not working. I tried several solutions with powershell or with repair install but no luck. I am trying to avoid clean install, I think that the problem is coming with some cumulative. Any solution...
  9. Cant right click taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cant right click taskbar icons: I cannot Right click on my open programs from my taskbar. I also cant left click on my speaker icon to switch sound devicesspeakers to headset. But i can right click to open the settings and all that on the speaker icon. And right click works on all the open programs. This...
  10. Can't right click taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't right click taskbar icons: I can't right click taskbar apps, left click works as it should but not the right click. Also left clicking start button won't open start menu, right click works on this one as it works on other system icons (volume, network, clock and notification) but not the left click....