Windows 10: No sound on laptop: "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" - Realtek audio driver "is...

Discus and support No sound on laptop: "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" - Realtek audio driver "is... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there,This issue randomly occurred at some point over the past week, potentially triggered by a Windows Update? Classic red X on the speaker icon in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Pixelled03, Jun 4, 2021.

1. No sound on laptop: "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" - Realtek audio driver "is...

Hi there,This issue randomly occurred at some point over the past week, potentially triggered by a Windows Update? Classic red X on the speaker icon in the bottom right. I am on a Dell laptop so all speakers are internal.I will list the symptoms and my attempted solutions.Symptoms- No sound: no sound from internal speakers nor from any headphones.- Red x on speaker icon: "No speakers or headphones are plugged in."- Right-clicking on speaker icon: "Speaker Setup: UNKNOWN"- "Playing Audio" troubleshooter only gives:- The speaker, headset or headphone is unplugged - Not fixed- Hardware changes mi

:)

Pixelled03, Jun 4, 2021
  2. tgbotg Win User

Mic plugged in, no sound from speakers

My laptop has a port for a mic/headphone combination. When I plug in the mic, sound does not come from the speakers of my laptop. I can't find a way to prioritize the speakers over the headphones, since they are combined in the audio settings. Is there another way to do this without any addition hardware (e.g. splitter, bluetooth speakers/headphones)? Thanks!

Audio driver is RealTek HD Audio and I just updated it.

tgbotg, Jun 4, 2021
  3. Latest Realtek HD Audio Driver Version [2]

I just built a new rig with a ASRock X470 Taichi motherboard and Win 10 64bit 1903. I downloaded the driver from my motherboard's site (Realtek high definition audio driver ver:8668_UAD_WHQL_DTS) and then ran the powershell script to detect the driver type.

Since I couldn't get more than 1 output, I also tried the latest driver in the 1st post (HDA DRIVER VERSION: 6.0.8716.1).

No matter what is plugged in, I only have 1 playback/output device.

• I plug my speakers into rear panel = audio plays out the speakers and listed as Speakers (Realtek Audio)
    • I plug my headphones into front panel = audio plays out my headphones and listed as Speakers (Realtek Audio)
    • I plug my headphones into front panel and speakers into rear panel = audio plays out of front panel and listed as Speakers (Realtek Audio)

I used to be able to switch between front and rear when both were plugged in. Anyone have any suggestions?

monsterenergy22, Jun 4, 2021
  4. Nexu Win User

No sound on laptop: "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" - Realtek audio driver "is...

No sound from speaker/headphone output jack with Realtek ALC269

Sometime during the March updates the Windows Update completely broke my laptop system (Acer Aspire 5820TG - 424G50Mn). I ignored it for a long time due to lack of spare time until I saw a few days ago that Redstone 5 was available for download and now I finally have some time to take care of my laptop. I decided to perform a clean install of Insider Preview on my SSD.
    But now after the clean install I noticed my audio device isn't working as it should. I get sound out of the laptop speakers, but when I plug in my speaker or headphones in the audio jack, no sound comes out of it. The volume mixer tells me there is audio signal. The jack detection is working as the Realtek Audio Manager warns me (after I enabled it) when something gets plugged in or unplugged. It even correctly mutes the laptop speaker. But the just no actual sound coming out of the speakers/headphones.

OS Version 10.0.17758.1 (Win10 RS5 Insider Preview)

Device Description Realtek ALC269
    Device Description (Windows) Realtek High Definition Audio
    Device Type Audio
    Bus Type HDAUDIO
    Device ID 10EC-0269
    Subsystem ID 1025-035D
    Revision 1001
    Hardware ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_1025035D&REV_1001

Device Identifier Device Description
    midi-out.0 0001 001B Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
    mixer.0 0001 0068 Speakers (Realtek High Definiti
    mixer.1 0001 0068 Realtek Digital Output (Realtek
    mixer.2 0001 0068 Microphone (Realtek High Defini
    wave-in.0 0001 0065 Microphone (Realtek High Defini
    wave-out.0 0001 0064 Speakers (Realtek High Definiti
    wave-out.1 0001 0064 Realtek Digital Output (Realtek

It's not a hardware failure in anyway since the laptop and the sound system works PERFECTLY (sound out of laptop speaker, sound out of headphone/speaker when audio jack plugged in) if I boot up in Linux. Microphone jack does function properly in both Windows 10 and Linux.

