Windows 10: No sound coming from my laptop after an update.

Discus and support No sound coming from my laptop after an update. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was watching a movie when my laptop restarted for an update. After that, I could hear no sound either from the inbuilt speakers or using headphones.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RajatJindal, Oct 21, 2018.

1. No sound coming from my laptop after an update.

I was watching a movie when my laptop restarted for an update. After that, I could hear no sound either from the inbuilt speakers or using headphones. My laptop uses Realtek sound drivers as the default. I have tried reinstalling, updating, rolling back the drivers. But I can hear no sound whatsoever.

So, I tried to update Realtek driver with the Microsoft sound driver. There are two problems with this-

a) Distortion of sound in earphones while my earphones are completely fine

b) Automatic reinstallation of Realtek driver, which leads to No Sound mode again.

I have tried many things in the last three days but nothing seems to be working for me.

P.S. I have also tried restoring windows to an earlier point in time, but windows for some reason can not fetch the restore files- an error which I get even after trying the same using different restore points.

:)

RajatJindal, Oct 21, 2018
  2. cadaveca Win User

Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue No sound coming from my laptop after an update. :p

cadaveca, Oct 21, 2018
  3. Sound coming from both the laptop and headset in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1

I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter. Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the Sound driver

I suggest you to try uninstall the Sound drivers check if it works for you.
    Follow the steps to uninstall the Sound drivers:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Sound, Video and Game Controllers.
    • Right-click on the Audio devices listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Try to access the device manufacturer's website and download and install the latest chipset and sound drivers.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Oct 21, 2018
  4. Opie540 Win User

No sound coming from my laptop after an update.

sound distorted after windows 10 anniversary upgrade

This is where I'm at on my HP laptop with Windows 10 and the Anniversary update.

I completed step #3 "hardware and sound" but that took me to an option for "sound, speakers." There was no "properties" as step #4 suggests. I selected "sound, speakers" and then found "properties." After selecting "properties" there was no "enhancements
    tab" as step #5 suggests.

Regardless, I then uninstalled the realtek audio driver. I noticed that when I did this without restarting my laptop that the sound was now tinny, but not distorted as it was previously. After restarting, the sound was again full, yet distorted.

Realtek still shows in my programs list, though it shows no memory is used.

Thanks for your continued help.

Opie540, Oct 21, 2018
Thema:

No sound coming from my laptop after an update.

1. No sound coming from my laptop after an update. - Similar Threads - sound coming laptop

2. No sound coming from laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No sound coming from laptop: Hello, I have a Lenovo Ideapad 5 running Windows 10. Although the sound icon appears to be working, no sound is coming from the laptop. I have been through all of these Windows troubleshooting steps:...
  3. Sound not coming from the laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound not coming from the laptop: Sound output not coming from Micromax Canvas Lapbook L1161. The red cross is displaying in the taskbar and says that no output device is installed. I have tried almost everything to bring back my audio. I have tried updating and installing the driver which came inbuilt in...
  4. Sound not coming from Laptop at all.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sound not coming from Laptop at all.: Hi, recently my Alienware laptop's sound has stopped working altogether. Nothing comes from the speakers at all, nor when I plug in headphones. I am not sure what the problem could be, and I would love it if Microsoft support could get back to me quickly in solving this...
  5. Sound coming from both headphones and laptop speakers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sound coming from both headphones and laptop speakers?: Hey guys, I have been trying to fix this problem all day. My laptop has sound coming from both the speakers and a headset when I plug it in. I want it to be able to play sound from the headset when it's in and not from the laptop's speakers, until I take the headset back out....
  6. My sound coming from my speaker

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    My sound coming from my speaker: Hi, I have sound issue in my laptop. My mic is capturing my sound or other environment sound and playing it via speaker. I am not able to disable it. Please guide to disable the sound...
  7. No sound comes through the microphone on my laptop.

No sound comes through the microphone on my laptop.: I have a Dell G3 15 3590 I have gone on to the sound control panel, set Headphones, RealtekR Audio to the default device for playback, I have also set Microphone, RealtekR Audio to the default device for recording. I have made sure they are both enabled, turned the...
  8. Random sounds, robotic voice coming from laptop

Random sounds, robotic voice coming from laptop: Sometimes I just hear a random noise, usually music or a robotic voice, coming from my laptop, that's not from any applications. It's loud and freaks me out. I'm not sure what exactly it is, unless I've got a virus or something. Does anyone know what it is? Last time the...
  9. Sound Coming from Laptop As Oppose to Monitor?

Sound Coming from Laptop As Oppose to Monitor?: Have dell xps 15 9550. I have 2 monitors connected to my laptop. One via hdmi cable as always and one that is a usb c to hdmi cable. Previously i only had one monitor connected and it was with the hdmi to hdmi cable. I notice that when i play sound, the sound is coming from...
  10. Sound Coming from Laptop As Oppose to Monitor?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sound Coming from Laptop As Oppose to Monitor?: Have dell xps 15 9550. I have 2 monitors connected to my laptop. One via hdmi cable as always and one that is a usb c to hdmi cable. Previously i only had one monitor connected and it was with the hdmi to hdmi cable. I notice that when i play sound, the sound is coming from...