Windows 10: No sound at all, speakers or headphones. USB headphones work. Error: "Can't play. Make...

Discus and support No sound at all, speakers or headphones. USB headphones work. Error: "Can't play. Make... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a user who no longer gets any sound on her system - laptop speakers, headphone jack, headphone jack from her dock, all are not working. I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KarstenS389, Aug 31, 2020.

1. No sound at all, speakers or headphones. USB headphones work. Error: "Can't play. Make...

I have a user who no longer gets any sound on her system - laptop speakers, headphone jack, headphone jack from her dock, all are not working. I can get a pair of external USB headphones to work, but that's it. I've tried many many fixes already and am at my wits end.

So far I've tried the following, nothing worked:

un/reinstalled device, no change, didn't find new drivers

installed latest Realtek drivers from lenovo site correct and standard for this laptop, installed/rebooted, no change

verified all device and software settings
    start > sound - nothing helpful there, main speakers already set as default, troubleshooting button just takes me to KB that has nothing on the subject
    Ran the audio troubleshooter, confirmed windows was not connecting to the sound, the error message made it sound system/OS related, didn't screenshot it sorry
    start > control panel > sound - changed the default, turned off audio enhancements/soundeffects
    right clicked speaker symbol, checked volume mixer, made sure not disabled
    services > Selected each of the following services, right-clicked, restarted:
    Windows Audio
    Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
    Remote Procedure Call RPC
    software center, checked for a new update - none available
    Turned off any enhancements or audio acceleration in Speakers > properties
    Tried to update the BIOS from Windows: BIOS shows as already the latest version
    Changed default sound format: Right-clicked the sound icon in the taskbar > Select Sounds > Advanced tab > Default Format, altered sample rate and bit depth, 16 or 24 bit, 44100Hz bit, 24 bit 16 bit 48k etc, none of the settings worked

it doesn't look like a hardware error, there are no red X's anywhere, device manager sees the device as per normal, etc

Lenovo ThinkPad T490

Windows 10.0.19041
    Processor: Intel Core i5-8365U CPU @ 1.60GHz
    Motherboard: LENOVO 20N20043US
    Graphics: IntelR UHD Graphics 620 1.0 GB
    Audio: IntelR Display Audio
    Realtek High Definition AudioSST
    ThinkPad Dock USB Audio

:)

KarstenS389, Aug 31, 2020
  2. txstoby Win User

Speakers playing when headphones are plugged in

I have an HP laptop with windows 10. When my headphones are plugged in, the speakers are still playing. When I go to sounds, the only device listed is the speakers. How can I silence the speakers when the headphones are plugged in.

txstoby, Aug 31, 2020
  3. No sound from headphones but speakers work.

No Its Just A Speaker

glockafella, Aug 31, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

No sound at all, speakers or headphones. USB headphones work. Error: "Can't play. Make...

No sound from headphones but speakers work.

Hi, what sort of headphones are they? Plain ordinary analogue.. USB..?
    Do they require a driver? If so, is it installed ok?

There are several threads about headphone issues on this forum, so suggest you also try searching the forum for 'headphones'. May give you a clue.

E.g.
    Audio Issues - Quiet no detection of headphones - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Cannot connect to bluetooth headphones after upgrade to Win10 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Aug 31, 2020
Thema:

No sound at all, speakers or headphones. USB headphones work. Error: "Can't play. Make...

1. No sound at all, speakers or headphones. USB headphones work. Error: "Can't play. Make... - Similar Threads - sound speakers headphones

2. No sound on speaker, but on headphone is worked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No sound on speaker, but on headphone is worked: Hello,So last week I go to a computer repair service to replace my laptop's keyboard my laptop still on Windows 10. When I take it back, I noticed that the computer can't automatically switch between speaker and headphone. I bring my laptop again to them and they tried to do...
  3. No sound on speaker, but on headphone is worked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No sound on speaker, but on headphone is worked: Hello,So last week I go to a computer repair service to replace my laptop's keyboard my laptop still on Windows 10. When I take it back, I noticed that the computer can't automatically switch between speaker and headphone. I bring my laptop again to them and they tried to do...
  4. Bluetooth Headphones Not Playing Sound At All

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth Headphones Not Playing Sound At All: Hi Everyone,I just bought a laptop today with Windows 11. I am trying to hook up my bluetooth earbuds to it. It says connected for music and calls, but when I go to play anything, there is no sound coming out. I checked they drives it says that they are updated. Was wondering...
  5. Bluetooth Headphones Not Playing Sound At All

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth Headphones Not Playing Sound At All: Hi Everyone,I just bought a laptop today with Windows 11. I am trying to hook up my bluetooth earbuds to it. It says connected for music and calls, but when I go to play anything, there is no sound coming out. I checked they drives it says that they are updated. Was wondering...
  6. Winfows 10 recognises Headphones as Speakers and Speakers as Headphones. Headphones sound...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Winfows 10 recognises Headphones as Speakers and Speakers as Headphones. Headphones sound...: I have no idea how to fix this, all I know is it's been an issue for years now, since I first built this PC, I would really appreciate any input as I can't find a solution anywhere. Thanks. Some more details: I use Realtek Audio Console. I have my headphones and mic plugged...
  7. Speakers and headphones wont make/take sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Speakers and headphones wont make/take sound: I turned on my PC this morning to talk to my friend on discord he couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear him, so then i went to youtube and sure enough i couldn't hear anything, then I tried an online game and I couldn't hear the game or talk. i contacted microsoft support but...
  8. Sound Headphones - Speaker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Headphones - Speaker: So i have speaker and headphones. When i plugg in just one of them, in sounds at playback it appears like "speaker", if i plugg in both of devices, the same appears in sounds at playback. I don't know how to make 2 "things" in sound settings. 1 for speaker and 1 for...
  9. Sound playing through both speakers and headphones

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound playing through both speakers and headphones: Thank you for your time in advance. Since the latest larger windows update about a month ago, I have been having a problem that I cannot seem to solve with the standard solutions and what I could find from googling several hours on several days. Upon starting my computer,...
  10. Computer Speakers Not Playing Sound But Headphones Do

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer Speakers Not Playing Sound But Headphones Do: My desktop speakers are not playing sound. The drivers are up to date and they are set as my default playback device in sound settings. I used to be able to switch between my speakers and my headset on the task bar, but now only "speakers" are shown and I can't switch to my...