I tried all kind of drivers, from laptop manufacturer, to Realtek's, to the ones in Windows Update Catalogue. Non of them seem to fix the issue

I tried various drivers:
    • 64-bits drivers offered for my laptop model on the Acer website
    • Generic 64-bits drivers offered on the Realtek website
    • Drivers offered on the Windows Update Catalogue
    Non of them helps fixing the issue of no sound coming out of the output jack.
    I know 100% that it's not a hardware issue since my Linux install are working fine. So that makes me believe it's either a driver issue (quite some people seem to have this problem as well with Realtek) or a Windows issue.

I really need some help to resolve this...

Nexu, Jun 4, 2021
Thema:

No sound on laptop: "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" - Realtek audio driver "is...

1. No sound on laptop: "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" - Realtek audio driver "is... - Similar Threads - sound laptop speakers

2. headphones plugged in but sound coming from speakers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    headphones plugged in but sound coming from speakers: Hi,My daughter's new laptop HP Windows 11, purchased 8 months ago is having an issue with the headphones. In the last couple of days, whenever she plugs them in, the sound still comes from the speakers, not the headphones. These are simple wired in-ear headphones that work...
  3. no speakers or headphones are plugged in driver uninstalled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no speakers or headphones are plugged in driver uninstalled: It suddenly happened, not from any updatesAfter checking some websites, i uninstalled the realtek sound manager under sound video and game controllers in device managerbut after restarting, windows did not install realtek sound manager. Instead I had high definition audio...
  4. Realtek Speaker/Headphones Audio

Realtek Speaker/Headphones Audio: Hi, I have Windows 10 21H1 installed on my PC. I have a issue with Realtek Audio. I want to use both - my computer's inbuilt speaker and Headphones but am unable to do so. When I connect my headphones, I get audio output from my headphones, but If I want to change it to my...
  5. Audio Issues "No speakers or headphones plugged in."

Audio Issues "No speakers or headphones plugged in.": Hello everyone, 2019 iMac 21.5 windows bootcamp my audio isn't working and whenever I hover over it, it says "No speakers or headphones plugged in." But I have my headphones plugged in and it says that all of my PC's built in speakers all unplugged, but they're all plugged...
  6. Sound Not Working, 'No speakers or headphones are plugged in'

Sound Not Working, 'No speakers or headphones are plugged in': The sound is not working and it does not even register my laptops speakers as existing, there is a red x on the volume icon on the bottom of my page. The sound does however playback when I connect a Bluetooth device and it plays back on the device just fine. When I disconnect...
  7. Realtek HD audio speakers "Not plugged in"

Realtek HD audio speakers "Not plugged in": please help me[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/realtek-hd-audio-not-plugged-in/2641c392-3b1c-46c8-b52e-e04b050c3430
  8. no sound on speaker but have sound while plugged in headphone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    no sound on speaker but have sound while plugged in headphone: my laptop suddenly does not have sound on speaker, only while i plugged in my headphone. I have tried every thing that discussed on the internet such as reinstall, disable the driver....
  9. audio problem: "no speakers or headphones are plugged in"

audio problem: "no speakers or headphones are plugged in": hi, i've been having serious audio issues with my computer, an asus x555ya, for almost three weeks now. the sound icon on my taskbar has a red x on it. i've tried every single solution on the internet to no avail; attempted to update/reinstall my audio driver only to find out...
  10. Laptop speakers and plugged in headphone audio plays at the same time

Laptop speakers and plugged in headphone audio plays at the same time: Just downloaded the most recent Windows 10 update. But now, even when my headphones are plugged in, I get audio from both the headphone and the internal speakers. Instead of a separate "speaker" and "headphone" sections in the sounds menu, it's listed as...