Windows 10: No sound after installing 10

Discus and support No sound after installing 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I installed windows 10 on my laptop using the media tool. All went fine except i have no sound any suggestions? 10141 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Robinb9, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Robinb9 Win User

No sound after installing 10

I installed windows 10 on my laptop using the media tool. All went fine except i have no sound
    any suggestions?

:)

Robinb9, Jul 29, 2015

2. no sound after installing windows 10 update

I have installed windows 10 ujpdate as instructed by Microsoft email,I now have no sound on my compute at all

petersimcox, Jul 29, 2015
  3. No sound After installing Windows 10

Hey Shubham,try Uninstalling and reinstall your device.

• Right click This PC and open Manage
    • Open device manager
    • look out for Sound video and Game controllers.
    • Right click you sound controller (Realtek HD audio generally)
    • Click uninstall.Make sure that your delete device software check box is unchecked.
    • After uninstalling right click sound, video and game controllers and click scan for Hardware changes.
    Try out if this works.If not, reply back with the results.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 29, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

and I have a laptop that just upgraded via GWX and problem with sound also.

In Playback, it says under Speakers: Wi-Fi Display Virtual Audio Device Not plugged in.

I should mention, that a jack/mic headset was plugged in during upgrade (not USB connection).

I noticed in Notifications, I had two things there: "Wi-Fi Sense needs your attention" and "Finish Installing Device Driver". Clicked on both of those, checked in Device Manager and there are no more bangs, but it still has the red X on the audio icon and the troubleshooter says it's not connected. Will try another reboot (#4).

EDIT: Reboot did not fix things. I tried to update drivers for the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC but I keep getting an error: Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device. A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I'm pretty sure it's working - it was before the upgrade.

simrick, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Robinb9 Win User
    Ok cortona does not talk on my non touch ipad, whynot? Sound works, microphone works. So?

Robinb9, Jul 29, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    Finally got this in Device Manager:

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
    A device attached to the system is not functioning.
    To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver

Followed the instructions found here:

1. Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC on Device Manager.

2. Select Driver tab.
    3. Click Update Driver... button.
    4. Select -> Browse my computer for driver software.
    5. Select -> Let me pickup a list of device drivers on my computer.
    6. Select High Definition Audio Device (Not IDT High Def... this is important.) and click Next.
    Appears Warning message, but reply Yes.
    7. ! Windows has successfully update your driver software.

Key is step 6
    The red X on the audio icon disappeared. Rebooted the computer one more time.

Voila! Worked like a charm!

simrick, Jul 29, 2015
  7. simrick Win User
    Search in Settings for Cortana. Select Cortana Search & Settings. A box will pop up above the search bar with Cortana Settings. Make sure the Let Cortana Respond to Hey Cortana selection is set to ON.

simrick, Jul 29, 2015
  8. No sound after installing 10

This worked "like a charm" for me on my HP Pavilion desktop. I had practically given up trying to fix the back "Line In" not working. Even though the DTS sound management software showed a jack plugged in, the Windows Control Panel's Sound function insisted there was nothing plugged in, and the DTS sound management greyed out the volume slider for Line in. I had resorted to using the front Mic input in desperation.
    The DTS sound management software doesn't work now, but it was a pain anyway, it kept forgetting settings and interfering with the sound in unwanted ways.
    Thanks heaps.

flamencoprof, Feb 15, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Hi flamencoprof and welcome to Tenforums.

Thanks for posting your success with the method above; glad it worked for you! *Smile

simrick, Feb 15, 2016
  10. Dias1213 Win User
    For any Issues for the ASUS T100 TAM TA TAF 2-1 tablet. update to latest Bios. from Austech Web site Bios Version T400 . Installed the Bios (Don't forger to download the Bios Installation tool) After installation is completed The issues with sound, camera, and U-known devices will be eliminated (Window 10 Only.. Works with anniversary)

Dias1213, Aug 15, 2016
  11. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I realize this is a couple years after you posted the solution for no sound on Windows 10 on the IDT Hi Def CODEC, but you have helped me so tremendously! I'm working on a four-year old HP Phoenix Envy, and finally reset it and installed Win 10 clean this morning and it has had no sound since. After four hours (yes, I persevere), I found your post and your solution worked instantly. I might add, this computer was "fixed" once at the factory and it no longer connects with audio in the back of the case, it has to be plugged in to the headphone jack on top, so that threw me for a while.
    It's users/posters like you who take the mysteries out of computer fixing for me, a little old lady with a big interest in tech, and everything I know, I owe to kind and thoughtful people such as you. Please know that that one post has probably helped a whole lot of us out here, trying to catch up on technology before it passes us by. We all appreciate your time and trouble.

Thanks again!

Marjorie

MerryMarjie, Sep 7, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    Hi MerryMarjie and welcome to Tenforums.
    Glad to hear that helped you. Cheers! *Thumbs

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No sound after installing 10 - Similar Threads - sound installing

2. Audio Driver installed but no sound output/input - No audio device found - Lenovo

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Driver installed but no sound output/input - No audio device found - Lenovo: My laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen using Window 10. The original audio driver is IntelR Display Audio with device status: "This device is working properly" in properties. However, there is "no output/input device found" in the sound settings and the headphone jack...
  3. Audio Driver installed but no sound output/input - No audio device found - Lenovo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio Driver installed but no sound output/input - No audio device found - Lenovo: My laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen using Window 10. The original audio driver is IntelR Display Audio with device status: "This device is working properly" in properties. However, there is "no output/input device found" in the sound settings and the headphone jack...
  4. Audio Driver installed but no sound output/input - No audio device found - Lenovo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. No Sound after installing insider preview 10.0.26052.1100

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Sound after installing insider preview 10.0.26052.1100: I installed insider preview 10.0.26052.1100 today, after the reboot there was no audio. the Volume is off and won't turn on, I can move the slider up, but it immediately goes all the way down.When I look at device manager, Sound, Video and Game controllers. I have 2 entries...
  6. No Sound after installing insider preview 10.0.26052.1100

No Sound after installing insider preview 10.0.26052.1100: I installed insider preview 10.0.26052.1100 today, after the reboot there was no audio. the Volume is off and won't turn on, I can move the slider up, but it immediately goes all the way down.When I look at device manager, Sound, Video and Game controllers. I have 2 entries...
  7. Sound isn't working after installing vac

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound isn't working after installing vac: Hi.. I was just following some tutorial to install something but the game didn't work so I tried another tutorial which requires me to install VAC Virtual Audio Cable. And all of a sudden sound didn't work and I tried to follow another tutorial but failed, I tried doing it on...
  8. Sound isn't working after installing vac

Sound isn't working after installing vac: Hi.. I was just following some tutorial to install something but the game didn't work so I tried another tutorial which requires me to install VAC Virtual Audio Cable. And all of a sudden sound didn't work and I tried to follow another tutorial but failed, I tried doing it on...
  9. I can't install dts sound unbound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't install dts sound unbound: he writes try again later there is an internal problem and what to do in this case https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-install-dts-sound-unbound/6151515c-160c-43f1-9505-1bb5b3369561
  10. I can't install dts sound unbound

I can't install dts sound unbound: he writes try again later there is an internal problem and what to do in this case https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-install-dts-sound-unbound/6151515c-160c-43f1-9505-1bb5b3369561