Windows 10: No sound from laptop when speakers are disconnected

Discus and support No sound from laptop when speakers are disconnected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an elderly (7 years old) Dell Inspiron 17 R that I keep as a fallback laptop. I have Win 10 Pro, fully up-to date. I recently lost sound, when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OldGrantonian, Sep 3, 2020.

1. No sound from laptop when speakers are disconnected

I have an elderly (7 years old) Dell Inspiron 17 R that I keep as a fallback laptop. I have Win 10 Pro, fully up-to date.

I recently lost sound, when no external speakers are connected. (For info related to speakers, see further down this post.)

The following are my troubleshooting steps.

------------------------------

Windows Audio is running.

External speakers are disconnected.

In Device Manager > Sound

Disable, then re-enable:

- IDT High Definition Audio
    - Intel Display Audio

That did not resolve the issue.
    ------------------------------------
    Download and run: Intel Driver and Support Assistant.

-------------------------------------

Control Panel > Sound > Playback tab

Select "Speakers/Headphones"

Click Configure

Click Test

Both speakers pass

-----------------------------------------

Sound is OK from both speakers when they are connected. But on this specific laptop, I really have no interest in any sound coming from the external speakers (or headphones). I simply want the sound from the laptop itself.

How can I restore my sound?

Footnote: I have no Realtek driver. Is that unusual? I can't remember whether the old laptop actually had a Realtek.

Thanks.

:)

OldGrantonian, Sep 3, 2020

2. Disable beep sound when plugging/unplugging laptop charger

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps.

Disable the PC Speakers and check if it helps.

• Right click on Sound Icon in the task bar and go to Playback devices.
    • Select Speaker and click on properties.
    • Go to Levels tab, and mute (or you can reduce it) PC Speaker and check if it helps.

Vanan Iyer, Sep 3, 2020
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue No sound from laptop when speakers are disconnected :p

cadaveca, Sep 3, 2020
  4. fireberd Win User

No sound from laptop when speakers are disconnected

No sound from speakers/headphones

Disconnect the front panel headphone/mic jacks from the motherboard and then see if the rear panel GREEN speaker jack works (either with speakers or headset). This is in case the front panel jack is causing no audio out. Power off the PC before opening and disconnecting the front panel audio.

The connector for the front panel audio is listed as #21 on the motherboard drawing (below).

No sound from laptop when speakers are disconnected [​IMG]

fireberd, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

No sound from laptop when speakers are disconnected

1. No sound from laptop when speakers are disconnected - Similar Threads - sound laptop speakers

2. When Bluetooth disconnects, sound starts playing from speakers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When Bluetooth disconnects, sound starts playing from speakers: I work on an HP Elitebook and I use Samsung Galaxy Buds. Whenever I disconnect my Buds or just put them back in their case, music or whatever audio I'm listening to starts playing from the computer's speakers. It's fine for the most part, but it's uncomfortable and disruptive...
  3. When Bluetooth disconnects, sound starts playing from speakers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When Bluetooth disconnects, sound starts playing from speakers: I work on an HP Elitebook and I use Samsung Galaxy Buds. Whenever I disconnect my Buds or just put them back in their case, music or whatever audio I'm listening to starts playing from the computer's speakers. It's fine for the most part, but it's uncomfortable and disruptive...
  4. Paused audio will resume on laptop speaker when bluetooth speakers disconnect

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Paused audio will resume on laptop speaker when bluetooth speakers disconnect: I'm not able to find information about this 'issue'. So this is what's happening; i listen to music either with Groove, Spotifiy or watching videos / music off youtube on my bluetooth speaker connected on my laptop. I pause the music, after a while my bluetooth speaker turn...
  5. No Sound from Speakers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Sound from Speakers: Realteck Sound does not work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-from-speakers/720ccda7-6688-414c-9f91-8b2817678d2d
  6. Weird sound from laptop speaker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Weird sound from laptop speaker: Asking this question again as there's been many things I've tried since I last asked. There's a weird sound coming my computer's speaker and I can't seem to isolate the problem. At first, there was an issue with generic audio driver detected, so I figured that's what was...
  7. Weird sound from laptop speaker glitch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird sound from laptop speaker glitch: My laptop speaker is making weird buzzing/static sound when audio is coming through my headphones. The only way to stop it is to disable my laptop speakers, which also disables my headphones, due to it being plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack. I have tried everything, from...
  8. no sound from speaker

in Windows 10 Customization
    no sound from speaker: today i put new motherboard. new processor , new window10 pro from microsoft. but no sound from speaker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-from-speaker/8abd7dd7-e612-4081-ab79-a9e37a6ca32a
  9. No sound from speakers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No sound from speakers: After the last Win 10 update on March 31, I no longer have any sound from my speakers. Tried deleting and reinstalling the sound card/driver. No success. Suggestions?...
  10. Phantom typing sounds from laptop speakers when no one is typing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Phantom typing sounds from laptop speakers when no one is typing: Bios check is fine. Antivirus Symantec EndPoint scan is clean. MalwareBytes scan incl root kits is clean. SpyBot search and Destroy scan clean. HP Pavilion dv7 64 bit laptop running Win10 Pro v.1803.17134.648. This has been happening now for over a year on this particular...