Windows 10: no sound when I plug in my headphones

Discus and support no sound when I plug in my headphones in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I plug in my headphones, windows turns the sound down to zero. I am on a windows 10 desktop computer that is a few months old. Today is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LUVSITE, Jun 19, 2019.

1. LUVSITE Win User

no sound when I plug in my headphones

When I plug in my headphones, windows turns the sound down to zero. I am on a windows 10 desktop computer that is a few months old. Today is the first time I've tried to use my old headphones. Following advice online I went to SOUND - COMMUNICATIONS and set it to NOTHING, but that didn't fix the problem. I'm sure windows is trying to do the right thing, thinking I am doing something that requires it to turn down the sound. I am trying to play a video, using the windows media player. I was also given the advice to uninstall realtech audio, which I did, but the problem remains. Whenever I USB plug in the headphones , windows shuts down the sound to zero, no sound at all. I can move the slider as many times as I like to 100% sound, and it will immediately move the slider back to zero. Short of a nuclear weapon destroying windows, do you have any suggestions for how I can stop this insanity? The sound works fine with my headphones disconnected, but Windows doesn't want me to use my headphones

:)

LUVSITE, Jun 19, 2019

2. Sound problems when plugging in headphones

Since buying a new laptop and updating to windows 10 I have had a problem with the sound, the problem being that when I plug in a set of headphones I manually have to go on playback devices to set my headphones as default and also on the volume mixer to select my headphones on the drop down arrow or else the sound will keep coming out of my speakers. Basically it is not doing anything automatically, so everytime I plug in headphones, or connect to the tv I have to change everything manually, and do the same thing when disconnecting or else there will be no sound atall.

I did read on the internet that by plugging in my headphones and then making them my default sounds device would work because it is supposed to automatically change when they are unplugged but unfortunately this is not the case for me. Also I am curious as to why even when I don't have my headphones plugged in, they are still listed under playback, but it does not say they are unplugged. I would appreciate anybody who can help me with this problem because I have run out of ideas.

Many thanks in advance

flyingdragon91, Jun 27, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Jun 27, 2019
  4. no sound when I plug in my headphones

Headphones are plugged in, but the sound doesn't come through.

Hi,

Please follow the below mentioned steps to set the Headphone as the default device:

Open Control Panel and select Sound.

When the Sound dialog appears click the Playback tab.

Verify if the Headphone is listed and the right sound card listed under playback devices.

If so, right click the Headphone device and click on default playback device.

If they are not listed, Right click on the blank space and click on show disabled device.

If the Headphone gets listed,

Right click the “Headphone” select “Enable”. Right click the “Headphone” again and select “Set as default device” from the same list.

Click “Ok”. Now remove and reconnect the Headphone and check.

Let me know if that helps.

Kind Regards,

Engr. Jamshed Muhammad

JamshedMuhammad Khan, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

no sound when I plug in my headphones

1. no sound when I plug in my headphones - Similar Threads - sound plug headphones

2. no sound, no speakers or headphone plugged

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no sound, no speakers or headphone plugged: after reinstall windows 10 no speakers or headphone plugged in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-no-speakers-or-headphone-plugged/09f9bee2-88bf-43fe-8521-66392e32e827
  3. no sound, no speakers or headphone plugged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no sound, no speakers or headphone plugged: after reinstall windows 10 no speakers or headphone plugged in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-no-speakers-or-headphone-plugged/09f9bee2-88bf-43fe-8521-66392e32e827
  4. no sound, no speakers or headphone plugged

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. When i plug my headphones in my pc there is a buzzing noise and no sound.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When i plug my headphones in my pc there is a buzzing noise and no sound.: The buzzing noise seems to change when i move my mouse and click on things but it is still there.The buzzing sound gets lower only if i lower the volume only from my headset....
  6. When i plug my headphones in my pc there is a buzzing noise and no sound.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When i plug my headphones in my pc there is a buzzing noise and no sound.: The buzzing noise seems to change when i move my mouse and click on things but it is still there.The buzzing sound gets lower only if i lower the volume only from my headset....
  7. When i plug my headphones in my pc there is a buzzing noise and no sound.

8. Headphone jack makes unbearable static sound when I plug headphones in

Headphone jack makes unbearable static sound when I plug headphones in: I have had a brand new a Dell Inspiron 5406 2in1 for a few weeks now, and whenever I plug headphones into the headphone jack, it makes a static sound that replaces any audio that I am meant to be listening to. This issue is not with the headphones as I have tried multiple...
  9. when headphones plugged in sound comes out of speaker to.

when headphones plugged in sound comes out of speaker to.: I have a HP Pavilion Laptop and ever since I downloaded the latest windows update my audio has been really glitchy, first off whenever I use headphones I have to restart my laptop for them to work secondly, when headphones are plugged in audio plays from the speaker thirdly...
  10. Sound problems when plugging in headphones

Sound problems when plugging in headphones: Since buying a new laptop and updating to windows 10 I have had a problem with the sound, the problem being that when I plug in a set of headphones I manually have to go on playback devices to set my headphones as default and also on the volume mixer to select my headphones...